Need help.. external tuner for 42" plasma

oneoone
New User

Aug 14, 2005, 2:57 AM

Post #1 of 18 (3966 views)
Shortcut
Need help.. external tuner for 42" plasma Can't Post

Hello all,

I just ordered a 42" Hitachi plasma TV and it says it doesnt include a external TV tuner which it will need to display tv. My question is I have directv dvr.. what the cheapest yet useable external tv tuner I can get? Could someone please provide me links? Thanks so much!!

Robroy
User

Aug 24, 2005, 1:57 PM

Post #2 of 18 (3925 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oneoone] Need help.. external tuner for 42" plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

Your DirecTV DVR should have a built in digital tuner so you shouldn't need one. Is it an HD DVR? If not you need one. So to get the most out of your new HDTV you will need a new dish (oval), new HD DVR and be signed up for the HD package through DirecTV. If you try hard enough you can get the DVR for $299, (call customer retention) free intallation on both the dish and DVR and the HD package only costs $10 a month. Unless of course you ordred an EDTV, not and HDTV, in that case you just wasted your money.Wink

(This post was edited by Robroy on Aug 24, 2005, 1:58 PM)

denonjapan
Veteran

Aug 26, 2005, 4:54 AM

Post #3 of 18 (3910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Robroy] Need help.. external tuner for 42" plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

ROBROY QUOTE!" Unless of course you ordred an EDTV, not and HDTV, in that case you just wasted your money".> NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!First! Remember what is your main factor of using your display?. Is it for viewing or computer graphics of any kind?...if your application is for watching pure motion pictures then EDTV is a MUST! EDTV's still compatible of HDTV materials indeed you are making a wiser decision for not spending extra $$$$ not essential to your viewing needs. You can't tell the differrence from HDTV units from EDTV when watching regular programming. TRUST ME!........

Robroy
User

Aug 26, 2005, 9:39 PM

Post #4 of 18 (3901 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Need help.. external tuner for 42" plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

Denonjapan isn't the smartest tack on the bulletin board, HDTV is far superior to EDTV. You can't tell the difference while watching standard definition (SDTV)? Of course not, But we are not talking about standard definition. SDTV is yesterdays technology, in a couple years the majority of the programming will be HDTV plus most DVDs will be HD so why spend thousands of $ on a nice big-screen to have it be obsolete in 2 years?

denonjapan
Veteran

Aug 27, 2005, 2:04 AM

Post #5 of 18 (3899 views)
Shortcut

ROB QUOTE!!: "You can't tell the difference while watching standard definition (SDTV)? Of course not, But we are not talking about standard definition. SDTV is yesterdays technology".>>>>>.Jesus christ rob!. LOL!....Did you forget to mention> EDTV DISPLAY still HD CAPABLE? WHY THE NEED OF FULL HD PLASMA DISPLAY for extra Cost? You said it yourself and you agreed that you can't tell the difference!.Why aim an HD Plasma when your application is simply viewing standard SDTV and HD BROADCAST? Regardless or not if they will absolete SDTV BROADCAST .....................You also quote!> " "SDTV is yesterdays technology, in a couple years the majority of the programming will be HDTV plus most DVDs will be HD so why spend thousands of $ on a nice big-screen to have it be obsolete in 2 years? >>>>Wrong again! You probably have read it, I have read it! when was that! 14 year's ago?...they said same thing but Most CITIES/broadcasters are having financial difficulty right now! and it's not a PRIORITY let me tell you. As result: most HD STATIONS still not delivering fully WIDESCREEN HD FORMAT. They can't possibly achieve that! not in 2 years / Plasma display was introduced since 1992. 2 years after, till now when they said SDTV will be absolete, why most stations still broadcasting enhanced definition then? Cause you said SO?.......................................Also,the dvd Part, you said "most DVDs will be HD". How can you possible beleive you will be viewing a full HD FORMAT on any of DVD's you find at store now when MOST of their original recording came from ANALOG?......Is it bec. your dvd player has DVI / HDMI output to it? C'MONN ROB! TELL ME SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW!.......Wink

Robroy
User

Aug 27, 2005, 4:09 AM

Post #6 of 18 (3895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Need help.. external tuner for 42" plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you are way behind the times and very much uninformed. I watch HDTV broadcast every night free from my over the air antennae, FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS are all broadcasting HDTV right now with almost all their prime time line up with more coming every day, Leno and Conan are already HD and Letterman is coming HD soon. They all broadcast full 16X9 HDTV, either 1080 or 720 which, by the way, is considered HDTV, and is far superior to EDTV which is only 480. Plus if you are a football fan, almost all the NFL and College football games will be broadcast in Hi-Def this year. I just got done watching a Fox preseason game that was even broadcast in Hi-Def. That's not to even mention all the HDTV that I can get with my DirecTV HDTV package. By this time next year you will read this post and feel foolish for recommending an EDTV over an HDTV. It's a stupid argument, it's like buying a Corvett and telling the dealer you only want a 4 cylinder engine in it. No stations are broadcasting EDTV, none, it's either 720 or 1020 HDTV or else Standard digital/analog. OK, tommorows DVDs will be Hi-Def, the newer movies are already made (filmed) in HDTV and the older ones are upconverted, which while is not near as good as pure (filmed) HDTV, it will still be in 1020 or 720 and will still look very good, and much better on an HDTV than an EDTV. Are EDTVs HDTV capable like denonjapan contends, sure they are, but they downconvert the signal from 1080 to 480, again using the corvett analogy, it's like buying a Corvett with a V8 and removing 4 spark plugs and then bragging that you have a V8. Do some research, Japan doesn't even sale EDTV sets. They send them all over here to the stupid US customers. Oh by the way, DVDs have always been digital not analog anyway.

denonjapan
Veteran

Aug 27, 2005, 5:10 AM

Post #7 of 18 (3896 views)
Shortcut

ROB PAY ATTENTION! if your applications is just watching MOTION pictures, You didn't need a HDTV display. EDTV is just as good! In fact You quote: "By this time next year you will read this post and feel foolish for recommending an EDTV over an HDTV".>>>YOU STILL WRONG ROB! How can you teach a TEACHER? Foresay!!!!!!!!!!Japan prefers EDTV over HDTV. The analogy of that is: EDTV is somewhere in between. know what Im saying? it can do better with low resoluted materials as well as high resoluted ones that's why they call it (HD CAPABLE) in all areas!.....You are by far comparing it thru specifications: of course! you are DEFINITELY right. What Im saying is: you are downgrading who choose EDTV plasma just because you got full HDTV MONITOR / BUT!! Your preferrence decided something, the most of that DISPLAY possesed left unused, most of it's ABILITY: which is COMPUTER GRAPHICS! And you're using it for Viewing BALLGAMES.............DO YOU KNOW NOW WHY YOU CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERRENCE watching it from EDTV versus HDTV MONITOR side by side? >>>>>we didn't get there yet! that's the fact! if down-converted signals undetectable either both displays what does that tells YA!.........C'monn ROB! Tell me again Tongue

########## DVD of course IS DIGITAL, but content is re-format from analog material is not HDTV quality!

Robroy
User

Aug 27, 2005, 12:12 PM

Post #8 of 18 (3888 views)
Shortcut

I am not trying to be offensive, but dude, you really need to take some english classes, I really couldn't understand what you said. The bottom line though is that you can clearly see the difference between HDTV and EDTV while watching an HDTV broadcast and there is plenty of quality HDTV material on the airways right now with more coming almost daily. An EDTV set is not considered HD capable because it incapable of displaying an HD image, again it down resolutes it to 480 which is clearly inferior to an HD signal. I never said a DVD today was HDTV quality, I was simply correcting your statement that all movies had to be converted from analog to digital, which DVDs have had to do for decades, but the movies made within the last 5 years or so are not only made in a digital domain but most are even mastered in High definition, which will enable seamless conversion to the HD DVD format.

denonjapan
Veteran

Aug 27, 2005, 2:05 PM

Post #9 of 18 (3882 views)
Shortcut

QUOTE! "I am not trying to be offensive, but dude, you really need to take some english classes, I really couldn't understand what you said." > ROB! JAPANESE prefers our own LANGUAGE no:1 / we don't do bullshit talks like you said: quote: "there is plenty of quality HDTV material on the airways right now with more coming almost daily" > I shouldn't be saying this to you but HOW?, don't be naive, you mean,DAILY?????????WE DECIDE! when you are fully sure of all your assumptions / it's almost like a MYTH when you says something just bec. you claim your ENGLISH is perfect/ LOOK ROB! We decide! and we deliver, till then, don't over speculate something still in the process and for the most part your country isn't willing to afford a better TECHNOLOGY for consumer anyway! so How can you be sure YOU GOT A GOOD ONE?. By keep talking isn't doing you any better! and worst part is, you're MISGUIDED of everything you read or hear and not actually done it by COMPARISON. We did that ROB! in ACTIONNNNNNNNNNNN....One single truth above all these ROB is: the PLASMA DISPLAY you bought is like 10 Years behind Compare to what's in the Market here in JP. You are FOOL to tell me something, when youre mind searching, and wondering, when I tell you NOT SO!.....this lines you said " An EDTV set is not considered HD capable because it incapable of displaying an HD image".> is what you make more inferior to me!..........Technology CHANGED daily that's one sure thing! No one will ever see the best cause it's ENDLESS, it never stops.....lastly you said, quote:"I was simply correcting your statement that all movies had to be converted from analog to digital, which DVDs have had to do for decades, but the movies made within the last 5 years or so are not only made in a digital domain but most are even mastered in High definition, which will enable seamless conversion to the HD DVD format".>>> when the word use RE-MASTERED + RE-FORMAT equals = SEAMLESS CONVERSION. AGAIN ROB! What's thats says to you? that's exactly what I was telling you!........YOU CAN HAVE THE BEST DISPLAY YOU THOUGHT YOU HAVE, IF THE MATERIALS YOU'RE WATCHING THE MAJORITY CAME FROM RE-MASTERIZED, RE-FORMATIZED. HOW CAN YOU CONVINCE YOURSELF YOU GOT THE GOOD THING? ON YEAH! IT'S HDTV PLASMA?.........NOTHING YOU CAN SAY NOW!

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Aug 29, 2005, 1:23 AM)

Robroy
User

Aug 27, 2005, 10:07 PM

Post #10 of 18 (3873 views)
Shortcut

Sorry man, I have no idea what you said or tried to say. Let's not take over this guys thread. I will start a new thread and we will let other people chime in. You can keep your EDTV and I will keep my HDTV and we will both be happy.

oneoone if you have an HDTV DVR you won't need an additional external one because the digital tuner will be built in.

(This post was edited by Robroy on Aug 27, 2005, 10:09 PM)

denonjapan
Veteran

Aug 28, 2005, 6:05 AM

Post #11 of 18 (3864 views)
Shortcut

AMEN!

Robroy
User

Aug 28, 2005, 11:48 AM

Post #12 of 18 (3862 views)
Shortcut

So go here: http://www.tv-forums.com/...EDTV_or_HDTV_P16947/

and explain again why you think EDTV is better than HDTV. Yes we know each has it's intended purpose, but wouldn't it be smarter to pay a little extra and be able to properly view all the HDTV content now and in the future. Yes I know you can still SEE HDTV on an EDTV, but the facts remain even upconverted HDTV looks much better on an HDTV than a EDTV. I have seen both side by side while watching many different broadcasts/formats and HDTV is a clearly superior picture.

denonjapan
Veteran

Aug 29, 2005, 1:38 AM

Post #13 of 18 (3852 views)
Shortcut

I don't see why not HERE!

1.) ROB QUOTE:"and explain again why you think EDTV is better than HDTV" >>>I thinked you got reading problem. I never said that!

2.)ROB QUOTE:" Yes we know each has it's intended purpose, but wouldn't it be smarter to pay a little extra and be able to properly view all the HDTV content now and in the future" >>>> Why pay extra if it didn't call your applications? I thought you were in AMERICA where Practical living is a must! by the time future comes, you will then realize what ABOSOLETE means!

3)ROB QUOTE:"Yes I know you can still SEE HDTV on an EDTV, but the facts remain even upconverted HDTV looks much better on an HDTV than a EDTV". >>>> Clearly, back to quote no:1 you are the one labeling the comparisons. This tells me and I know I still have 20/20 visions. LAZIX surgery?. Are you equipped with DIGITAL EYES?

4) ROB QUOTE:" I have seen both side by side while watching many different broadcasts/formats and HDTV is a clearly superior picture">>>> And you know it!!!!! that's a lie! Ain't no store display where you are able to view differrent broadcast/ formats. just one link steady connected each other side by side!.Lucky you if you find their individual remote hands-on! and of course! HDTV PROGRAMS displayed in STORES has SUPERIOR PICTURE QUALITY CAUSE by then, looking at them together, you will then prove you can't tell which one is EDTV/ HDTV or not! DOES IT MATTER?.

TO CUT YOUR CONFUSION SHORT! ALL PLASMA TV'S are HD CAPABLE! EVEN FROM THE BEGINNING!

Robroy
User

Aug 29, 2005, 2:06 AM

Post #14 of 18 (3848 views)
Shortcut

You are very wrong Mr. Japan, All Plasma TVs are not HD capable, how many times do I have to tell you, an EDTV (Enhanced Definition Television) can only display 480P lines of resolutions, that is in itself the definition of ED (Enhanced Definition). For a monitor (TV) to legally be labeled as an HDTV (High Definition Television) it must be able to have at least a 720P native display. Most plasma TVs sold in America have a 768P native resolution.

Again, there is a decent amount of HD content on the air right now, with more to follow, so why not spend a little extra money to ensure that you will be able to see HD content in all it's beauty now and into the future? The future is here, HDTV is not going away. You sound like the guy in the 1980s that didn't want to give up his VHS tapes for DVDs.

It doesn't take digital eyes to see that HD content looks better on an HD monitor that it does on an ED monitor. Any blind man can see that.

You don't need two different feeds brainiac, one feed, two monitors, just look for yourself and see which looks better. Just go to a store (best Buy or Curcuit City) that has both an EDTV monitor and an HDTV monitor and look at both side by side with the same good Hi-def feed.

I don't even know why we are debating this, it's like telling your kid the fire is hot and he sticks his hand in the fire and burns it, but still tries to tell you the fire isn't hot. Let me clear up a few other misconceptions you might have: The world is not flat, it is round...... Japan didn't win the war, they lost..... the moon is not made of cheese...... cows cannot fly....do I need to go on? Crazy

(This post was edited by Robroy on Aug 29, 2005, 2:12 AM)

denonjapan
Veteran

Aug 29, 2005, 5:04 AM

Post #15 of 18 (3837 views)
Shortcut

You can't tell me more about SUSHI, and expect me tell you about GRILLED CHEESE!

Perhaps! if only! you understand my translation , we can better the competition!

Respectfully your's

denonjp!

MADE IN JAPAN

Robroy
User

Aug 29, 2005, 11:57 AM

Post #16 of 18 (3830 views)
Shortcut

Fair enough, but just because most flat panel TVs are made in Japan doesn't mean that everyone in Japan knows more about them than every American. I will give credit where it is due, the Japanese are wonderful engineers and make the best electronic products in the world. But I am sure there are some Japanese that know more about grilled cheese than I doWink

You are right, this discussion might be getting lost in the translation. What you are calling EDTV in Japan might be what we are calling HDTV in America. I read an article that says Japan doesn't even sale EDTVs. So what you are calling EDTV might in fact be something that can display a 720P image, where in the states we consider anything above 720 as HDTV. Maybe in Japan you guys only call it HDTV if it is true 1080I? If that is the case then I would agree with you, because I can't really tell the difference between a 768P TV and a 1080I TV. I am just speculating but I have a hunch that I am correct.

Our EDTVs in America only display a 480P image, heck regular TV is 480I so it isn't to much better unless you are watching a DVD with a progressive scan DVD player. But I predict by this time next year HD-DVDs and Blue Rays will be flying off the shelfs. A good HDTV would be nice to have once those HD-DVDs come out.

EDTVs here in the states aren't selling as well as they used to, in fact in a store that I recently went to they had about 360 big screen TVs, ranging from LCD, LCD projection, Plasma, LcOs, DLP and only 4 were even EDTV the rest were HDTVs. These days Americans want HDTVs and they are selling like hot cakes (very good).

denonjapan
Veteran

Aug 30, 2005, 4:31 AM

Post #17 of 18 (3823 views)
Shortcut

In response to your:

1st pharagraph:" This is no speaking of ARROGANCE but deep inside you knew it! and ROB! They're not wonderful engineers, they're ELITE Electronic engineers. PERFECTION to us doesn't mean "Clarity of pictures" outcome of the display> it's more to LONGEVITY of a product we create. Japanese standard's unmatched the entire world. Japanese engineers accept no mistakes, no substitute of any kind, choosing even tiniest IC chips is a must created have possible before assembly. if not! ( SONY, MITSUBISHI, YAMAHA, DENON, VICTOR, PIONEER CORPORATIONS may have something to trade parts or in exchanged. All corporations in JAPAN's trading ability are so Unite and in the end, the result of Finished product's competition are TOUGH. There's no easy way to get a hands-on, You may call it OUTRAGEOU$. Proto-types are built second to none!. that's Perfection!.

2nd and 3rd Pharagraph:"Your instinct is almost right! But Im not going to mumble you with nos this time. Reason being is: there's a lot of individual here are having complexities. Far too often, a VICTIMS of creative marketing and advertising practices refer to really what EDTV's / HDTV's. In lot ways that can be misleading. A while ago! I saw DENHIGH raised a question and ROB you responded. I was like SlySlySly. Exactly his incident reflects this discussions with you. So, while Digital TV is an established reality, the future of High Definition Television - HDTV - remains uncertain; there are NO Guarantees. that's all I can say for the moment.

4rth Pharagraph:" Panasonic has topped the sales every year. still hasn't coped-up with pre-orders.

denonjp

MADE IN JAPAN

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Aug 30, 2005, 4:33 AM)

Robroy
User

Aug 31, 2005, 12:13 AM

Post #18 of 18 (3813 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
So, while Digital TV is an established reality, the future of High Definition Television - HDTV - remains uncertain; there are NO Guarantees. that's all I can say for the moment.
denonjp
MADE IN JAPAN

Now it makes sense, I thought you were confused, they don't even sale EDTVs in Japan, that is, what we consider here in the US as EDTV (480p). Probably by this time next year they won't sell them here either. Yes Digital TV is established and so is HDTV. I can't speak for Japan, maybe we are ahead of you guys in that regard, but here in the US it is already here. I watch full 1080i HDTV every single night.

(This post was edited by Robroy on Aug 31, 2005, 12:14 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)