Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Newbie !!!!

tazman19
New User

Dec 7, 2004, 3:54 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1939 views)
Shortcut
Newbie !!!! Can't Post

I am going to be, come Monday, the new owner of the 37' Panasonic ED plasma. I have Comcast coming over to hook me up with the HD box and component cables. I have an S-video connection for my sony dvd player. I have a 600 watt Kenwood 5.1 home theater for sound.

Any suggestions for a newbie ? Like maybe anyone who has the TV, viewing tips, how to avoid burn-in, etc ....

1 specific question regarding the TV and my sony dvp-s560 DVD player. From what I am finding, my DVD player does not have progressive scan. Will this make a big deal when viewing DVDs on my plasma ? Again, I will have component hookups to the HD cable box and S-Video for my DVD.

Thanks for the help !

(This post was edited by tazman19 on Dec 7, 2004, 5:19 AM)

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 7, 2004, 3:11 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1919 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tazman19] Newbie !!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Use the VGA input with converting cable (COMPONENT to VGA) output for from your HD BOX. Check this out! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64631&item=5736882845&rd=1

COMPONENT output from your DVD player to your Plasma COMPONENT input. Leave the S-VIDEO for your VCR when you have.

It is a big deal of using non-progressive DVD player to progressive plasma monitor. If you choose S-VIDEO INPUT it dont make any differrence. It's like having a STEREO TV connected with monoural VCR. You got sound on both speakers but the sound still MONOURAL know what I'm saying?.

(This post was edited by denonjapan on Dec 8, 2004, 5:07 AM)

tazman19
New User

Dec 8, 2004, 4:26 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Newbie !!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You mentioned that using S-Video from my DVD to my plasma TV would be OK, that there is no difference. That is what I plan on doing. I will use composite cables for connection between my HD box and the TV, as they are provided by my cable company at no charge.

Thanks

Any other tips for a newbie ?

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 9, 2004, 1:14 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1873 views)
Shortcut

Now you misunderstood me! I meant: if you choose to connect your S-VIDEO output from your SONY dvd player knowing it's not progressive scan, then there ain't no use to your worry as to whether or not the Picture will be display to your plasma will be as successfull as having both features (PROGRESSIVE PLASMA TV and PROGRESSIVE DVD PLAYER)

tazman19
New User

Dec 9, 2004, 3:27 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [denonjapan] Newbie !!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

So basically the best answer would be to use component cables for both the HD box to the TV and the DVD to the TV, right ?

What's wierd, is that I picked up a DVD player over the summer for $50 by Phillips and it has progressive scan, yet my more expensive Sony DVD player, which I purchased about 4 years ago for $299 does not have it !! By the way, my sony DVD is the DVP-S560D.

Thanks for your help.

denonjapan
Veteran

Dec 9, 2004, 4:13 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1861 views)
Shortcut

Pay attention TAZMAN!

Im under the impression that you would have the PROFESSIONAL PLASMA TYPE.

The one you will be having will have front and back inputs which is personally not my preference. Do some experimentation for what you have right now not necessarily run back to the store and achieve everything all at once.

I understand you're feeling uneasy since the DELIVERY is fast approaching! take care!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)