Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Sony PFM-42B1 Popped!?

X.
New User

Aug 26, 2005, 8:29 AM

Post #1 of 3 (4641 views)
Shortcut
Sony PFM-42B1 Popped!? Can't Post

So, I've owned my 42B1 for almost three and a half years now, and have never encountered a single problem. I use it as my main, home TV. Anyway, a few nights ago, I turned my TV on, changed the channel (on the cable receiver) within a minute of turning it on, then left it on CourTV. Well, after about 10 - 12 minutes, I suddenly hear a loud POP! Like a firecracker. My screen went blank, and I heard another POP shortly thereafter. At this point, both the Red (StandBy Lamp) and Green (On Lamp) were illuminated. Needless to say, I immediately unplugged everything. While doing this, I noticed that I had neglected to plug the TV in through a surge protector. Not sure if this had anything to do with it (power surge, or something), but I thought I'd be as thorough as possible. About 5 minutes later (after I'd regained my composure), I plugged the unit back on (through a relatively new Belkin surge protector this time) and the (Red) StandBy Lamp turns on as normal. So I grab the remote and go across the room. When I pressed the On button, I immediately heard a series of small POPS and the screen had snowy lines going across it, so I instantly turned it off again. This time I think I noticed it coming from the area of the power plug.

The next day (with my girlfriend by my side), I attempted to turn it on once again. I did, and no more popping this time, but the picture still showed the snowy bars going across. There was a picture behind though. It just looked like I had really bad reception. Obviously not the case with a DVD on (Star Wars) (plus the popping, etc.) The bars go across horizontally. There are four of them, and they are spaced with about an inch between them. They're kinda colorful as well. Here are some shots I took of them with my Cell. Phone Video Camera:

The first shot is with no picture and obviously the second one is with a picture (signal).

Here are the links in case that didn't work:

http://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled9gi.jpg

http://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled26yr.jpg

So, I went to the Sony store here in NYC, and they gave me a number for my local Authorized Sony Service Center who said they will give me a free estimate. I'm on here trying to gain as many opinions before I go in blindly to this place. Does anyone have an idea as to what might've happened, and how much it might cost to fix? Is it even a possibility at this point? Should I give San Diego a shot? I just need help and any of it sent my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking, and best of luck to all you guys!

X.

jpt54
New User

Aug 31, 2005, 6:36 PM

Post #2 of 3 (4609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [X.] Sony PFM-42B1 Popped!? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Sony selftest diagnostic program at power up will warn you for any failure it detected.

Go to other thread "Sony PFM42B1". They mention about the pattern of Standing LED blinking.

Normally, when you hear a POP, and you smell something burned, it means a capacitor on a circuit board blowed up. Consequence, the filter circuit related to it can be failed.

(This post was edited by jpt54 on Aug 31, 2005, 6:37 PM)

X.
New User

Sep 2, 2005, 9:06 AM

Post #3 of 3 (4604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jpt54] Sony PFM-42B1 Popped!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply 'jp'! Unfortunately, When I power on the TV, I don't get any flashing Stanby LED. So I'm assuming that the TV is not detecting a problem. Maybe because the pictures comes on? So do the fans, and pretty much everything else operates as it did usually, except for the image. Also, when the pops happened, I smelled around the entire unit, with emphasis on where the popping sound came from (Power Plug connection on the unit), side and top vents, and I didn't smell anything. It smelled actually pretty new, I remembered thinking to myself.

Anyway, I've read all through the "Sony PFM42B1" thread, and it doesn't seem that I have their problem. The "H.I.C." problem, I think it's called. I've yet to take it into repair as I've no time, money, or transportation to do so at the moment, so regretfully, I have no update. Still hoping I can get some more answers on this board. Thanks to all who have looked.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)