First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

cartelli
New User

Oct 19, 2009, 9:57 PM

Post #1 of 115 (14933 views)
Shortcut
Phillips 61 Inch Tv Problem Can't Post

hey guys ^^
i just bought a 61 inch Phillips Magnavox Projection Tv and i knew the problem exsisted but im hoping its a quick fix, the tv itself displays great, sound is perfect, and i have it running everything atm, but theres one problem, its very red and green, i know theres three cylinders in the back (red,greeen,and blue) but idk why it displays red and green only, i was told it was the tv tube but i thought projection tvs go by projecting not tubes like older tvs, well i was just wondering if i can find a solution and what parts i need 2 replace and what i need 2 do. i watch tv on it i mean its watchable just would like it to be the best it can be :)

any information would be most appreciated thx

heres some #'s on the back, idk if they r needed but it dosent hurt to include them right :)

model #- 9P6444 C102
serial #- 28765865
chassis model #-PTV840

some random # i found- 3919mo826

techchris
Veteran

Oct 19, 2009, 10:54 PM

Post #2 of 115 (14924 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cartelli] Phillips 61 Inch Tv Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

swap the red and blue tube base boards.if still no blue then the blue tube is croaked

cartelli
New User

Oct 19, 2009, 10:56 PM

Post #3 of 115 (14923 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Phillips 61 Inch Tv Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

how do i swap?? and if its dead can i replace it?

techchris
Veteran

Oct 19, 2009, 11:02 PM

Post #4 of 115 (14918 views)
Shortcut

you pull the bases off the end of the tubes and put the blue one on the red tube and red base on the blue tube.you know the red signal is ok because you said the red was ok so now the blue should light up and not the red one. if the blue still does not light up you know it is faulty.

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 19, 2009, 11:41 PM

Post #5 of 115 (14912 views)
Shortcut

techchris;....

put the blue one on the red tube and red base on the blue tube

There might not be enough slack in the wires to pull that one off.!!!...Crazy...
Red & blue crt's are at opposite ends of the assembly...
Since he said there's green , how about making it easier & switch the "green" crt board with the blue board,???...Unsure....I mean , they're side by side....Laugh....
Also , with all due respect , I question his ability to fix it himself....
BUT , we're game if he is ...Wink......

Good Luck, fellas....Sly....

Later....Ron.M....Cool.....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

cartelli
New User

Oct 20, 2009, 2:35 AM

Post #6 of 115 (14907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Phillips 61 Inch Tv Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

till my dad gets home with the tools to do it im not attempting it, but yes im game im might be a newbie at tvs but not with computers and xboxs haha

its just i wana make sure im doing it right, the tv itself was 150$ which for a 61 inch tv is a great deal, and im hoping whatever is making the blue not show will be a easy or just a cheap fix, if not then more money put into it lol, i mean even 300$ for this v is well worth it if u ask me :)

techchris
Veteran

Oct 20, 2009, 7:25 AM

Post #7 of 115 (14899 views)
Shortcut

you are right Ron I was probably daydreaming at the time. green and blue it is.I need to retire and play more golf!

cartelli
New User

Oct 20, 2009, 8:02 PM

Post #8 of 115 (14889 views)
Shortcut

ok well the blue works i mean without switching the boards, i can see the blue cylinder light up but idk if the blue tube might be messed up or its the crt, well when i get time ill switch the red and blue or blue and green which ever and see if it changes anything, might i add that if i change some setting on the back panel that looks like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0xPnZbi2QtQ/Rn7bY4P11uI/AAAAAAAACR8/mzXshejjEhg/s400/7_red_blue_green_voltage_band_adjustment.jpg

if i turn the red all the way up i get really red with lines through the middle, if green all the way up i get just green, blue all the way up and i get a dark blue with lot of fuzzy dots or a better word static in the screen, idk if this tells anyone anything on how to fix it but im thinking its not the board or the tube anymore

any info much appricated ^^

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 23, 2009, 11:44 PM

Post #9 of 115 (14855 views)
Shortcut

cartelli;.....

That's the longest link I've ever seen for a very small pix...
On my monitor the link is longer than the pix....Unsure
If you are going to jump around , do things that could do more dammage to your TV & NOT listen to what the Tech's here are trying to help you with , then , I , for one am outta here....
Turning up the G2 (Screen) controls all the way sends a massive amount of juice thru those older CRTs...NOT A GOOD idea...
And , you could be right about the CRT or the board being not the problem...
BUT , why take risks you may do further dammage with...
Take the time & post what you are thinking about doing FIRST & someone here will guide you as to whether it's a good idea OR not....
Better yet, DO AS they suggest & post the results....
They or I will then give you the next step...OK !!!!

Later....Ron.M....Cool.....

cartelli
New User

Oct 28, 2009, 12:03 AM

Post #10 of 115 (14833 views)
Shortcut

ron im sorry, ur right u guys r the experts not me, i did as asked and switched the boards, for one whoever said to switch blue and red was right because green had more wires to it and cannot be switched, and when i switched them i didnt really know what i did, i mean the problem was reversed, everything that was supposed to be red was blue and vice versa, i guess that was supposed to happen, well anyway i switched the 2 and blue was still the problem, since everything kinda switched the screen was soo hard 2 watch cause the blue was so screwed up.
im gonna get some fluid for the tubes and switch it out, i know they r contaminated so it wont hurt to clean them out now will it?
anyway reply back any info u can thx!

and with the current info, ron or any other expert what would u think my problem is? is it the contamination or is it a board or crt problem? anyway changing the fluid cant hurt and i know how so im gonna do that after i can pull myself away from playing borderlands on my xbox lol

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 28, 2009, 12:46 AM

Post #11 of 115 (14827 views)
Shortcut

cartelli:....

NO offense , BUT your English & typeing are so bad that I need a translator JUST to read your post....SORRY....

Answer this , please....
When you switched the CRT boards from the red to blue & the blue to red , did the "blue" look the SAME as before you switched OR better than before ???...Did the red change in any way ???...

Take the front screen off & take a look into each color...
You should see a clean , clear picture in each one....
If not , if the pix coolant is cloudy , it needs changeing....
Based on your experience , do NOT do it yourself !!!!
Call a good TV repairman for an estimate & go from there...

Good Luck....

Later...Ron.M....Cool....

cartelli
New User

Oct 28, 2009, 3:42 AM

Post #12 of 115 (14822 views)
Shortcut

i type fast, sorry my english is great i just abbreviate and type fast so it messes up some times.

i switched the boards and the blue looked the same as before, as in the dark blue hard to look at kinda blue, it is kinda like it glows.

so i take it since it was the same that it isnt the board right?

well you are right, i looked into the tubes like a week ago, since the contaminant cant grow in the red i compared from that. it was very murky and looked like cob webs in there actually lol.

but to be honest i bought the tv for 150 bucks and plan on doing all the work myself , if i fuck the tv up by doing a liquid change wrong and spill coolant on the crt's then that's my fault. but i want to know what the main issue is before i go in and fix what might not be the problem, i know the tubes need to be cleaned so that's a definite thing needing to be done, and hell if it isn't why the blue looks bad it cant hurt to do it, it will only make the picture better :)

hope my english was better this time ron >.>
for now im going to bed! lol

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 28, 2009, 4:27 AM

Post #13 of 115 (14817 views)
Shortcut

cartelli;.....
THANK you , Thank you....Much better to read....
OK....With the boards on their correct CRTs , take one last look in the blue....See if you see ANY video thru all the contaminent...IF you can make out any hint of a picture , you're good to go....

so i take it since it was the same that it isnt the board right?

That is correct....Board is OK....Smile....

contaminant cant grow in the red

Yes , it DOES...It just takes a lot longer....

hope my english was better this time ron >.>

MUCH , MUCH better & I THANK you....

BTW:...I have the service manual for your set....Sly.....
PS:...If needed , can you send pictures ???

See ya tommorrow or in your case , today....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Oct 28, 2009, 4:29 AM)

cartelli
New User

Oct 28, 2009, 12:21 PM

Post #14 of 115 (14810 views)
Shortcut

if i look through the tube then yes i can see a very faint picture through the blue, but its VERY hard to see any sort of picture, if you tell me what to take a picture of then sure :)
i have a camera right here actually, at the moment though i have to go to school, but when i get home ill read (if you have posted back) and ill take some photos

so i take it that its not the board, and since i can see a little picture that it might not be the tube..... you i take it your gonna suggest its the contamination right :)

i hope so cause that's a more cost affective fix lol

and if you don't mind answering me this simple question..... i used to have a 30 inch tv in my room and the cable wasn't fuzzy at all but its split through a splitter and im guessing since going from 30 to 61 inches that the screen just increased the fuzzy picture that i just couldn't see on my little screen, well my question is how can i go about fixing that? my dad says buy a better splitter know a good link to a good splitter? or maybe a different solution :)

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 28, 2009, 5:46 PM

Post #15 of 115 (14803 views)
Shortcut

cartelli;....

If it's hard to see a picture , but IF you DO see one , you're good to go....
CRT has 98% chance it's OK....Laugh...
No need to send me a picture of a picture....Laugh...
You have real bad coolant....Needs to be changed properly !!!

Now about your other question:...
IF your picture IS clean & clear on your 30 inch TV , chances are it WILL be clean & clear on your 61 inch TV...
IF your cable company is STILL provideing a strong signal , you'll be OK...
Getting an expensive (alledgedly better) splitter may/may not solve the possible problem...
Let's cross that bridge when you get there...
When you hook up the 61 inch & IF it's fuzzy , PM me & I'll help you out....

Give me some time to get you some info on changeing the coolant...I will post back soon....

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Oct 28, 2009, 8:24 PM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 28, 2009, 8:23 PM

Post #16 of 115 (14798 views)
Shortcut

cartelli;....

Coolant;

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/...Ki4J0CFdMtpAodIUReNw

$7.99 a bottle + s/h.....you only need 2...Change the blue & green ONLY....Red IS OK....

The link below will give you an idea of what you are in for...Read EVERY WORD....
It is not for your exact model but close enough for your use....And , yes ,
there ARE pictures....PLENTY of them....
Do NOT poke a hole in the bottom of the coolant bottle as he says....
You will have more than enough coolant for 2 CRTs &
will have some left over...You have any questions , just post here...

http://www.tv-forums.com/..._convergence_P50090/

This link has info on CRT removal....Read for further insight.....

http://www.keohi.com/...tubereplacement.html

You STILL want to do it yourself ????...Unsure.....

If so , GOOD LUCK & keep us informed as to your progress...OK...Sly...

Later...Ron.M...Cool....

cartelli
New User

Oct 28, 2009, 9:18 PM

Post #17 of 115 (14793 views)
Shortcut

ok i looked at the link and omg the finding nemo pic looks just like mine!!!

do you know a way to change the fluid without taking the tubes out? if thats not possible then i think ill just wake up early like him and take the whole day perfecting it :)

and for the cable issue i have it hooked up to my 61 inch and it IS fuzzy
but idk if a new splitter is in order or what, in my parents room (which is where it splits to) and its a way smaller tv then 61 inches so the fuzzy stuff dosent show as much as it would on a bigger tv.

and thx for the link to the coolant change, it will help me more than you know :)
i was gonna use this link http://www.riddledtv.com/repair/journal/CRTCoolant/
but ill just follow that one instead, yeah his tv picture looks just like mine so i guess thats what the problem is :)
im so happy its a cheap fix, easy no but hopefully a fun project....
and also i hear that if you leave air in the tubes as you fill them there will be a "ghost" on your screen when you turn it on. i think i read that the air bubbles in the coolant are supposed to be there when you first put it in correct?

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 28, 2009, 10:13 PM

Post #18 of 115 (14790 views)
Shortcut

cartelli;.....

do you know a way to change the fluid without taking the tubes out?

There is a way to do that....However , I do NOT reccommend you do it that way (VERY MESSY)...
The risk of spilling corrosive coolant into the insides of the set & causing MAJOR dammage are TOO great....
The coolant is ethelene glycol , the same stuff you use in your car as anti-freeze only it's processed further to be a clear liquid...
It is toxic (poison) & VERY corrosive to electronics etc...
The ABSOLUTE safest way is to take one CRT out at a time & change the fluid that way...
Do it the RIGHT way & take them out of the set....

for the cable issue i have it hooked up to my 61 inch and it IS fuzzy

You are probably going to need a cable booster/amplifier to do the job right...

i hear that if you leave air in the tubes as you fill them there will be a "ghost" on your screen when you turn it on. i think i read that the air bubbles in the coolant are supposed to be there when you first put it in correct?

The small air bubbles in the coolant migrate to the top of the coolant after you have the CRT installed back in the TV & cause NO ghosts OR harm of ANY kind...
It makes NO difference if there's air bubbles or NOT when you first put it in....They go away all by themselves...

i hear that if you leave air in the tubes

What do you mean by "tubes"????....

cartelli
New User

Oct 29, 2009, 3:12 AM

Post #19 of 115 (14777 views)
Shortcut

i dont know the correct term so i just say tubes lol
but yea i guess ill just learn how to take them out by following the instructions on that link you provided

and when in the post he says that the red wire can have a build up of electricity, and can shock you a great deal or some crap like that, is this true? and if so how do i avoid this problem.

im gonna order the fluid this weekend most likely.

any suggestions on a good booster for the cable :)

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 29, 2009, 4:28 AM

Post #20 of 115 (14772 views)
Shortcut

cartelli;.....

and when in the post he says that the red wire can have a build up of electricity, and can shock you a great deal or some crap like that, is this true? and if so how do i avoid this problem.

Yes , that's true....Start by leaving the set unplugged for a day or two...When you disconnect the red wire from the "white tube" stay away from the metal part at the end that comes out of it....
(BTW: Do NOT remove the red wire from the side of the CRT !!!...There's rubber type cover with a silicone sealant that's used to keep 30,000 volts from arcing there...)...
Touch the metal end of the red wire to any metal around the outside of the upper part of the CRT to discharge any spark that may be left...
BTW:...Be careful when removeing the red wire from the "white tubes"....The tubes can be brittle & break off...Also , in the photo , you see a black sleeve on the red wire...Mark the top of the sleeve on the red wire with a ball point pen...This is in case it slips on the wire...You will know where it was at...The sleeves location on the wire IS important...

any suggestions on a good booster for the cable :)

I have NEVER been on NOR intend to be on cable....
Try Radio Shack or a similar electronics store in your area...
Ask for a Cable Amplifier....

Later....Ron.M....Cool....

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 29, 2009, 6:16 AM

Post #21 of 115 (14758 views)
Shortcut

Try a DVD or VCR on an A/V Input. If THAT's "fuzzy" too, then amp won't solve your problem.Wink

-------------------------

cartelli
New User

Oct 29, 2009, 12:02 PM

Post #22 of 115 (14755 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Phillips 61 Inch Tv Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

yes my cable is through my vcr, but its split before it gets there, im guessing making the connection weaker.

changing the fluid should be a fun project :), and for the red wire, the blue dosent have one right.... and since im not doing the red i only need to disconnect the green one....

jts any suggestions on where to go from here?

and ron thx for all the help after im donw with the fluid ill post back and tell you how it went, but that wont be for awhile lol

Ron.M
Veteran

Oct 29, 2009, 6:22 PM

Post #23 of 115 (14749 views)
Shortcut

cartelli;...

changing the fluid should be a fun project :), and for the red wire, the blue dosent have one right.... and since im not doing the red i only need to disconnect the green one....

WHOA!!!...If your blue does not have a red wire , whaaaaa!!!!

ALL 3 CRTs have a thick red wire.....You are right about the red "tube"...BUT you WILL have to disconnect the red wire for the green & blue "tubes"...

jts any suggestions on where to go from here?

What happened to me here ????

Later...Ron.M....Cool......

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 29, 2009, 8:20 PM

Post #24 of 115 (14744 views)
Shortcut

I'm just trying to point out the possibility that the "fuzziness," IF there when watching a store bought movie via DVD or Tape MAY be a fault with the set rather than the cable signal.Smile

-------------------------

cartelli
New User

Oct 29, 2009, 9:08 PM

Post #25 of 115 (14741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Phillips 61 Inch Tv Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

IM SO SORRY RON, u can answer 2 :) ur the master in this operation xD

i havent looked to see if there was a red wire on the blue "tube" but in a convergence tut someone said there wasnt one..... guess he was wrong lol

and for the fuzziness, when watching a movie on a dvd player the picture is crystal clear :) its just the cable splitting off i guess makes the signal weaker and makes the cable part of my tv fuzzy.

any suggestions from either of you, i just thought since jts asked about a vcr then he knew what the problem was haha

i play xbox everyday and other then the color being way off and 2 red its almost a perfect picture, the thing that bothers me most is the blue outline around everything, cant wait to change the fluid and get that problem goon.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)