Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Just got a WideScreen Plasma HDTV - I see black bars on top and bottom when watching dvds!!

Sammy77
New User

Jun 14, 2005, 3:24 AM

Post #1 of 2 (2466 views)
Shortcut
Just got a WideScreen Plasma HDTV - I see black bars on top and bottom when watching dvds!! Can't Post

I see black bars on the top and bottom when I watch DVDs.

Is this normal?

I thought that with a widescreen TV you can watch widescreen dvds without the black bars.

Also, if it is normal, will the black bars cause damage to my plasma tv? Because I know there is a screen-burn problem with plasma TV's when the same picture is shown for a long period of time. Can the black bars get burnt into the TV and damage it?

Here is the TV I bought:

http://configure.us.dell.com/...oc=w4200hd&s=dhs

Smile

(This post was edited by Sammy77 on Jun 14, 2005, 3:25 AM)

Robroy
User

Jun 14, 2005, 6:03 AM

Post #2 of 2 (2459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sammy77] Just got a WideScreen Plasma HDTV - I see black bars on top and bottom when watching dvds!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a nice Dell, did you get the $700 rebate? Anyway, you need to go into your DVD players set up menu and make sure it is set to 16:9 or wide screen, then go into the TVs set up and make sure it is set for 16:9 or full screen. After that then most DVDs should play full screen but not all, some will still show small black bars on the top and bottom. That is because not all movies/DVDs are produced in full 16:9. If you just watch movies and don't leave it on like that over night then burn in shouldn't be a problem at all. Burn in seems to happen when bright images are left on in one spot for a long time.

(This post was edited by Robroy on Jun 14, 2005, 6:07 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)