RCA TV runs but without picture

pabrol
New User

Feb 7, 2005, 1:23 AM

Post #1 of 7 (2900 views)
Shortcut
RCA TV runs but without picture Can't Post

Hi Gurus,
I have a 52 " RCA TV (MODEL - P52927) - It had problems of intermittent shut down - as in, it used to play fine sometimes and other times it used to just not start up, usually giving up after 3 attempts( clicking sounds ). It would fire up the screen would begin to appear and itw ould shut down. SO I started reading and reached the conclusion that it could be a HV splitter problem. Now there are 2 wires ( pink/red in color) at the back next to the power cable - one of which is the IHVT that goes to the HV splitter block and the other one I am not sure where it goes. Anyways, I managed to( foolishly) pull out the other wire from both ends and am holding it in my hand not knowing what to do. Can anyone tell me what I should do next. Where does this wire go to and how do I fix it? Next, how do I solve the problem of intermitten sartup and shutdown( It usually plays for a while before starting to behave badly).
Thanks a ton, and hope to get some directions.

pabrol
New User

Feb 14, 2005, 6:47 AM

Post #2 of 7 (2870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pabrol] RCA TV runs but without picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey anybody has any ideas about this.
Please reply

shadetree
Veteran

Feb 15, 2005, 2:25 AM

Post #3 of 7 (2865 views)
Shortcut

never known a hv splitter to be intermittent they are either good or bad ck for loose soldering connections on main board

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2005, 12:09 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] RCA TV runs but without picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Well if you mean you ripped the high voltage lead out of the Flyback, your right that probley was not the best move, see if it will relock back in or you will have to replace the flyback ( High voltage transformer ) And I agree splitters are a go no-go type thing, but the other most common " simple fix" I covered in how to replace a splitter, will just copy and past the B+ repair here and see how ya do
,,This will be my general “caned answer” for the CTC 169 or in these cases the PTK169 chassis, first of all the “light box” can be removed from the set making it much easer to work on, first remove the back and on top of the box there is a plug where the front panel attaches to, remove that plug unwrapping it from all the holders on top there may also be a place where the speakers plug in up there but in most cases they snake down and plug in to a board right in the audio output board in the back. Then remove all the screws on the bottom back that hold the chassis in, slowly pull the chassis out making sure the wires don’t snag up and break something.
Once the box is out the set gets real easy to work on, you can use the remote control to turn the set on because the IR sender is located right in front of the green CRT.
Then as general rule we change three capacitors in the power supply no matter way the set failed. These caps tend to dry out driving the B+ voltage high, they are located in front of the plug on the right side of the main board and two are located just left of Ic U4401 cap C4104 or as shown on the board as C104 this will be a 15uf at 50 volts change it to a 22uf , 50 volts and then C102 a 2.2 uf at 100 volts finally the big one to the right of the first two C108 a 39uf at 100 we change this to a 100uf ,100volts. In Every 169 we worked on The B+ voltage is always been high because of these caps wearing out, just by changing these three B+ usually returns to normal
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

pabrol
New User

Feb 16, 2005, 3:29 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] RCA TV runs but without picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
Thanks Mike.

There are 2 wires that come out of the flyback. One is attahce to the Hv splitter ( the right one) and the one on the left is one I have pulled out. i pulled it off from the flyback where I can push it in but where does the other end of this wire go. I am not sure. Can you tell me where the other end is attached and how I can attach it.
Thanks
pabrol

mikemaiertv
Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2005, 8:58 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2842 views)
Shortcut

That wire should go to the screen/focus block, find a control with 6 knobs top are screens bottom are focus and somewheree on the back you should find where it plugs in to
Mike Owens Owner Competition TV Spokane WA.

pabrol
New User

Feb 28, 2005, 9:07 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mikemaiertv] RCA TV runs but without picture [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that tip. Putting the wire in place worked. I managed to get the TV on and everything functioned properly but the colors on the TV looked strange. So I checked the CRTs and found that the red one was not working. On looking at the circuit below that CRT I found that one of the flat wire connections(CSA LL83498 AWM IA 105C 300v) was not plugged in. I plugged it in and started the TV- Now the green CRT had no output and on switching on the TV the screen output had horizontal lines red in color.So I again unplugged the flat wire for red CRT and tried - The colors seem all off. I tried using the RGB centering using the menu but the colors still seem off. Any solutions for this one.
TIA
PAbrol

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.17 s on (CGI/1.1)