Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
RCA 52” Projection set, model P52730CK, Chassis PTK169PCB

martin18152
New User

Jun 11, 2003, 5:26 AM

Post #1 of 1 (4127 views)
Shortcut
RCA 52” Projection set, model P52730CK, Chassis PTK169PCB Can't Post

I have a RCA 52” Projection set, model P52730CK, Chassis PTK169PCB. The set makes a hissing noise, and will occasionally crack or pop, produce and ozone smell. The set will shut down if left on long enough. If it shuts down you will lose the channel settings. I have the back of the set open, and the back of the projection reflector pushed forward so I can see all the CRTs and the high voltage splitter. The HVS is almost impossible to get at. If I could get the front speaker cover off, it would be easier to get to; also CRT circuit plugs would also be easier to pull out. I’m still trying to figure out how to remove the front speaker cover. I cannot see any burn marks in or around the CRTs or HVS or HVT. With the lights off, I cannot see any visible arcing. The hissing seems to be coming from the CRT closest to the HVS, or maybe its internal to the HVS. I have read a lot of posts about disconnecting the HVS main anode, but all that would do is shut down the HVS and the CRTS, and wouldn’t provide information with regard to one of the CRTS being bad. I guess I have two questions, how do you get to that darn HVS, with out taking out all the boards, and can you get the front speaker cover off to work on the set. If I manage to get at the HVS, does it make sense to unplug one CRT at a time and determine which CRT may be bad, and if the hissing doesn’t stop through the process of elimination, pull the main anode of the HVS, and if it stops, it’s a good chance its internal arching of the HVS. I have zero experience with TV repair, but have a working knowledge of electronics, and a bit of analytical equipment, oscilloscope, signal generator, power supplies, etc… I am real good at circuit board repair, and can make circuit boards. If Repair gets out of the simple component replacement realm, I will probably need to order some Sam facts, unless some one knows where I can get good detailed info on this set on line.

Thanks for any help offered.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)