Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
How to clean CRT coolant off mainboard?

floridapilot
New User

Apr 15, 2005, 1:58 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1687 views)
Shortcut
How to clean CRT coolant off mainboard? Can't Post

Hi, I have a RPTV with both the video/tuner board and the HV/deflection board saturated with a major CRT coolant spill.

I once heard of a procedure for properly dealing with this, but can't find it anywhere.

Fortunately, the set was unplugged when the coolant was spilled, so I am hoping that if I can clean and dry the PCB's, they might still be functional. But, there are large caps in the power supply section- I'm wondering if they discharged during the spill and fried nearby semiconductors/IC's.

Any insight as to the likeliness of salvaging this set would be very helpful, as well as how to get the fluid off.

It doesn't seem to want to dry. I spent hours with q-tips and a blow dryer, trying to mop up the PCB's but it still seems that stubborn fluid remains underneath ICs and components.

Prior to the spill, there was nothing wrong with the TV other than needing to replace the CRT coolant.

Thanks,

-Jason

minehunter
User

Apr 16, 2005, 6:41 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [floridapilot] How to clean CRT coolant off mainboard? [In reply to] Can't Post

Try hot soapy water and then rinse it well with hot hot water and let it air dry standing on edge. That should do it. Rubbing alcohol will also work, but hot water wash is the best and DON'T use a lot of soap. You have to totally unplug the boards and have them out of the set to do this.

If not Alcohol may be your last resort. I don't think you'll have probelms with discharging caps if the set was unplugged. they should have discharged themselves in shrt order after unplugging it.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)