Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
DLP tv -> bulb blew, color wheel is fine, buzzing/humming?

kidalive25
New User

Jan 31, 2012, 9:07 PM

Post #1 of 2 (2836 views)
Shortcut
DLP tv -> bulb blew, color wheel is fine, buzzing/humming? Can't Post

like the subject pretty much says, i was watching my 56" Samsung DLP when out of nowhere (Tv had been working fine, had replaced the lamp about 8 months ago with not the highest end lamp, but a decent one) it popped and the tv went dark. audio kept playing but i also noticed a 4 or 5 second light buzzing sound, followed by a few seconds of silence. i had read that this can be caused by a faulty color wheel but i pulled it out and looked at it and it looks perfect.
so the question is can a blown lamp be directly responsible for a buzzing sound? the color wheel is fine and the tv has never had any major problems. i just wanted to feel a little bit better about buying a bulb and hoping to God it isn't something far more damaging. Thanks to the experts here for any help.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2012, 8:11 AM

Post #2 of 2 (2540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kidalive25] DLP tv -> bulb blew, color wheel is fine, buzzing/humming? [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a ballast that tries to ignite the bulb & will make an arcing noise, if the lamp doesn't light it may try again.

Also bearings do go bad in motor that spins the color wheels & will sometimes have a humming or buzzing noise. It's very hard to detect a bad bearing when inspecting a color wheel by had but once in a set they spin up to 10,000 rpm or higher & you can sometimes start to hear it.

This also could be a bearing going bad in a cooling fan that helps to keep the lamp from getting too hot, if this fan doesn't spin fast enough this could cause a lamp to blow up.

I'd say my first thought is probably right; just the ballast trying to ignite the lamp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)