noob looking for plasma tv

akauk
New User

Mar 30, 2005, 6:47 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2482 views)
Shortcut
noob looking for plasma tv Can't Post

Hi everyone!

ime looking to buying a 42" plasma tv in the next couple of weeks and thinking of spending around £2000.

i was looking at a jvc one at currys model/PD4PD42B50BJ but dont no weather it is a good buy or not? i like the idea of conecting pc to it and using it as a monitor and splitting the screen to watch tv.

ive been trying to read up on plasma screens but there is so mutch to learn about them! EX: is it best to get built in tuner or seperate? and i have also read something about its best to get one with moving pixels to prevent burning?.

can anyone recomend a good plasma in the price range i am looking at spending! any help would be appreciated

thankyou.

(This post was edited by akauk on Mar 30, 2005, 6:55 PM)

JohnnyBoy
User

Mar 31, 2005, 11:17 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [akauk] noob looking for plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Don't know if you're aware of www.avforums.com. I finished up on their after having had 3 dodgy Goodmans plasmas (see Goodmans thread). Some seem to have been luck with theirs, which at 1000 was great, considering they have built in Tuner, PIP, etc., but I just wasn't getting good enough quality on SKY.

Spent some time on the AVForums site, looking at different arguments for different plasmas, but finished up with the Panasonic PW7, which is just a screen, so I did a special package which included a separate tuner box, and bought a separate 5.1 amp and speakers. Absolutely delighted with it but had to pay 1700 as compared to the 1000 Goodmans.

You should try and look at one before you buy, but even then you may face the problems I had, where a store might be prepared to pipe a DVD through for you and it looks great, but something like SKY which isn't transmitted at a particularly high quality, could look poor, which you don't find out until you get it home.

Hence, as the one I bought kept being praised time and time again, even for SKY, I took the plunge without viewing first, and like I said, I'm well chuffed.

If you really want to buy one with built in everything the best budget one that I saw being recommended was an LG model, but even that got some criticism. However, some of the remarks are down to what one person sees as not acceptable, but another might be happy with.

It's all a minefield, good luck

akauk
New User

Mar 31, 2005, 3:41 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnnyBoy] noob looking for plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

hi and thanks for your reply what was the set up (model numbers) you went for? plasma screen & tuner box can you do pic in pic with pc tv?

thanks

Robroy
User

May 21, 2005, 4:04 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [akauk] noob looking for plasma tv [In reply to] Can't Post

The two best low budget 42 inch HDTV Plasma displays are the Panasonic 42PX50U or the LG DU-42PX12X. I went ahead and got the LG for US$ 2,800 because the pani was $3000. I really like the LG, but I wish I would have paid a little extra and got the Pani because it has deeper blacks and just looks better. The other Plasma that you should consider is the Dell 42 inch HDTV Plasma. You can get it for around $2900. The Dell has received some fine reviews but depending on your location they will only ship in the continental US. Good luck and let me know what you decide.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)