Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
RCA Projection TV P61926

sunnyguo
New User

Aug 13, 2010, 2:25 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1130 views)
Shortcut
RCA Projection TV P61926 Can't Post

I have a RCA projection TV P61926. I did not watch this TV for 6 months. yesterday when I tried to plug it , the tv have a continued sizzling sound around power supply.I tried to press power button in front of the TV. It wont work and no light. unplug power the sizzling sound gone........ I checked the TV Main board ,I found the H.O.T (Transistor Q401 2sc5148) is totally shorted. Do I need to replace Flyback and H.O.T at same time. or do I need to replace the high volatge spliter???

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 13, 2010, 7:42 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sunnyguo] RCA Projection TV P61926 [In reply to] Can't Post

sunnyguo;.....

Could be either one....HV Splitter OR Flyback....
It would help if we had a chassis # posted....
My suggestion would be to replace the HOT first , (get extras)....
Then with your eyeballs glued to the Splitter , turn on the TV & see if you see any arcing to chassis ground or wisps of smoke in the area....
Be ready to INSTANTLY jerk the AC cord from the wall outlet as SOON as you see arcing or smoke....
You more than likely will blow the new HOT out doing this test...

Another way to do this (Somewhat more sane) would be to disconnect the HV lead that comes from the flyback to the Splitter at the Splitter....
There is a small tab that you gently bend away & pull from the wire at the top where the HV wire goes in to the Splitter...
Dangle the wire as FAR AWAY as possible from ANY metal OR other wiring OR components....
This wire WILL have 30,000 volts on it when you turn on the TV....
It WILL knock you on your @$$ &/or cause dammage to the set.....
After you have the wire SAFELY hanging in space , turn on the TV....
IF it stays on & does NOT blow the HOT , chances are that your Splitter is bad....
If you blow the HOT , chances are that the flyback &/or associated circuitry are involved...

GOOD LUCK....Sly....

Later...Ron.M....Cool.....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)