Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Sony DLP with blue blotches

board repair
New User

Mar 20, 2010, 5:47 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2887 views)
Shortcut
Sony DLP with blue blotches Can't Post

I have a sony DLP KDF42WE655 that had the blue blotches in the picture . I took apart the light engine to get to the three lens . I removed the lens cartridge that had the three colors on it and it had alot of dust on it . My big mistake was removing each individual one to clean them . When i put it back together the blue blotches were gone , but the colors now were not lined up . After countless times of trying to align them manually i could not get it ( very sensitive ) . Is there a way to align the colors in the service menu like you would do on the rear projection sets ? I have the service manual that i downloaded from Techlore . Didn't know if anyone has seen this procedure . Thanks , James

shadetree
Veteran

Mar 23, 2010, 3:33 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2859 views)
Shortcut
Re: [board repair] Sony DLP with blue blotches [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a class action law suit on these sonys with blue blobs punch in sony blue blob on goggle for info sony was repairing or replaceing them but I think the time may have run out

board repair
New User

Mar 23, 2010, 3:52 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2857 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Sony DLP with blue blotches [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes that lawsuit ended in December 2008 . I have heard they are trying to reopen it but according to the attorney's above are shop that would be hard to do since they already have settled it . He did say a attorney will try anything if you pay him enough . People were complaining they never heard of the lawsuit . That is why i've allways told customers of mine to send in the warranty card or register there product online with the manufacture for just this reason . Everybody is affraid of getting junk mail . Anywhy just wish i would have just cleaned the dust out rather than removing the three color displays individually . I'd be selling the TV by now !

shadetree
Veteran

Mar 23, 2010, 6:17 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [board repair] Sony DLP with blue blotches [In reply to] Can't Post

someone said when they called the sony 1-800 line they were offered a new sony at a greatly reduced price one said they offered him a 40in lcd for $225 might be worth a call

board repair
New User

Mar 23, 2010, 7:36 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Sony DLP with blue blotches [In reply to] Can't Post

How long ago did they do this ? The customer gave me this set as they did not want to go with a rebuilt light engine and sony offered them nothing . Rather than me sending it in , i decided to take it apart and see where these blotches were affecting the picture . Next time i think i won't quote customer a rebuilt engine as this was not hard to do and could be fixed with no parts . I just won't take the three lens off the frame indivdually . Would only take about 45 minutes to fix . I don't know why Sony just didn't not have there techs take care of the issue . One of the Fans gets clogged with dust and blows dust particals that stick on the lens causing the blotches . Clean the fan and the lens and your done . I was told by a Sony tech you can't take the light engine apart unless your in a dust free room and wear the mask and gloves ! I just stupidly took the frames off individually to clean better and now the picture looks like its in 3D . But no more blotches ! Let me know if you know when they did this . Thanks for the info , James

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)