Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD

JulieMor
New User

Aug 29, 2012, 5:38 PM

Post #1 of 9 (5215 views)
Shortcut
Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD Can't Post

We have a Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD rear projection TV that we bought new in 2002. Back then MSRP was around $7200. I think we bought it for something in the mid $4K range. <br> <br>Yesterday, after 10 years of problem free service, we heard a pop and the screen went dark. No picture, no sound. The only sign of life was the red standby light. Attempts to shut it down, turn off the power, restart it, all failed. <br> <br>After opening the back up I found two fuses on the power supply board were blown. For anyone really familiar with this TV, they are fuses FU202 (6.3A) and FU204 (5A) on the AWV1912 circuit board. That's the board mounted vertically on the right when facing the back. <br> <br>I've read Pioneer boards are notorious for having poor solder connections. Some suggest trying to re-solder all the pins on the power supply and deflection boards. That's a lot of tedious work with no guarantee it will work or that I won't fry any of the circuitry. <br> <br>I could just replace the fuses but I'm not addressing the problem that caused them to blow. And if I replace them and turn the TV back on, I could risk doing further damage if there's a surge past the fuses. <br> <br>A new power supply board runs about $300. Same for the deflection board. There are other boards that could also be the problem. Or maybe it's something completely different. <br> <br>So my question is, "What would you do if this was your TV?" <br>1. Call in a service repair person? (They are hard to find for that TV.) <br>2. Replace the fuses and keep your fingers crossed? <br>3. Replace the power supply if the fuses blow again? <br>4. Then replace the deflection board if the fuses blow again? <br>5. Then replace something else if that doesn't work? <br>6. Or just not risk throwing good money away and give the TV a good burial? (Not sure how I'd replace it now as funds are limited.) <br> <br>BTW, I will at least replace the fuses and clean the mirror and lenses before reassembling everything. <br>

(This post was edited by JulieMor on Aug 30, 2012, 4:53 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 30, 2012, 12:22 AM

Post #2 of 9 (5205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JulieMor] Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see what you do with this ... at least you will be able to see what the fuses protect.

http://elektrotanya.com/...hd.pdf/download.html

Edit: Only partial manual, but does have diagnosis flowcharts.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Aug 30, 2012, 12:31 AM)

JulieMor
New User

Aug 30, 2012, 1:37 PM

Post #3 of 9 (5200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the entire service manual. I haven't followed through the schematic yet to trace the fuses out. But you're right, I need to do that.

The "guru" said re-solder the power supply board and your TV could easily see its 20th birthday. He's very high on these projection TVs saying they rival even today's pictures.

Right now I have the cleanest 10 year old projection TV that doesn't work in the world. I removed every bit of dust and dirt, inside and out, that I could find. Next is tackling the power supply board.

JulieMor
New User

Aug 30, 2012, 3:16 PM

Post #4 of 9 (5199 views)
Shortcut

I found in the service manual that when those fuses blow there's either a problem with high loading on the conversion amp or the conversion muting is not activated. I'm guessing it's the first one.

I'm wondering, could poor solder connections cause the high loading problem?

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 30, 2012, 3:32 PM

Post #5 of 9 (5197 views)
Shortcut

CONVERGENCE problems ARE very common with ALL projo sets.

Also, I'm no Jethro Bodine when it comes to cyphering, but there seems to be a problem with your date/years?

JulieMor
New User

Aug 30, 2012, 3:49 PM

Post #6 of 9 (5193 views)
Shortcut

"...there seems to be a problem with your date/years?"

You mean how old the TV is?

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 30, 2012, 4:11 PM

Post #7 of 9 (5191 views)
Shortcut

2012 minus 10 years = 2002 or set must have required service at least once between new (1992) and "10 years of problem free service?"

JulieMor
New User

Aug 30, 2012, 4:55 PM

Post #8 of 9 (5189 views)
Shortcut

Ooops! We bought it in 2002, not 1992 (I just corrected that in the OP). I'm still having a problem with this new century. Crazy

JulieMor
New User

Sep 22, 2012, 2:28 AM

Post #9 of 9 (5105 views)
Shortcut

I resoldered the power supply board, replaced the convergence ICs, replaced the entire convergence amp assy all for naught.

I ordered all the parts the service manual said might be causing the problem. If that fails, the set goes.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)