Which Plasma

Novice
New User

Aug 30, 2005, 4:58 PM

Post #1 of 10 (3845 views)
Shortcut
Which Plasma Can't Post

Hi all - please help

I am going to buy a new plasma on a restricted budget of £1,750 what is the best product I can purchase within this range, (preferably 3 scart)? I know next to nothing about Plasmas so I also wanted to know the answer to the following:

1. Does extended use of a games console damage or shorten the lifetime of a Plasma?

2. What is the difference between 60hz and 100 hz? (please dont say 40hz, I need help does this make a significant difference?

3. I was told to ensure that the set is HDTV I thought this was standard, am I likely to be able to buy a set that has the specification I am looking for within my price range?

Thanks for any help you are able to offer

Best S

Robroy
User

Aug 31, 2005, 12:22 AM

Post #2 of 10 (3833 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Novice] Which Plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, you won't be able to buy a HDTV Plasma for $1750 right now. You will have to spend close to $2800 for a good one. If I were you I would keep saving for a couple months and wait until around Christmas 2005, by then there will probably be some nice sales and you could get one for around $2500. Whatever you do don't skimp and get an EDTV set, you will regret it in the very near future. Dell has a nice (cheap) HDTV Plasma as well as Panasonic, Hitachi and LG. I have the LG DU-42PX12X HDTV, I got it for around $2800 and I am very happy with it.

jpt54
New User

Aug 31, 2005, 4:33 PM

Post #3 of 10 (3813 views)
Shortcut

It was £1,750, not $1,750. I have no idea for a different market price.

1/ New technology has expanded the life of new plasma from 10,000 hrs to 30,000 hrs. The more you use, the sooner you have to buy a new one.

2/ Do you ask about "screen refresh rate"? The larger number, the faster rate. If you use 60Hz and you detect the flicker on your screen, you can select 100Hz to reduce it.

3/ Plasma has two versions. Not all plasma is HDTV. The low resolution plasma is EDTV. The higher resolution one is HDTV, and of course it's more expensive.

Robroy
User

Aug 31, 2005, 6:27 PM

Post #4 of 10 (3807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jpt54] Which Plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

Most new (quality) plasma's have a half life of 60,000 hours now. I would not settle for anything less than 60,000 hours.

jpt54
New User

Aug 31, 2005, 7:00 PM

Post #5 of 10 (3805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Robroy] Which Plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for your correction. It should be 60,000hrs for new plasma.

Robroy
User

Aug 31, 2005, 7:48 PM

Post #6 of 10 (3801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jpt54] Which Plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is the best value right now:

http://www.tvauthority.com/...onic-TH-42PHD7UY.asp

I bought the LG-DU42PX12X which was a good buy and a good TV for $2700, but the above model TH-42PHD7UY is a much better deal and I wish I would have bought that one.

Robroy
User

Sep 1, 2005, 2:36 AM

Post #7 of 10 (3790 views)
Shortcut

A plasma display is often rated with a half-life—the time until it's half as bright as it was when it was new. Half-life is typically about 60,000 hours. Your plasma will still be perfectly watchable after this time; it just won't be as bright. This is a gradual process, so gradual that you probably won't even notice it's happening. Say you average six hours of TV watching a day, every day. That means you won't reach 60,000 hours for about 27 years. Think of the TV you had 27 years ago. I'd bet money that, in five years, whatever you buy now will be half as expensive and twice as good. Never mind in 10 years. In other words, flat-panel display should last just fine.

morp
New User

Sep 11, 2005, 9:06 PM

Post #8 of 10 (3657 views)
Shortcut

I'd say go for either Sony or Panasonic. There both pretty good quaity makes of Plasma and LCD Tv's. There's a good chance you'll be able to fit them in your budget, it just depends where you buy them from. Cool
Sound and Vision Installations (Savi)

BruZZi
New User

Sep 12, 2005, 3:11 AM

Post #9 of 10 (3642 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I think this is the best value right now:

http://www.tvauthority.com/...onic-TH-42PHD7UY.asp

I bought the LG-DU42PX12X which was a good buy and a good TV for $2700, but the above model TH-42PHD7UY is a much better deal and I wish I would have bought that one.

Not anymore...

For just $200 more you can get the Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK. Smile

Robroy
User

Sep 15, 2005, 4:21 PM

Post #10 of 10 (3575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BruZZi] Which Plasma [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep such is the way with electronics, I expect by Christmas of this year we will see some stunning price drops.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)