RCA 52" P52730CK won't turn on, no power led either

lamrex
New User

Jan 27, 2005, 4:15 AM

Post #1 of 4 (4413 views)
Shortcut
RCA 52" P52730CK won't turn on, no power led either Can't Post

Hi everyone,

I received an RCA 52" rear projection tv made in '94 from my parents because it stopped working. It doesn't power on at all, no clicking of the relay nor is the power button LED lit up. It's model number is P52730CK, the Chassis number is PTK169PCB. When I first looked at it (still at their house), I took the back panel off and checked the fuse, the fuse was fine and after about 15 minutes of unplugging it and plugging it back it, it powered up again. The board was humming somewhat loudly when it did work. I got it home the next day and brought it downstairs. When I plugged it in the power would no longer come on again. Not even the power button LED. The only thing I can hear when I plug it in is approx. 10 brief hissing sounds somewhere right by where the power cord plugs in and then it's completely quiet again. I tested the outlet and cable and they both are fine. It almost sounds like a cd rom drive starting to read a disc and then stopping 10 times really quickly. I took the whole chassis out of the box and took the board out that contains the power supply and looked for burnt/broken solder joints. I didn't notice anything that jumped out as being bad. i.e. no bloated/leaking caps or burn marks. I also did the HV Splitter test by unplugging the red lead wire from the High Voltage Transformer. It doesn't look fried or burned and when I try and turn the TV on I get the same thing, no power or even the lit green LED on the power button. I put everything back together and for the heck of it tried it again. To my amazement it powered on again. I shut it off quickly because it wasn't completely put back together. I tried it again and it wouldn't power on again. Same symptoms. I'm thinking it may be the HVT but am not sure. I've have run out of ideas. Any advise/ideas on what my next step would be? I greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,

Josh

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2005, 9:39 PM

Post #2 of 4 (4381 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lamrex] RCA 52" P52730CK won't turn on, no power led either [In reply to] Can't Post

what do you mean "not all together" what was unpluged?
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

lamrex
New User

Feb 6, 2005, 8:04 PM

Post #3 of 4 (4350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] RCA 52" P52730CK won't turn on, no power led either [In reply to] Can't Post

Basically everything was plugged in except the chassis wan't placed back into the tv. I wasn't sure if this was not a good way to run the tv or not so I shut it off.

BTW, Kudos to you. I ended up figuring out the problem because of a previous post by you in someone elses listing. MaierTV (Is that you?) said they always replace capacitors C102 2.2 uf 100v and C104 changed to 22uf 50v and C108 changed to 100uf 100v as a general rule on this chassis model. I replaced those and the set has been working great for over 2 solid weeks.

I have another question now that it's working. I'm getting a pincushion effect on all 4 sides of the screen plus it overscans about an inch all the way around. Is there any settings I can change to correct this or is a component on the board faulty? I greatly appreciate your help and expertise and hope you may have some advise for me as to what my options are.

Thanks,

Lamrex

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2005, 12:50 AM

Post #4 of 4 (4315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lamrex] RCA 52" P52730CK won't turn on, no power led either [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep I Be Maier Tv, what you describe on the last post may be somethig as simple as is the light box (chassis) is the right position?, if that suck was mounted on two litte board that have moved or disapeard the CRT's are now farther from the mirror and that cause wht you describe, check the install first, and the check all the plugs expc, the ones for the front monted convergance board
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)