Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Jts 1957 I need your help!!

InuGoku
New User

Nov 4, 2010, 9:57 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1312 views)
Shortcut
Jts 1957 I need your help!! Can't Post

Now i got a Mitsubishi vs-5004r. It works, but the picture is really dark. I cant find any information online about what can be causing this.

I also tried looking for the convergence IC's to replace them because the picture is slightly distorted. I read that these model tvs could be using transistors instead of convergence chips?

Can you give me some pointers?

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 4, 2010, 11:57 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [InuGoku] Jts 1957 I need your help!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Convergence ICs = STK4272 IC8A0 & IC8A1.

What type of distorted picture? With or without color fringing (3-D effect)? Pincushion distortion? Vertical or horizontal distortion?

1990 Chassis. How do the CRTs test? These sets weren't exactly known for their brightness.Wink

-------------------------

InuGoku
New User

Nov 5, 2010, 12:45 AM

Post #3 of 4 (1304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Jts 1957 I need your help!! [In reply to] Can't Post

well the distortion is only on the right hand side vertically with fringing. Only about 3/4" - 1" from the right hand side. I tried the convergence option but its already centered. So i thought it would need the IC's swapped.

CTR? The green, blue, and red bulbs? (sorry if im wrong) They are working ok.

When the set turns on, its REALLY dark but as it warms up it starts to show up a bit better but still pretty dark.

Here is some info i got from some other guys.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101103141614AAgY5Mw&r=w

I did clean the mirror and the blue, green, and red bulbs but its still dark.

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 5, 2010, 1:19 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [InuGoku] Jts 1957 I need your help!! [In reply to] Can't Post

If the red (blue) can move both up & down through the horizontal portion of the CENTER cross AND If the red (blue) can move both left & right through the vertical portion of the CENTER cross. Convergence ICs are NOT the problem!

How do the 20-year-old CRTs with supposedly 20 years of usage on them test with your picture tube tester?

How much more brightness is there when it is warmed up, compared to when first turned on? 100% ... 300% ... 1000%, or more like 10%?

You could try checking the filter electrolytics on the input and output of any three-terminal regulators. Also look for any electrolytics that have leaked oil onto boards. Should be easy to see with the amounts of dust that thing is likely to have in it ("light" vs. "dark" dust in a puddle shape under the capacitor).

If all else fails you could mark the G2/screen pot shafts (so they can be returned to their starting positions) and slowly increase each about 10 - 20 degrees CW.

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)