Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
RCA Home Theater P46720BA - Picture trouble

Lalibela
New User

Oct 4, 2010, 6:09 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1868 views)
Shortcut
RCA Home Theater P46720BA - Picture trouble Can't Post

Hello Tv Forums! So i posted a thread a little while back about imputs. That has all been figured out, but now my TV has been acting up. The picture flashes darker and lighter (usually on a dark scene) and occasionally loses all picture. Im guessing the bulbs are going out. Is it better to replace these or just invest in new tv? keep in mind a limited budget. Thanks for any help!

Repair man
Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2010, 2:50 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lalibela] RCA Home Theater P46720BA - Picture trouble [In reply to] Can't Post

This will not be a problem with the tubes.

See if your set says CTC169 anywhere on a label on the back of the set, if so this may be something as simple as a bad capacitor.

If you or anyone you know has soldering skills the try changing capacitor C141 (that's the part number printed on the board next to the cap)

The value of that cap is 470 uf (micro farads) at 180volts.

The cap will be located near the flyback transformer (between the flyback transformer and the switch mode power supply). If you can't find it let me know. If you can take a picture of the chassis (top view) end email it to me I can point you to the right area.

Pay attention to the direction the cap is in; there is a positive and negative side to it and the negative side will be marked with a stripe.

This capacitor is likely worth about 50 cents and you can likely get one at any electronics repair shop (they will likely want $5 for it). That should fit your budget.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Oct 12, 2010, 2:42 AM)

Lalibela
New User

Oct 11, 2010, 8:12 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1849 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] RCA Home Theater P46720BA - Picture trouble [In reply to] Can't Post

New development on the TV. It now wont turn on. I think it might be wiring (when i muddled with the power cable in the back it made an electrical peep noise and then nothing. Im going to remove the back panel and see if anything is visible. Any suggestions? Also, i could not find any CGC169 you had mentioned. The back panel only has the model no. serial no. and chassis no. I did find the capacitor you were talking about (i think, it was labeled C141p) but i dont know any solderers and it is in a very tight space, as most everything is. If you have any more advice that would be helpful, but im thinking about just finding a TV repair shop. &lt;br&gt; <br>

(This post was edited by Lalibela on Oct 11, 2010, 8:35 PM)

Repair man
Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2010, 3:03 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1838 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lalibela] RCA Home Theater P46720BA - Picture trouble [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry that was a typo it's was supposed to say CTC169 (I hit the wrong key). If you remove the back you will see it on a label on an aluminum heat sink on the chassis, there you should see CTC169 there may be extra letters on the end depending on what features you set has but it will likely be a CTC169 chassis.

This could still be the same problem that has just gotten worse. That same capacitor can cause a set to go dead or intermittent.

You have to slide the chassis out to work on it; desolder it from the bottom an solder a new cap back in.

If you take this to a shop it will be a minimum of $100-$200. They have to charge that to stay in business, I know because teach a lot of other techs on the internet and I also have a shop & I know the overhead costs.

Now that it's a dead set you may want to take it to a shop. If it is a CTC169 you can just pull the light box out instead of taking the whole TV. By that I mean there is a wooden box that all the electronics is in and if you remove 2 small brackets along the back edge of your set you can slide this box out leaving the shell of the TV behind; there will be 2 plugs you have to un-clip that are on top of the box that lead to the speakers and the front buttons. There is handles cut out on both sides of the box to make it easier to carry.

If you remove the back of your set and take a picture of it and email it to me I'll point out the place I'm talking about and email it back. If you take it to a shop they do not need the whole big cabinet they'll just need the box.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)