Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Pioneer SD-P55A5K Dead As A Door Nail

cfox
New User

May 3, 2005, 12:00 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1402 views)
Shortcut
Pioneer SD-P55A5K Dead As A Door Nail Can't Post

This set is 8 years old, it has had prior problems with convergence.

It has also had many problems with loose solder connections on the power side of the board.

Over the weekend I went to turn the set on, it acted like it was going to come on but then went back off.

I pulled the back off, and checked all fuses on the power side of the board, they all seem to be fine.

On the front of the set I used to have a red standby light that was on all of the time, until I turned the set on, and then it would turn to green. Now I have no light at all, red or green?

I had a so called tech out to look at it, and he again checked all of the fuses with no bad ones found. His soultion was the convergence chips needed replaced, the set was in shutdown mode.

My question is how could this set go from playing great with no convergence problems at all, to now needing the convergence chips replaced?

Does this tech know what he is talking about, or could there be something else causing this problem?

Thanks

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

May 3, 2005, 6:45 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cfox] Pioneer SD-P55A5K Dead As A Door Nail [In reply to] Can't Post

Convergance Ic's are one of the hardest working parts of any projection set, they genarate huge amounts of heat and goble up massive amounts of power, all this leads to these Ic's being one of the most comon failurs in Big Screen tv's. They die several ways' one being that all of a sudden the colors don't line up, and or you can not adjust the cross hairs anymore, second the short out and don't take the fuse that protects them and this is what will keep many sets from even turning on
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

cfox
New User

May 5, 2005, 11:13 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] Pioneer SD-P55A5K Dead As A Door Nail [In reply to] Can't Post

MIKEMAIERTV,

The convergence ic's where just replaced back in April 2004. Could they have went bad already?

Then the problem returned so the Sears tech had to come back out, he pulled the power side board out and re soldered everything on the board.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)