Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Samsung PN51E450A1FXZA No standby, good PS

mitchell0715
New User

Sep 15, 2015, 11:48 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3321 views)
Shortcut
Samsung PN51E450A1FXZA No standby, good PS Can't Post

I'm pretty new to the world of circuit troubleshooting, but I've got enough knowledge to get me through the basics with a little help.

TV was struck by lightning, took it to a local repair place and got a free estimate - $280 and a bad power supply. Bought a new power supply from SJ and put it in tonight, still no standby. Tested the voltage at the fuse and got 124ACV referencing the ground on the bottom left of the board.

Then checked what I believed to be the power pin for the main board(with the RCAs, hdmi, etc?) and got ~44v referencing the PS board ground. Checked the board on the far right of the TV on what I thought was the power pin and got about 4-5v ACV (not sure which pins are AC and which are DC to be honest).

Checked the voltage out of the main board (again, i think its the main board), and got nothing when referencing the screw ground on that board or the PS ground.

There's a visible dark mark on the largest board on the left side, has large heatsinks and multiple caps but they don't look swollen.

Logic board doesn't light up at all, nor the standby.

Does this sound like I should try to replace the main board next?

Just saw there's other people who have had this same exact problem and it was fixed by replacing the main board, so I'm going to take a chance and order the board from SJ in hopes that it fixes it. Probably end up returning the other PS if it tests out working.

here's the part. Samsung BN94-06039B
looks to be out of stock on SJ, is there another reliable source that provides free returns in case it doesn't fix it?

I do have an oscilloscope to use if necessary, although its bandwidth is a bit limited and won't read accurately above 50khz or so.

(This post was edited by mitchell0715 on Sep 16, 2015, 12:35 AM)

mitchell0715
New User

Sep 17, 2015, 5:21 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mitchell0715] Samsung PN51E450A1FXZA No standby, good PS [In reply to] Can't Post

awaiting patiently for some insight or confirmation that im on the right track.

jts1957
Veteran

Sep 17, 2015, 5:35 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mitchell0715] Samsung PN51E450A1FXZA No standby, good PS [In reply to] Can't Post

Board I.D.
http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung/pn51e450a1fxza

-------------------------

mitchell0715
New User

Sep 18, 2015, 10:24 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Samsung PN51E450A1FXZA No standby, good PS [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy to say the TV is FIXED!!!

All this frustration has finally paid off.

It's not even hard to do, $280 is nowhere near the cost for the labor it'd take them to fix the TV - pathetic. 1-2 hours MAX, even less with a skilled tech!

I'd like to offer some advice to those who attempt to fix these TV's in the future that have NO STANDBY OR LOGIC BOARD ILLUMINATION

CHECK THE POWER SUPPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not hard, make sure you're getting voltage out on the hot wire. Obviously we're talking about high ACV so it's dangerous, just take your time.

If the PS is good check the voltage out of the main board on the single grey wire that goes out to the switch referencing the board ground for negative. I found no voltage here so I assume the board was bad, bought a new one and put it in and voila - working TV!

(This post was edited by mitchell0715 on Sep 18, 2015, 10:53 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)