Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Need help! Plasma won't stay on! (update 10/3)

gnut22
New User

Sep 14, 2010, 5:04 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1847 views)
Shortcut
Need help! Plasma won't stay on! (update 10/3) Can't Post

Owner of a 3 year old 50" Vizio Plasma (p50hdtv10a) that may be on its way out to pasture... so I decided to register to hopefully get some positive feedback here. <br> <br>The problem I have is that after powering on, the tv will randomly "click/pop" and turn off. The yellow indicator light flashes and the tv must be unplugged then re-plugged for it to start up again. WHen I first re-insert the cord an initial "click" is heard (same sound as when turning tv on) then USUALLY a second "click" (not as loud) is heard. I have noticed if the second click doesn't occur, the tv WILL NOT turn on at all. The yellow/ green light will flash a few seconds, and then stay lit..... and I can turn the tv on from there. <br> <br>At first this was a one time per day occurence ... Now it happens a lot more frequently and I fear the end may be near. The back of the tv is free of obstruction, no dust or anything. I have read this may be a power board issue? <br> <br>I am actually surprised the tv has lasted this long... but now that its not working I am hoping to keep it without breaking the bank. <br> <br>I am fairly tech savvy, but most of my knowledge is in the car audio arena. I'm willing to give a DIY project a shot here if I can... <br>Any and all help is welcome. Thanks! <br>

(This post was edited by gnut22 on Oct 3, 2010, 6:07 PM)

darstr
User

Sep 17, 2010, 9:22 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gnut22] Need help! Plasma won't stay on! [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy Most likely it is in your power supply board. Check for swollen capacitors and replace them if needed.

gnut22
New User

Oct 3, 2010, 4:05 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1802 views)
Shortcut
Re: [darstr] Need help! Plasma won't stay on! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, so I opened up the tv and on the psu, I noticed about 8 bad caps. I took it to a local shop and the repairman agreed the bad caps were the reason for my problem. I ordered the caps and had him replace them at what I thought was a reasonable 45 bucks. Come back home and re-install the board.

NOW, when I plug in the power cord... I get a first CLICK .. but NO second as I usually would. WHen I power on the unit it CLICKS on and the power light goes green... However there is absolutely NO picture or sound. The tv stays on... but now I have a NO PICTURE problem. ANy ideas????

darstr
User

Oct 4, 2010, 12:32 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gnut22] Need help! Plasma won't stay on! [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy You have more issues with your power supply than just swollen caps. If you are handy with a multimeter i would start checking voltages coming from the power supply. Sounds like it is not turning on your panel. You might also check the big boards on the side to see if they have swollen caps or burnt components. Good luck to you

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)