Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Red is now upper and lower curves

Johnny K
New User

Mar 7, 2005, 3:06 PM

Post #1 of 3 (4294 views)
Shortcut
Red is now upper and lower curves Can't Post

I have a Hitachi 50UX58B (about 7 years old) and the blue and green are fine, but last night the red appeared messed up, as a upward curve on the upper left side of the screen and a dowward curve on the lower left of the screen. I've read about replacing stk392-110s (or even using stk392-150 for better heat handling..) and possible fuse issues and even just a soldier coming loose.. Any clue what this is??.. I'm mechanically inclined and my brother is extremely electronically inclined, so no issues in pulling the cover and doing some testing. Thanks!! John Cleveland, OH johnk@nls.net

Johnny K
New User

Mar 9, 2005, 3:02 PM

Post #2 of 3 (4275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Johnny K] Red is now upper and lower curves [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a follow up to my problem:

First there's this thread that I contacted a couple people in regards to their problems: http://www.tv-forums.com/..._help,_please_P6790/

I emailed Carl and he stated: "John: It turned out that my set is a 50UX58K (not a "B"), so I don't know how much diff. there is between the sets. A few postings down in that same thread there's one from Carl; that's also me, and I explain how I fixed my set. Go to the site http://www.electronix.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=STK392-110 and see what these parts look like. When you open the back of the set these two parts (they're each about two inches long) will be attached to a large aluminum heatsink which should be standing up in the near right corner of the circuit board. These parts run real hot so if you have convergence problems there's a good chance that that's the problem. And for about 10 bucks it's worth a shot! My set has been working fine since the fix (knock on wood!). Let me know how it goes, or post to the site. Good luck Carl" I then asked about if he had the curved issues that I was having and he replied: John: I don't know if my colors were "curved" or not, but the three colors would not register at the same spot on the screen; it seemed that the red and blue were shifted to the right or left( I can't remember which). and when I would run magic focus it would seem to get comfused because it knew that the colors wern't in the right spots but it couldn't move them because these parts were burnt out. It could never finish the whole magic focus process. Carl

With that said, I spoke with my "electronically gifted" brother and he pointed me to a supplier that is local and he knew I'd get parts in a day. This at http://mcm.newark.com/...=4&Ntk=gensearch In addition, I read on the earlier thread that someone had a bad resistor (RK46) so I did some search on the web to find that the resistors on a different model (but close) for Hitachi were: Red Horizontally: RK58 3.9 ohm Red Vertically: RK62 2.2 ohm Blue Vertically: RK54 1.5 ohm Blue Horizontally: RK50 2.7 ohm Green Vertically: RK46 1.8 ohm Green Horizontally: RK42 3.3 ohm I also read that they should be 1 Watt and Flameproof I couldn't find all the resistors on the mcm.newark.com site, so I ended up going to www.partsexpress.com, since I knew they were in Ohio and would have parts to me in a day.. If you get them, be sure they are 3.9 ohm and NOT 3.9K (note the k), etc. They had most of them, but in 2 cases, I had to order a 1.5 and a 1.2 to get to 2.7 ohms.. they come in bags of 10 for $.69 so I'll have plenty.. Now that I have parts on the way, I took the TV apart yesterday. the board comes out after removing 3 screws that attach it to the wood and about 20 connectors.. I took lots of digital pictures to make sure I put the connectors back together the way I found them.. I haven't gotten the board out yet as the ter are 3 lardge red wires and a smaller red wire that I need to check with someone to verify they aren't charged and won't hurt me to the TV.. (do I need to discharge somehow...?). Once those are off, the board will come off. Lastly, the RK46 resistor (for green, hmmm my prob is with red..) does look much lighter that the other resistors that are light blue, the colors on the resistor look lighter and where it connects to the board appears brownish.. so it's possible that my problem is the same as the guy on the other thread.. RK46 fried and messed up the STK392-110's.. So tonight or tomorrow my brother will take care of the parts install and checking of the other resistors.. I'll keep you posted.. sorry for the long posting, but hope it helps someone else. Also need to find out if it's safe and what to use to clean the dust off the gun lenses.. mirror looks spotless, but can't hurt to clean it and behind the screen.. any suggestions? Thanks, Johnny K

Johnny K
New User

Mar 10, 2005, 2:47 PM

Post #3 of 3 (4258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Johnny K] Red is now upper and lower curves [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the fix update:

Replaced 2 STK392-110's, the RK46 Resistor that was fried (2.2 ohm) and ran Magic Focus and all fixed!!

Life is good.

Take care,

Johnny K

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)