Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
URGENT. Early Break-in. Screen Discrepancies. Panasonic ST30.

pyro.kitty
New User

Nov 27, 2011, 6:47 AM

Post #1 of 2 (2029 views)
Shortcut
URGENT. Early Break-in. Screen Discrepancies. Panasonic ST30. Can't Post

Prior to receiving my 42 inch panasonic st30 from Amazon.com. i read through the first page or so of this thread:

http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showthread.php?9134-2011-Panasonic-Settings-Issues-Thread

Upon being referred to that thread by another owner... I had initially decided i was going to use the procedure listed in the first post.. until i re-read it more carefully and noticed that it actually said, "This procedure is NOT designed nor recommended to be used as Break-in, Image Retention and/or Burn-in prevention." This confused me. (add to that the fact that the procedure directs one to turn Contrast up to 100% out of the box... >.>)

Next i conferred with a friend of mine.. a fellow plasma owner, and he just advised that i didn't really need to worry about doing something as elaborate as that... but just to keep the settings all at 50% or just generally subdued for the first 100-300 hours.. also.. he, too, felt that something fishy was going on if it was directing you to turn contrast up that high straight out of the box.

Next I started reading around other sites.. and other, typical, break-in procedures. And all basically reaffirmed what my friend had advised. So.. i took his advice.

about 3 days later... probably 9 hours logged.. watching numerous bits of different titles, such as, Sweeny Todd, Fight Club, Inception, Rushmore.. The Tree of Life.(all on blu-ray, of course) etc. I noticed a slight variation(gradation) of brightness toward the right side of the screen in the form of a vertical. I told myself it was just a byproduct of the way the panel was constructed... but just for posterity i threw in a flash drive with 1080p block color slides.. just to inspect. And i noticed a couple things... The aforementioned line.. and a slight blemish toward the center of the screen... almost like a chemical unbalance.. or a smudge of color/brightness.. almost like a smudgy fingerprints.. or a really subtle spray of water beneath the glass... After checking different sources(stagnant blu-ray disc frames), i concluded that it's something to deal with the panel and not the source.

i go back to the computer start searching again.. and i find a thread saying that even though he instructed that it was not designed or recommended for a break-in procedure, they still recommended it.. and that it's designed to age all of the phosphors evenly upon the first 100 hours... since evidently the phosphors, of all plasma televisions, fresh from the factory, burn very hot for the first 100 - 200 hours. and that during that time they "age" differently based on the colors that each phosphor displays. "...Normal tv programming has the most action in the middle of the screen, with the sides and bottom seeing less use. So the middle phosphors age more evenly than those on the rest of the screen. To age the phosphors evenly, and get a better picture, you should use a break in method that displays full screen color slides. This reduces the risk of burn in and makes colors display the same across the screen..."
...and then it hits me... that must be what has happened.. the blemish.. or color smudge must be uneven aging. I post on that thread and they tell me that i have indeed messed up. That i should've read the FAQ on post #1232 or something of that thread. I talk to my friend and he says he's very skeptical.. and that there's no way i caused this in the first 10 hours of viewing. He refers me here.. that everyone here was extremely helpful and kind to him when he needed assistance with his plasma...

So here are my main questions:
- Does D-Nice's "100 hour panel prep procedure" have any merit as a break-in procedure?
(from the highdefjunkies link i provided above)

- What could the smudge be? (i can try and provide pictures of both the smudge and the, aforementioned, vertical line, if need be)

- Is there anything that can be done? (I've been running the wipers as my friend suggested, but to no avail. (Im considering exchanging it, if the break-in/ panel prep procedure does indeed have merit.. and just following everything stated within that first and second post to the absolute T.))

- Any other advice is always ALWAYS appreciated. =)

Please and Thank you for your assistance =)

Ron.M
Veteran

Nov 27, 2011, 10:33 PM

Post #2 of 2 (2011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pyro.kitty] URGENT. Early Break-in. Screen Discrepancies. Panasonic ST30. [In reply to] Can't Post

pyro.kitty;.....

1st off , I do NOT work on LED , LCD or Plasma TVs...
But I can offer this advice...
I have NEVER heard of a "Break-in" period for ANY type of TV , microwave oven , cell phone or ANY other electrical or electronic device...PERIOD !!!
Plasma TVs have 3 different gasses that are used for color mixing & set at the time of manufacture....
My best advice is that you apparently have a defect in the TV & you need to contact the place of purchase (Amazon.com) regarding Factory trained Tech service OR an exchange of the TV...
This is not something you as a consumer should be dinking around with.....

GOOD LUCK....Sly....

Have a GREAT day & week...Sly....

Later....Ron.M.....Cool.....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)