Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Plasma TV Forum:
Zenith Z42PX2D Pixel Noise Problem, Plz Help.

theshark
New User

Mar 28, 2007, 1:39 AM

Post #1 of 16 (9383 views)
Shortcut
Zenith Z42PX2D Pixel Noise Problem, Plz Help. Can't Post

Love this site man, its exactly what I was looking for, so thanks for having me.

I made a small video with my digital camera so sorry for the poor quality, but basically its flashing red green blue pixels on the top half of the screen.
Anyone know why its doing this?
http://sharkfoo.com/files/DSCN0280.MOV

It doesn't do it all the time, it seems to only happen after the tv has been on for at least 2 hours, and unfortunately the tv just came out of warranty 2 months ago :( so I would prefer to fix it myself.

If I do a power off and on it seems to clear up the problem for a few mins and sometimes longer. Also the tv is hooked up to a belkin pure av surge/power filter and I've tried different outlets on the belkin with no change.

Im a service technician for large printers and copiers so Im pretty decent with handling tools and dealing with electronics, but this problem has me totally stumped.

any help would be much appreciated.
Thx.

(This post was edited by theshark on Mar 28, 2007, 1:40 AM)

techchris
Veteran

Mar 28, 2007, 8:54 AM

Post #2 of 16 (9375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theshark] Zenith Z42PX2D Pixel Noise Problem, Plz Help. [In reply to] Can't Post

the sparklies could be the sustain voltage is set wrong.look on the back of the plasma panel for a label that tells you the voltages for that screen and if wrong,adjust with the control presets on the power/control pcb.you may need the manual to determine which control is which.if that does not cure it,a new control pcb is required(if its available).If not its off to the nearest dumpster

theshark
New User

Mar 28, 2007, 12:45 PM

Post #3 of 16 (9372 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Zenith Z42PX2D Pixel Noise Problem, Plz Help. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok I checked the voltage

Sticker says Va - 65v and Vs - 187v

I let the tv run for 5 or 10 mins then checked with my meter, Va - 66.5v and Vs - 189.2v

Should I dial them down to what it should be exactly or should I leave the tv on for a few hours then dial em in, or should I wait till it starts sparkling then check and dial the voltages in?

Thanks for the help.

techchris
Veteran

Mar 28, 2007, 1:16 PM

Post #4 of 16 (9370 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theshark] Zenith Z42PX2D Pixel Noise Problem, Plz Help. [In reply to] Can't Post

let the tv warm up for about 20mins and then adjust till correct.

theshark
New User

Mar 29, 2007, 11:49 AM

Post #5 of 16 (9358 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Zenith Z42PX2D Pixel Noise Problem, Plz Help. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I went adjusted the voltages down to within .5v,
the problem still returned but it is almost unnoticable now.

One thing I did notice is that this nhl game does alot of white screen flashes after every play, and Im thinking that has something to do with it. Ive watched dvds, tv, and the problem never happens, only when I play nhl it happens, but it spans across all inputs so I know its not the xbox.

Anyway, I happened across LG/Zeniths service support site, with all the service manuals and firmware, so Im gonna check/upload to the current firmware and hope that helps.

MOtvGuy
User

Mar 31, 2007, 12:39 AM

Post #6 of 16 (9348 views)
Shortcut

Ahh, the famous Zenith red sparkles.

Adjusting the voltages won't fix this. Even on the ones you can adjust out it will only return a few months down the road. You'll have to change the Y sustain board. The thing is the Y sustain board no longer comes as a standalone board, it now comes as a kit with the logic board and X sustain board. All this to fix the Red and green sparkles.

BTW, the part number for the board is usually on the X sustain board itself. Something like
6871QYH036( ) inside the parentesis will either be an A, B or C. If you simply order the part number with the C suffix on the end LG/Zenith normally subs the part number over to the new Kit part number. Sorry, I don't have that part number with me right now.

(This post was edited by MOtvGuy on Mar 31, 2007, 12:43 AM)

theshark
New User

Apr 8, 2007, 10:15 PM

Post #7 of 16 (9330 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] Zenith Z42PX2D Pixel Noise Problem, Plz Help. [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the info motvguy, just curious though, did they update the boards with better components or is this just something that will happen again after the new boards go bad?

MOtvGuy
User

Apr 9, 2007, 1:30 AM

Post #8 of 16 (9327 views)
Shortcut

There have been some circuit modifications to the boards which is why you must replace all three that come in the kit at the same time.

theshark
New User

Apr 9, 2007, 5:08 PM

Post #9 of 16 (9322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MOtvGuy] Zenith Z42PX2D Pixel Noise Problem, Plz Help. [In reply to] Can't Post

ok I found the kit part number, 6871VSNB03E
It includes the ctrl, ysus, and zsus board for $220 and change.

By looking at the service bulletins there might have to be a rom update applied using a rom writing jig, hopefully thats not the case and I can upload the rom using the rs-232 port.

MOtvGuy
User

Apr 13, 2007, 2:04 AM

Post #10 of 16 (9308 views)
Shortcut

That's the correct part number.

You don't need to worry about any firmware upgrading on that model. We've been told by LG that there is nothing in any firmware upgrade that needs to be done to any of those units.

(This post was edited by MOtvGuy on Apr 13, 2007, 2:05 AM)

LBOCEAN
New User

Dec 10, 2007, 12:42 AM

Post #11 of 16 (9061 views)
Shortcut

Mo;
I've owned my Z42 since Dec 2005. 10 months after my ZSUS board went out, and just recently we experienced the same 'Blackout" again.
I contacted Zenith (LG) and complained that (in comparison to TV's I've purchased 10 years ago for less), that I paid practically $2k for the Z42, and demanded they fix it. Being out of warranty, they are requesting a copy of my sales receipt, and a copy of the last service that was performed on the unit, both of which I have ready to submit tomorrow.
In finding this post, you make note that there are all 3 parts that have been remanufactured and that need to be replaced. If you wouldn't mind sharing... two questions...
1) As of what date were these new parts remanufactured. Reason is, if they replaced my last failed part with an older one, then they will need to replace it again.
2) As to how do you know of this solution that (all 3) items need replacing?
Thanks
LB

MOtvGuy
User

Dec 14, 2007, 1:41 PM

Post #12 of 16 (9035 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LBOCEAN] Zenith Z42PX2D Pixel Noise Problem, Plz Help. [In reply to] Can't Post

The kit involved has been a replacement item for around a year now. I don't know of the date it was released. The kit itself is designed to repair the "sparkles" symptom.

Your symptom, which sounds like the X board let go, is not related to this particular symptom that the kit fixes.

LBOCEAN
New User

Dec 14, 2007, 5:11 PM

Post #13 of 16 (9030 views)
Shortcut

MO;
Thanks for the reply. I didn't note that I did have sparkles and just focused on the blackout itself.
It appears that these components have been among the most failed is what I've been picking up from many posts I've located on the web.

LB

MOtvGuy
User

Dec 15, 2007, 5:31 PM

Post #14 of 16 (9023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LBOCEAN] Zenith Z42PX2D Pixel Noise Problem, Plz Help. [In reply to] Can't Post

X and Y sustain board failures are common amoungst just about any Plasma TV. They both have high current components on them that are prone to failure.

LBOCEAN
New User

Dec 17, 2007, 12:24 AM

Post #15 of 16 (9019 views)
Shortcut

All bet much due to low quality board components. If these things were made with high-rel parts, they'd last Alot lot longer.

MOtvGuy
User

Dec 19, 2007, 1:14 PM

Post #16 of 16 (9010 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
All bet much due to low quality board components. If these things were made with high-rel parts, they'd last Alot lot longer.

And you'd have paid a lot more than $2k for the TV.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)