Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Question about plasma display

adamo0926
New User

May 18, 2006, 4:15 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1872 views)
Shortcut
Question about plasma display Can't Post

While watching the NBA playoffs tonight on TNT-HD, I noticed that some of the white lines on the basketball court seemed to "flicker" or "shimmer" at times when the camera panned to follow the action. And it was only on the lines that were horizontal on the screen not vertical, or at least mostly on those white lines. I just noticed it on tonight's games...I did not notice it on other games that I have watched before.

I have had this 42" plasma for about a month now and I have a hard time believing that this is due to the plasma display.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before ? Could it be a function of the source broadcast ? Could it be because of the signal from my cable company ?

Any input would be appreciated !

techchris
Veteran

May 18, 2006, 12:20 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1868 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamo0926] Question about plasma display [In reply to] Can't Post

plasma and lcd are not good at following fast moving objects due to the slow response time of the pixels (the time taken to switch a pixel on or off). this is normal for these tv'sand the effect varies, depending on what you are watching,between irritating and infuriating! bet the salesman didn't tell you that when you handed over the cash.some of the big brands like panasonic are getting better but these tv's will not give you as good a picture as a glass crt tv in that respect.

adamo0926
New User

May 18, 2006, 12:58 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Question about plasma display [In reply to] Can't Post

Ummm it's not the moving objects that are "flickering" or "shimmering".....it happens to the stationary white lines on the basketball court and only when the camera pans to follow the action. I did not see this effect when watching a baseball game on NESN-HD....I only noticed it when I was watching the NBA games last night on TNT-HD....and last night was the first time I noticed it. The moving objects are displayed in stunning clarity on this plasma.

techchris
Veteran

May 18, 2006, 1:31 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamo0926] Question about plasma display [In reply to] Can't Post

satellite systems in Europe and probably USA use multiplex broadcasting which basically compresses signals to get more channels in the available bandwidth.this enables the tv companies to use more or less "airspace" depending on what is being transmitted. if you are watching a program which has been severely compressed then you can get some wierd effects on picture. it maybe the game you were watching was one of these which would account for you not noticing it before. if it has not happened since I would not worry too much about it.

adamo0926
New User

May 18, 2006, 2:14 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Question about plasma display [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Chris...thanks for the info. I will see if I see this effect on basketball games carried by ESPN-HD and ABC-HD. I have watched other games on TNT-HD and I don't remember seeing that happening but I will see what happens when the next game is on....tonight I believe. I thought I might go back to the store where I bought this thing and have them switch to TNT-HD when I notice the effect and see if it's happening on all the sets they have running (the store is practically right across the street from me). I figure if it's happening there then it's gotta be something with the broadcast source and not the plasma display. I do have to say that when I switched channels and looked at the game on TNT's non-HD channel on my cable, I did not see the effect. Or if it was there I could not see it (perhaps because the SD picture is not nearly as clear ?).
Anyway...thanks again....and if you have any for info please let me know...you are obviously far more tech savvy about this than I am.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)