KP-53V15 Convergence Panel Settings Help

tenordiamore
New User

Feb 6, 2005, 2:25 AM

Post #1 of 2 (1625 views)
Shortcut
KP-53V15 Convergence Panel Settings Help Can't Post

Hello,

I read through some postings before I decided to send this request. A neighbor gave me a Sony KP-53V15 and said that all the adjustments had been "messed" with on the circuit board on the bottom front of the television. It sounds like this circuit board with a lot of micro-dials on it is called the convergence board, from what I have read. Anyway, I had a technician come and look at it and he shook his head because indeed these adjustments are all off. Someone thought that a chip might have been bad, but he said this is not the case. So, I am looking to get the factory settings for this circuit board and all it's micro-dials. Oh, as an FYI, it has a good enough picture for how old it is (mfg in 1993), convergence is off, or at least it seems to have different convergence at different points on the screen. The "frame" is better after the technician adjusted some of the settings. Sound is really good. It gets decent picture from an antenna. So, everything seems to work, other than colors are off, convergence will not adjust with the remote, as when you adjust it, it is different in the center than on the bottom or top.

So, in summary, I am looking for the factory settings for the circuit board micro-dials (if that is what they are called) that is located below the screen on the front bottom of the TV (in-between the speakers). Thank you!! I did not feel like paying the technician an additional $250 dollars to do this.

Brian
Brian

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2005, 1:12 AM

Post #2 of 2 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tenordiamore] KP-53V15 Convergence Panel Settings Help [In reply to] Can't Post

Her we go again, Because the cross hairs do not move in the convergance menu we KNOW the Ic's are bad, now what someone did to you was try to fix a electrical problem with a mechanical pot. this now made it far worse. First thig have the Ic's changed thats where the problem started, second if you want to know the default setting for all these there is none. if we replace the board with new they are set from the factory from what they have determined from placing the board in a "JIG" and setting voltages to a know "Center" reading for this set.
But since that didn't happen best you can do is center each one and sit down for several hours and try to converge it. This is a real bitch, I am a qualified, train factory autherise Sony tech, with all the proper test equipment and tools to do this and even thogh I have done this hundreds of times it still takes about 2 to 3 hours to get to a 98% converged set, and most times I am still forced to leave a corner fuzzy to get a overall best pix out it.
Sonys are the most difficult to converge this way, Now if someone had listened and changed the Ic's before all this happened In most cases the set DOES-NOT have to converged or in a few a small "Tweek" that takes two to three minutes to preform. O and by the way lets forget the repair and talk just about the setup of convergance when some one does this Going rate here is $185.00 an hour for in home setup.
Final word Kids Cranking screww around will not fix a electrical problem, if convergance goes out fast and far off no control will bring it back, and in most cases if you can not move the cross hairs in the CUSTOMER controls the Ic has failed and jumping to the SERVICE menu will not magical fix this either
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)