Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Plasma vs. LCD, can't decide which to buy

famousredhead
New User

Aug 8, 2010, 10:49 PM

Post #1 of 5 (1314 views)
Shortcut
Plasma vs. LCD, can't decide which to buy Can't Post

Hi> I am thinking of buying a flat screen and a plasma because everything I have read says plasma has a better picture. However someone told me a plasma heats up & can get really hot. Some have fans (can that be noisy)?

So I am looking for advice on pros and cons of plasma vs. LCD. Which would you buy and why?

Thanks

KevDawg
New User

Aug 9, 2010, 1:50 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [famousredhead] Plasma vs. LCD, can't decide which to buy [In reply to] Can't Post

We bought an LCD and in a day, took it back to get a plasma. Bestbuy luckily is good about returns. I vote for plasma. No problem with heat these days.

mackie76
New User

Aug 16, 2010, 11:25 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [famousredhead] Plasma vs. LCD, can't decide which to buy [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Theres lots of info about the relative merits of lcd vs plasma if you google it.

However- some questions...
1. Whats your budget?
2. What screen size do you want/need?

Plasma have a better reputation for the deep blacks you get (high contrast ratio) which means better picture quality and also good viewing angles, but are often more power hungry than lcds (if its a decent make i.e. Panasonic it shouldn't get hot and will be able to dissipate any extra heat). Plasmas are better at 42" and larger.

Narrow your selection, get a demo of one instore and then buy online to get the best price!Smile

Hope this helps!
---

Owner of Panasonic Tx-p42g20 TV Site.

tan123
New User

Aug 23, 2010, 5:32 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Plasma screens tend to come in a bigger range of sizes than LCDs, ant the black and gray colors tend to be richer than in an LCD tv.

However LCDs are generally lighter, less fragile and often easier to set up. Also older model plasmas, and some of the low-end models currently out there, have had issues with permanent screen damage when an image is left on the screen too long. However this has mostly been corrected in the newest models available.
Best LCD Reviews
sony dash review

Repair man
Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2010, 2:52 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1229 views)
Shortcut

From a repair point-of-view as a technician LCD is the way to go, they are easier and less expensive to repair if needed.

Plasma TVs are on their way out. Even Sony will not make them anymore due to too many repair issues (want proof try doing a search for a Sony plasma & I'll bet you won't find a new one) that should tell you something, one of the largest electronics companies in the world and they've dropped their Plasma line.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)