Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Help! Magnavox 9p5034c103 ptv835

mule555
New User

Mar 30, 2005, 11:00 PM

Post #1 of 2 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Help! Magnavox 9p5034c103 ptv835 Can't Post

Basically, the picture has an overall yellow tint. I have tried everything on the menu to fix it with no success. The convergence seems to be fine. Also along with the yellow tint there is a haze or fringe on brighter colors like blue and white. i called some tv places but they want $60 to look at it. i want to fix it myself so if anyone could give me some suggestions it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

floridapilot
New User

Apr 15, 2005, 1:50 PM

Post #2 of 2 (2037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mule555] Help! Magnavox 9p5034c103 ptv835 [In reply to] Can't Post

The Magnavox PTV's are notorious for contamination of CRT coolant. Between the lens and the actual face of the CRT is a glycerin-based coolant that will contaminate, making it cloudy and discolored. This causes the symptoms you are describing. It is usually the green and/or blue CRT's that get contaminated.

Assuming this is the cause of your problem, you will need to remove and replace the coolant, and you may also need to clean the face of the CRT itself.

This is a major job in that the CRT must be removed from the set to do the work. This presents a great danger of electrical shock (even after the set is unplugged) and implosion.

Furthermore, when you replace the CRT, the set will need a realignment, and a major realignment if you remove/replace the green CRT.

Unless you are highly knowledgeable as to these procedures, you need to have this professionally done.

If it is done right with the proper equipment, it likely won't be cheap.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)