Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Sony 57ws500 Green Screen with horizontal lines

kronos
New User

Dec 14, 2004, 1:20 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2535 views)
Shortcut
Sony 57ws500 Green Screen with horizontal lines Can't Post

I get a green screen with horizontal lines going across screen. It gets brighter, and after about 5-10 seconds the TV goes into standby mode and the standby button flashes 8 times. Can anyone tell me if there is an easy fix for this, and where I may obtain a service manual for this? I read the problem with the 51ws400 and the blue horizontal lines which I had at one time, but I fixed, and would hope someone could help me with this new problem. Thanx!

Huskerman99
New User

Dec 14, 2004, 8:05 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kronos] Sony 57ws500 Green Screen with horizontal lines [In reply to] Can't Post

The screen voltage should be adjusted first, the same way you adjusted the blue, except obviously this time you would adjust the center knob for green. left is less, and to the right is maximum.

I had the same problem on my Sony with the red gun. Adjusting the screen did not solve my problem, and I took the tube in to class (I was in TV servicing class at the time this hapened) and used a rejuvanator on the tube. The rejuvanaor does a few things, first it will tell you if the tube or anything inside it is bad (shorted) But more importantly most of them will do a stress test on the tube, this tells you how long of a life expectancy is left on the tube. Rejuve sends massive voltage through the tube and burns off any shorts that may exist. In my case, the tube failed the stress test, and the rejuvanated tube only lasted another week and went back to the same old horizontal lines (called retrace lines). I just went ahead and replaced the tube with new one. (corrected it) FYI my tube had alot of shorts before rejuve.

Another factor could be the video amp/driver failing or overdriving, which I believe is on the kine socket, but I forget. Also could be the tube itself.

If I were you, and if you don't live out in the boonies, call your local community college and see if they have a TV repair/electronic servicing class that you could take it in to. I know ours only charged $3.75 and rarely ran much of anything over cost of parts. Our class wasn't offered every quarter, so you may end up waiting a while. Just a thought. All they would need is the tube and they would surely have a rejuvanator to test it.
DJ
A.A.S. Electronic Servicing
Working on BA in Electrical Engineering.

chuck baker
New User

Dec 18, 2004, 12:26 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kronos] Sony 57ws500 Green Screen with horizontal lines [In reply to] Can't Post

this set should have warranty on the picture tube which seems to be the problem. they have two years warranty. if over one year you would have to pay labor.
chuck

kronos
New User

Dec 18, 2004, 1:36 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2514 views)
Shortcut
Re: Sony 57ws500 Green Screen with horizontal lines [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanx for the responses. I purchased an extended warranty with the TV when I bought it in 2002 so they're coming to look @ it. I was just wondering if there was something I could do in the meanwhile, because they won't be here til Dec. 29. Unimpressed I ended up putting another TV in the living room til then... A 27" what difference Unsure Oh well gotta live with it, thanx again for the replies.

kronos
New User

Dec 31, 2004, 6:27 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2491 views)
Shortcut

They just took the TV today, should have it back in 7-10 days. It ended up being the green tube was bad. It'll be about a month in total without it, I'm lucky to have made it this long. Wink

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)