RCA 52" Convergence Issue - Need help!

Searchlight
New User

Apr 20, 2005, 11:20 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2747 views)
Shortcut
RCA 52" Convergence Issue - Need help! Can't Post

Hello,

I have a 52" RCA Model p52921, Chassis ptk195mb.

The problem is that the convergence goes out once the TV is on for a few minutes. Sometimes it can take days, sometimes hours, sometimes just seconds. Turning the TV off, then back on will clear the problem for a few minutes, then in just does it again. Sometimes turning it off then back on repeatedly will fix the problem for a few days and as long as you don't turn it off, the problem doesn't come back.

When this issue occurs, the convergence, especially on the side gets way off and the screen kinda looks like a hour-glass on it's side. Since I am not good at describing it, I have an image. See the following:

http://www.reconstituted.com/1.jpg

I even have video of it doing it. The video shows it going good, then going out. In the video, I shut the TV off and turn it on and you can see that it temporarily solves the issue. Here is a link to the video. If you have broadband, please view it (9MB) since it CLEARLY shows the problem:

http://www.reconstituted.com/TelevisionProblem.avi

Now, some more info in case it matters. When the problem happens, the adjust projection screen menu item disappears, only sometimes. Sometimes it is there, sometimes it is not. If it is there and you try to adjust the TV when the problem is happening, it turns the TV off when you enter the adjustment screen.

Anyways, what is most likely the problem? If you are gonna say power supply, please give me an idea where it is and where I would buy a replacement. I would really like to learn more about these things and I need a little help. I do have a little electronics backgound, just not with TVs. Component identification and location I need help with.

Thanks for reading. Sorry so long.

Tom

zx_600
New User

Apr 29, 2005, 5:47 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Searchlight] RCA 52" Convergence Issue - Need help! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the same problem on my Mitsubishi 65" RPTV. If it is an intermitent problem then you might have some loose solder joints on your convergence board. Open up the back of your TV (unplug first), Look for the board with a giant heat sink (about 8" long by 6" tall. On my tv it was the one in the middle. The left was the tuner and the right was the power supply. Carefully remove the board. Mine was kind of a pain, it had a lot of screws and the heat sink had to be removed. The heat sink is for two giant IC chips, these are the ones that for sure will need to be resoldered. Look carefully with a magnifying glass at the rest of the joints and resolder anything that looks suspicious. Make sure you put some heat transfer grease on those IC chips before putting everything back. While you have the back open clean you three lenses with a good quality glass cleaner. Spray into the paper and then wipe. Put it all back the way you removed it and fire it up. My has worked flawless for three days since doing this. If it is still faulty, you might have to replace the chips but they are not expensive.

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

May 3, 2005, 7:08 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zx_600] RCA 52" Convergence Issue - Need help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well the Mits guy was close on the cold solder joint however your set is totally differant it does not use the STK Ic's insted it uses a ton of transistors but lukly that aint the problem either, take the back off and the board on the right is the convergance board then the board mounted high above it about 3X9 inches big is the power supply for convergance remove this board and resolder the conections on the back, this sould solve your problem
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

Hect7369
User

May 6, 2005, 4:53 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2635 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Searchlight] RCA 52" Convergence Issue - Need help! [In reply to] Can't Post

If look for intermittents in Convergence board,and no results.I usually repair this problem,by replacing IC STK730-130(Convergence power supply).

Good Luck.

Hect

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.23 s on (CGI/1.1)