Pioneer Plasma Only Works When Warm...

50Trippin
New User

Jul 24, 2009, 6:28 AM

Post #1 of 11 (6666 views)
Shortcut
Pioneer Plasma Only Works When Warm... Can't Post

Hi everyone,

I have a Pioneer PDP-5030HD system (PDP-503PU & PDP-R03U) It has worked fine for years. Purchased in 2002. Has about 1050 hours total. Moved tv to new location and about a week later would only stay on for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes then will go shutdown back to standby.

I figured out, i think, that if I start the tv up in service mode and leave it there for about 5 - 10 minutes to warm up (30C+) it will work fine

So here's what I have done three times. I turn the set on in service mode. Wait until the sensor temp reaches about 30C and then turn it off and right back on regularly. All three times it will stay on in standard mode and the last time I ran it for 3+ hours with no problems. Let it cool down all the way, 5 hours, and turned it back on and it has the same problem, shuts off after 1 minute.

A service shop quoted me for the power supply but wouldn't the tv not work at all or not stay on at all? I assume if the power supply was bad it wouldn't turn on in service mode with no problems. Am I wrong? I can't see if it will stay on in service mode for too long because I don't want the top service line to burn.

Sensor temp gets up to and no higher than 61C. Too high? I read 75C or 77C is the danger point.

Can anyone help me try and diagnose this over the net? I have searched for two nights now and can't find any similar problem through Google searches.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 24, 2009, 7:16 PM

Post #2 of 11 (6661 views)
Shortcut
Re: [50Trippin] Pioneer Plasma Only Works When Warm... [In reply to] Can't Post

See if can accomplish the same thing (set plays for long time after warming it up in service mode) but pre heating certain areas of the insides with a hair dryer.

-------------------------

50Trippin
New User

Jul 25, 2009, 1:31 AM

Post #3 of 11 (6656 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Pioneer Plasma Only Works When Warm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will try that. It is definitely something "heat" related. I tested again but this time with skipping the service mode and just turning the tv on time after time until it was up to temp, 7 times total then once it stayed on I checked the sensor temp and it was at 23C the unit then stayed on for over an hour.

I will pull the back cover and heat up part by part and see which one is the ticket.

The front red LED flashes fast 1, 2, 3, then the 4th stays lit when it shuts down. Is that considered 3 flashes or 4.... either way that points to the x-drive correct? Pioneer service hotline has been useless so far with this problem.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 25, 2009, 5:24 AM

Post #4 of 11 (6654 views)
Shortcut

I don't have service literature on this set. Plasma's probably my weakest area, but I still know a few things.
Just general troubleshooting procedure. Freeze spray MAY also help to pinpoint.

What heats up the sensor? Is the sensor on a heat sink and a part mounted near it heats up or what?

50Trippin
New User

Jul 25, 2009, 7:01 PM

Post #5 of 11 (6650 views)
Shortcut

Not sure about the sensor. Only manual I could get my hands on was the field service guide which has very limited troubleshooting information. I will pull the back off tomorrow and try the hairdryer thing.

50Trippin
New User

Aug 10, 2009, 9:54 PM

Post #6 of 11 (6595 views)
Shortcut

Okay. So I finally got around to taking this thing apart and narrowed it down to the PC I/F Board needs to be "preheated" with a hairdryer in order for it to turn on and stay on.

Could this still be a faulty power supply in the display or is it the media receiver?

If I hit the PC I/F Board with the hairdryer on high for about 20 seconds and then turn the display on it works fine. Let it all cool down and turn the display on without warming it up and it shuts off again after about 50 seconds.

I have the service manual for both the display and the media receiver but neither help me in troubleshooting the problem.

Any ideas?

addi
New User

Aug 10, 2009, 10:01 PM

Post #7 of 11 (6594 views)
Shortcut

See if can accomplish the same thing (set plays for long time after warming it up in service mode) but pre heating certain areas of the insides with a hair dryer.

For more http://www.telekomx.mobi/lp2/iwaay

50Trippin
New User

Aug 10, 2009, 10:06 PM

Post #8 of 11 (6593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [addi] Pioneer Plasma Only Works When Warm... [In reply to] Can't Post

that's what I did. Sorry I should have clarified. I heated up each circuit board one at a time until I found which one made it stay on. I started with the X Drive assembly in the display since I was getting 4 red flashes. then moved on to the power supply in the display. Nothing was working, display would still turn off after a minute.

I the disassembled the media receiver to the point I could heat individual boards with it hooked up. I started on the power supply and ended with the PC I/F board being the one that did the trick. Let everything cool two different times then re-tested.

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 11, 2009, 1:50 AM

Post #9 of 11 (6589 views)
Shortcut

Lytics have a tendency to fail. If that board has only a few - swap 'em and see. If has lots - can you connect connectors with ribbon cable(s) so you can heat areas of board &/or each part on it?

50Trippin
New User

Aug 11, 2009, 4:56 AM

Post #10 of 11 (6586 views)
Shortcut

I'm not sure what a "lytic" is....

No I can't heat a specific area of a board but the way they are laid out on the display and media receiver I can heat each board individually.

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 11, 2009, 12:57 PM

Post #11 of 11 (6582 views)
Shortcut

Lytics: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/...mages/s4/31-6720.jpg & http://www.mcmelectronics.com/...mages/s4/4127178.jpg

If you had a fully charged car battery and a pair of jumper cables you could jump start a car. I'm suggesting something similar, but on a larger scale (conductor-wise). Let's say that the board in question either plugs in or is soldered in. You could unplug/unsolder the board, attach one end of a wire to each "pin" and other end of wire to the corresponding hole or socket pin. Do this over and over until all pins done and you can still operate the unit while board is exposed for testing. How well this works depends on your skills (which is why I suggested "ribbon" cable).

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)