Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Blue ghosting. How do I fix?

Xeniczone
New User

Jul 23, 2010, 1:37 AM

Post #1 of 22 (4646 views)
Shortcut
Blue ghosting. How do I fix? Can't Post

My TV seems to have this blue ghosting effect on it. The ghosting doesn't look like a coolant problem, and I have seen this before on other TVs and computer monitors, but have never cared to fix them.

Is this a tube problem, a convergence problem, or something I haven't thought of.

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 23, 2010, 7:37 AM

Post #2 of 22 (4641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Xeniczone] Blue ghosting. How do I fix? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do we assume it's a Samsung XXX6666xxx?

-------------------------

Xeniczone
New User

Jul 23, 2010, 10:50 AM

Post #3 of 22 (4639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Blue ghosting. How do I fix? [In reply to] Can't Post

O jeez, I'm sorry. I keep telling myself to post the model, guess I still didn't do it.

Mitsubishi VS-5073

V13B Model Chassis

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 23, 2010, 5:45 PM

Post #4 of 22 (4631 views)
Shortcut

Xeniczone;....

Your 2nd pix did not show up....
Just a big empty box with a small box in the upper top left corner with a red "x" in it....

In the 1st pix;=>....
IF you are talking about the color that trails off to the right of the "G" in "SAMSUNG" , that's called "smear"....

Then;...
It's a tube problem....
Your TV is about 15 years old & past the end of it's normal life....
It can be compensated for...
First I need you to answer the following question;=>...
""How much electronic/TV repair background experience do you have ????"""
The adjustment requires some Technicial knowledge.....

Please reply & I'll be glad to help you further.....

Later...Ron.M....Cool.....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 23, 2010, 5:54 PM

Post #5 of 22 (4627 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Blue ghosting. How do I fix? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no problem seeing his SyFy picture.

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jul 23, 2010, 5:59 PM)

Xeniczone
New User

Jul 23, 2010, 6:08 PM

Post #6 of 22 (4619 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Xeniczone;....

Your 2nd pix did not show up....
Just a big empty box with a small box in the upper top left corner with a red "x" in it....

In the 1st pix;=>....
IF you are talking about the color that trails off to the right of the "G" in "SAMSUNG" , that's called "smear"....

Then;...
It's a tube problem....
Your TV is about 15 years old & past the end of it's normal life....
It can be compensated for...
First I need you to answer the following question;=>...
""How much electronic/TV repair background experience do you have ????"""
The adjustment requires some Technicial knowledge.....

Please reply & I'll be glad to help you further.....

The smear is exactly what I'm talking about. The second pic may need you to refresh to show up.

I really want to keep this TV because I like the large size, and it can't be replaced with and LCD/Plasma. I use this TV for old video games that require CRT refresh rate or scan lines to work. Such as the Sega Scope 3D and Light guns.

I'm 19, but I would say I have a lot of experience with electronics. I was first introduced into electronics in 5th grade when my dad taught me to build a computer. I have fixed an LCD tv by replacing a backlight in it, which was hell trying to take the panel apart without breaking the screen, but overall I'm pretty comfortable taking stuff apart and fixing. Though I have no experience with CRTs.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 23, 2010, 10:30 PM

Post #7 of 22 (4609 views)
Shortcut

Xeniczone;.....

Sorry , but you lack some very important experience....
While LCDs are much more complex a TV (Circuitwise) , they are more compact than a Projection or CRT TV....
There's 30,000 volts (Among others) inside a CRT TV that can kill you....
Repairing a LCD , LED or Plasma TV usually is just a mechanical exercise....
ie , changing out a board/panel.....
Building a computer is IMHO , pretty much the same , tho you are constructing a unit...
I'm NOT trying to offend you in ANY way here....
Just pointing out some differences....
I feel you do not have any basic knowledge of electronics as to how a circuit works , what a diode does , a cap does , etc.....
That said , I'll still try to help you.....

The following adjustments are for compensating for older aging CRTs...
They may affect black & white pix....

It's been awhile since I last worked on this model....
So memory may be a bit hazy in certain areas....
I do not have the exact service manual for your TV , but have one that will cover it....

You will need to remove the front speaker grill...
This is done by grabbing the sides of the grill & gently pulling on it....
It is held in place with velcro pads.....
There you should see your speakers...
There should be about 5 screws holding that panel in place....
Remove the screws & carefully lay the speaker assembly over face down in front of the set...
The Blue CRT should be on your right side....
Look on the small panel at the bottom of the CRT neck for a small (About 1/2 ~ 1 inch diameter) black control (Adjustment) for "VR6A7"....
When you find it , practice reaching in & fake adjusting it...
Do this a few times so you can do it with the set ON with a degree of confidence....
Do NOT touch OR adjust ANYTHING else....
Do NOT try to remove that panel as it IS VERY close to the bottom of the cabinet & you could break the CRT neck trying to do that.....

Here comes the "fun" part.....
Turn the TV on....
Wait about 10~15 minutes for the TV to fully warm up...
Put your "Samsung" display on....
CAREFULLY reach in & using your fingers SLOWLY turn "VR6A7" in one direction OR the other till the smear goes toward the left side & dissappears...
Now , I couldn't tell by the pix you posted , but it's possible that you "may" have to adjust the green screen/G2 control also....
The green CRT is the center CRT.....
If so , the control on the green CRT panel is "VR6A6"....
Your "red" should be OK & NOT need to be adjusted....

Turn the color ALL the way down....
The black & white pix may not be good black & white anymore...
Learn to live with it....
As stated , your CRTs are aging....

Good Luck.....Sly.....

Xeniczone
New User

Jul 23, 2010, 10:48 PM

Post #8 of 22 (4602 views)
Shortcut

Thanks I will definitely give this a try, but you insult my intellect on electronics. I've built circuits from scratch before, I very well understand what a CRT is and how it contains high voltage. I just stated that I have never specifically worked with CRTs before. I can tell you that a diode allows the flow of electrons to go in one way and that a capacitor is used to store voltage, and is used for timing in most cases.

I guess I really shouldn't be insulted, after all it not like a gave you a resume :P

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 23, 2010, 11:15 PM

Post #9 of 22 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Xeniczone;....

Like I said.....NO OFFENSE....

Not one word about any diagnostic ability....Unsure....
Just an example of a mechanical repair.....
SORRY to have insulted your intelligence.....
(BTW:..A capacitor is NOT normally used to store "voltage"...
They are used to filter pulses , signals , & isolate different circuits from each other , etc....)
Please lets put this behind us & move on with your TV....OK.....Sly....

Have fun.....Wink....

Later....Ron.M.....Cool.....

Xeniczone
New User

Jul 23, 2010, 11:19 PM

Post #10 of 22 (4597 views)
Shortcut

Ok, Not gonna lie, the CRTs are a bit intimidating seeing for the first time.

Anywho, this is the correct one right? This is the only potentiometer that I can see on the CRT's board.

Just a few questions though. What exactly am I adjusting? And you said this will ruin the contrast?

And I think it is interesting that the blue CRT is on the right side, because this TV (and the sound system) was left with the house. The first thing I noticed was the previous owners had the subwoofer right up against the TV, and I moved it away when we first moved here. My dad is currently looking at replacing it with a new LCD, but I'm interested in keeping it working so I can play all my old CRT specific games in my room on a large screen.

I was also looking into replacing the convergence chips, resisters, etc... because the TV is started to show the beginnings of convergence issues. The concave at the top and bottom. It's really small now, and generally isn't noticable unless you get like 1ft away from the TV.

I was wondering if CRTs are replaceable with new CRTs? Do CRTs have specific interfaces like LCDs do. LCDs have a million different interfaces based on how many bits they are, and their resolution blah blah blah, I was wondering if CRTs had similar discrepancies if I was to try to get new CRTs for it.

Again, Thanks a lot.
-Xenic

EDIT: O that was a typo, I meant a capacitor stores voltage, and is normally used like a timer or delay type of thing.

And I said it shouldn't be mad blah blah blah, too bad emotion is lost in text, I didn't mean it in a insulted way, I meant it in a I'm correcting you way.

EDIT2: I heard of using them as filters, but never to isolate a circuit. Guess we learn stuff everyday.

(This post was edited by Xeniczone on Jul 23, 2010, 11:23 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 23, 2010, 11:41 PM

Post #11 of 22 (4580 views)
Shortcut

Xeniczone;......

I see you are online as I type this....
I can NOT get the pix to load up on my computer....
I get the small box with the red "x"....
I tried using Opera with the other pix & it worked....
I'm using IE 8 & have been having problems with my computer...
I have been online for about 7 hours now.....
I will wait for a quick reply then I need to go offline for awhile....
Since you appear to be a "computer Tech" maybe you can give me some advice....
BTW;...Refresh does NOT work.....

I will reply to ALL your questions as soon as my computer cooperates....OK.....

Later....Ron.M.....Cool....

Xeniczone
New User

Jul 24, 2010, 12:00 AM

Post #12 of 22 (4574 views)
Shortcut

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7347/dsc00141.png

Here is a direct link. It could just be a hotlink error. If that still fails, then I really have no idea because it seems to work on my other computers.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 24, 2010, 12:18 AM

Post #13 of 22 (4565 views)
Shortcut

Xeniczone;.....

OK , I went to Opera , saw the pix & came back.....
I'm having a problem with IE-8.....
In reply;.....
Yes , that's the right pot....(Provided it's on the blue CRT board)....

What exactly am I adjusting? And you said this will ruin the contrast?

You are adjusting G2 voltage to the CRT....I NEVER said it would affect contrast....I said it "may" affect "black & white" pix.....

I was also looking into replacing the convergence chips, resisters, etc... because the TV is started to show the beginnings of convergence issues. The concave at the top and bottom.

If it's only out a little bit , that could be from normal aging & the previous owner did not adjust the convergence....
You can set those adjustments by going into the "customer" menu , look for convergence & do it yourself.....
No big deal....

It's really small now, and generally isn't noticable unless you get like 1ft away from the TV.

Simple solution here;Don't get so dadgummed close to the TV !!!!!

I was wondering if CRTs are replaceable with new CRTs?

Yes they are....But in your case NOT worth it....
Reasons are;....
Your TV IS old....
All 3 CRTs have the same hours of play on them & are at the same point of life left....
Replacing one CRT gives that color CRT dominence...
ie; , If you replace the Red CRT , your pix may have a reddish background cast to it....
Therefore , replacing ALL 3 CRTs IS reccommended....
That IS costly & NOT reccommended....

From your reply;.....
This link;...
http://img837.imageshack.us/...37/7347/dsc00141.png

gives me EXACTLY the same problem.....(Using IE-8)

BTW;...Notice the link above is blue....Means it's live.....Just click on it.....
To activate the link , preview post & if needed click on the link to test it....
That way we don't have to open a new window & copy & paste your link , etc....

Xeniczone
New User

Jul 24, 2010, 12:46 AM

Post #14 of 22 (4561 views)
Shortcut

You are adjusting G2 voltage to the CRT....I NEVER said it would affect contrast....I said it "may" affect "black & white" pix.....

Ahh... I though you were suggesting contrast by that. My bad.

If it's only out a little bit , that could be from normal aging & the previous owner did not adjust the convergence....
You can set those adjustments by going into the "customer" menu , look for convergence & do it yourself.....
No big deal....

Yeah I adjust that, I even looked up service codes for it hoping to get more adjustment abilities, but all it gives you is a better "convergence map" so to speak. Like the costumer menu gives you a cross in the middle of the screen while the service menu gives you a checker pattern. That shows of the thing I was talking about better. The center of the screen is perfect, but the farther out from center you get the worst it gets. But I guess your right, it isn't bad enough to invest money into.

Yes they are....But in your case NOT worth it....
Reasons are;....
Your TV IS old....
All 3 CRTs have the same hours of play on them & are at the same point of life left....
Replacing one CRT gives that color CRT dominence...
ie; , If you replace the Red CRT , your pix may have a reddish background cast to it....
Therefore , replacing ALL 3 CRTs IS reccommended....
That IS costly & NOT reccommended....

Depends how costly it is. I would prefer to invest money into a newer Projection TV. Like when this one dies I will buy a newer one of craigslist or ebay. As you probably know they are cheap because they are bulky and rather outdated. Though, my dilemma is, I need a 4:3 CRT, and a prefer it to be large. So to me it may be worth the investment to have one of these restored, but personally I do not like this TV.

Is there a specific TV that you would recommend? I like to keep it in the 55" range. I think 65" range is too big. I've never been a fan of Mitsubishi, but I do like Sony, Hitachi, or Samsung.

gives me EXACTLY the same problem.....(Using IE-8)

BTW;...Notice the link above is blue....Means it's live.....Just click on it.....
To activate the link , preview post & if needed click on the link to test it....
That way we don't have to open a new window & copy & paste your link , etc....

Yeah, not sure what is up with IE-8. I may have to do some research, but I'm more interested in the TV right now. I've never really like IE. I've always used Firefox or Safari (Which is an Opera shell), but they stopped making IE for mac so it's not a prob. for me.

Again, Thanks for sharing your expertise. I will try adjusting the TV before I go to bed around 10-11, because I won't be here this weekend. And sorry if I implied I was mad before, I wasn't, I was just trying to correct your position on my electronic ability. I didn't mean insult as in an actual emotion.

(This post was edited by Xeniczone on Jul 24, 2010, 12:53 AM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 24, 2010, 2:46 AM

Post #15 of 22 (4550 views)
Shortcut

Xeniczone;....

There's not much to comment on , but , here goes.....

Though, my dilemma is, I need a 4:3 CRT, and a prefer it to be large.

You mentioned this before.... (Methinks , for games)...
May I enlighten you that a LOT of older & I think a whole lot more of the newer sets have a way to set the mode from 16:9 to 4:3 pix....SO if & when you go looking , make sure the set you are interested in has this feature built in....

Is there a specific TV that you would recommend?

No , there are way too many good ones out there & a lot of bad ones....

The center of the screen is perfect, but the farther out from center you get the worst it gets.

Did you try to adjust it ????.....

Yeah, not sure what is up with IE-8.

I've been told by a Tech at a computer Tech Assist website that I have a corrupted file (NOT neccessarily IE-8 files) that requires a OS repair....
I have Windows XP & did a repair a long time ago on another computer & lost tons of data & files.....
So , I'm NOT eager to jump back into that again....
I tried FireFox (On 2 computers) & it was sloooowwwweeerrr than IE....
So that was the end of FireFox....
Opera IS quicker , but , I'm having a problem getting used to it....

Again, Thanks for sharing your expertise.

NO problem....GLAD to be of help....PLEASE let us know how it came out....OK.....Sly.....
NO apologies needed....

Have a GREAT weekend.....Wink.....

GOOD LUCK.....Sly....

Later...Ron.M....Cool....

Xeniczone
New User

Jul 24, 2010, 11:55 AM

Post #16 of 22 (4544 views)
Shortcut

Did you try to adjust it ????.....

Yeah, I tried to adjust the convergence, and like I said, it converges perfectly in the middle of the screen, but as you get close to ANY corner the colors start to split apart. I thought this was the beginning signs of convergence problems.

Anywho, back to the color smear. I did get a still image that showed the smear. Turned out to be the menu on the DirecTV box, and I started adjusting. It actually adjusted the smear completely out! I then stuck a DVD in and noticed the smear again on one of the companies logos. So I started adjusting again, and got the smear completely out. At this point I noticed that all the blacks on the screen had a blue tint to them, so I dialed it back and decided to mess with the green with no luck. So I put it back together.

It looks a lot better then it did before, and as it turns out I got my green and red backwards. I didn't realize it until I put it back together and had one of those 'What the hell was I thinking' moment. I may take it apart again when I get home on monday to tune it even more. This time tuning the green not the red Wink

Overall I'm happy with the results. Better then expected to be honest.

One more question though, I think the damage was caused by magnets, because the previous owners put the Subwoofer so close to the tubes. Would degaussing further repair the tv, or would that be a waste of time?

EDIT: Actually I think the reason the pictures weren't showing up in IE is because IE doesn't have support for the PNG format?

(This post was edited by Xeniczone on Jul 24, 2010, 1:39 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 24, 2010, 5:01 PM

Post #17 of 22 (4539 views)
Shortcut

Xeniczone;.....

I see you are having "fun" & making progress....Congrats !!!!...

One more question though, I think the damage was caused by magnets, because the previous owners put the Subwoofer so close to the tubes. Would degaussing further repair the tv, or would that be a waste of time?

There was NO damage caused by the speakers....NONE !!!
Your TV is suffering from arthritus , alzheimers & in general old age....Unsure....
Table type & older floor model CRT TVs have a steel shield inside of or outside of the CRTs that are used to keep magnetic fields from interfering with the deflection of the electron beam to it's proper color....
ZERO projection TVs have this type of shield as each color has it's own CRT....
So , NO degaussing for ANY type of projection TV is needed.....

EDIT: Actually I think the reason the pictures weren't showing up in IE is because IE doesn't have support for the PNG format?

First off , IF that were the case , then WHY would the 1st pix load up OK & not the 2nd one in your original post (Post #1) ????....
They're both PNG format , right ????...
The problem IS with MY computer & NOT IE....
Something is NOT right with the IE program OR Win XP....
It's a long story I'm not going to explain here....
IF my IE file was OK , IE would support ANYTHING on ANY website with NO problem.....
Just as FireFox , Opera , Safari , or ANY other browser will....
In summary , it's NOT IE , it's a problem with IE on MY computer....

Enjoy your weekend.....Sly.....

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 24, 2010, 7:49 PM

Post #18 of 22 (4535 views)
Shortcut

You'll love Safari. It uses Opera shell.Smile

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 25, 2010, 4:43 PM

Post #19 of 22 (4517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Blue ghosting. How do I fix? [In reply to] Can't Post

jts1957;.....

It uses Opera shell.

I don't know that I'd be happy with a "shell" of anything....

OR is it ;=>....

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

becyn
New User

Aug 2, 2010, 2:47 PM

Post #20 of 22 (4473 views)
Shortcut

There was NO damage caused by the speakers....NONE !!!
Your TV is suffering from arthritus , alzheimers & in general old age....Unsure....
Table type & older floor model CRT TVs have a steel shield inside of or outside of the CRTs that are used to keep magnetic fields from interfering with the deflection of the electron beam to it's proper color....
ZERO projection TVs have this type of shield as each color has it's own CRT....
So , NO degaussing for ANY type of projection TV is needed.....

I read thru this thread rather quickly...(with all of it's twists and turns...), so I wonder if you looked into the blue lens (with the TV off) with a flashlight to check for contaminaton of the glycol?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit McVey Electronics for TV Repair!

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 2, 2010, 5:15 PM

Post #21 of 22 (4467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [becyn] Blue ghosting. How do I fix? [In reply to] Can't Post

becyn;.....

I read thru this thread rather quickly.

What you apparently missed was that we are talking about a "Mitsubishi" Projection TV & NOT a Philips/Magnavox TV....
Mitsubishi Projection TVs were NOT susceptible to a coolant problem....
AND as Xeniczone's pix & post info says , he does not appear to have a coolant problem....
If you have any experience at all ( & your website indicates you DO ) , you'd see that he has an older Mitsubishi that is prone to CRT smear....
This as you & I both know is due to weak CRTs ....
Coolant contamination would NOT cause "smear" of the type he shows.........
Further;....Adjusting the "G2" controls would have NO effect on "halo" effect that bad coolant gives other than decreasing or increasing the brightness of it...

I have NO qualm with you OR anyone else jumping in & giving advice....
I do tend to get upset when the advice is blatantly wrong OR misleading.....
I'm NOT saying yours is...You admitted you skimed thru the thread....
So I suggest you PLEASE read the thread thoroughly BEFORE you do....

Have a good week.....Wink......

Later....Ron.M......Cool.....

becyn
New User

Aug 2, 2010, 6:37 PM

Post #22 of 22 (4463 views)
Shortcut

True, I should have read the whole thing, but it was giving me a headache (much ado about nothing), so I just dropped the post in there...just in case. Those bacteria do love that blue light though.

He could very well have a "mushy" tube, but I thought the coolant was worth a look irregardless.

Lots of sets have predictable fail modes, but there are those exceptions.

I retrospect, I should have kept quit. Sorry...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit McVey Electronics for TV Repair!

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)