Sony Videoscope KP-53S55 no picture, but has sound

Nagamitsu
New User

Jan 10, 2011, 3:36 PM

Post #1 of 22 (5061 views)
Shortcut
Sony Videoscope KP-53S55 no picture, but has sound Can't Post

Hi all,
I'm seeking advice on what possibly needs replaced in this unit. From my research, I feel that it may be either the flyback transformer (possibly no high voltage?) but I can't test for high voltage. Or the vertical IC?
Symptoms: TV powers on. Standby/timer light a continuous flashing red (no intervals, pauses, no code). There is sound. I can see some light coming from the three guns, but quite dim. In the dark, on the screen, I can see there is a very faint bit of display (just light) on the top of the screen, that's it.
Was thinking maybe no high voltage, meaning the guns are getting power, but not enough? Vertical IC needing replaced, may produce same symptoms?
Thanks in advance!
Tim

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 10, 2011, 6:44 PM

Post #2 of 22 (5059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nagamitsu] Sony Videoscope KP-53S55 no picture, but has sound [In reply to] Can't Post

High voltage is necessary for tubes to produce ANY light.
If all of the display you see is ONLY at top, vertical might be involved. Or jungle IC. Or possibly convergence?

-------------------------

Nagamitsu
New User

Jan 10, 2011, 7:00 PM

Post #3 of 22 (5052 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony Videoscope KP-53S55 no picture, but has sound [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!!
Ok, since there is some light, most likely should be high voltage then. Vertical IC was my next thought of course. I don't mind replacing a couple parts, I could try the vertical IC and jungle IC.
The D board, convergence board, will be difficult to source I think. I think I can get vertical IC and possibly jungle IC, have not found convergence board in my searches yet.
Tim

Nagamitsu
New User

Jan 16, 2011, 8:59 PM

Post #4 of 22 (5039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nagamitsu] Sony Videoscope KP-53S55 no picture, but has sound [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, here's my convergence board. I am (at the moment) assuming the vertical IC is one/both of the heatsinked components on the far right. STK4278 part number. Looks like they've been possibly replaced at some point, someone smeared heatsink grease fingerprints on them. Or, now I'm thinking these are convergence ICs? Vertical IC is on the convergence board or the power supply board? There are three other components on the convergence board marked as "IC" though.

Tim

(This post was edited by Nagamitsu on Jan 18, 2011, 12:48 AM)

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 16, 2011, 10:08 PM

Post #5 of 22 (5035 views)
Shortcut

STKs are convergence ICs.

Three on the left are vertical.

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jan 16, 2011, 10:09 PM)

Nagamitsu
New User

Jan 16, 2011, 10:12 PM

Post #6 of 22 (5033 views)
Shortcut

Ok, got the service manual. There is an A board, that appears to have a jungle IC in it, and an E1 board that plugs into the A board, also with jungle IC (or is Y/C jungle). Main issue, I'm trying to figure out where vertical IC or jungle IC is, it is not exactly marked clearly in the schematics.
Tim

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 16, 2011, 10:27 PM

Post #7 of 22 (5031 views)
Shortcut

D board just below convergence ICs.

Nagamitsu
New User

Jan 16, 2011, 10:43 PM

Post #8 of 22 (5028 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony Videoscope KP-53S55 no picture, but has sound [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!!! Those are IC1701, 1702, 1703
Marked in schematic as R.SUB-AMP, G SUB-AMP, B SUB-AMP respectively. So that's Red, Green, Blue sub-amp.
I see IC1706, 1707, 1708 on far left side of D board that are attached to heatsinks, in schematic as VR-OUT, VG-OUT, VB-OUT.
So you are saying the sub-amp 1701, 02, 03 next to the convergence ICs should be the vertical. Easy enough for me to replace or re-solder at least. Phew. (except if I need to look into the jungle IC, which I'm hoping is on the E1 board that plugs into the A board, but I'm assuming that due to reference to "jungle" in the schematic)
Tim

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 16, 2011, 11:56 PM

Post #9 of 22 (5014 views)
Shortcut

Vertical outputs:

I see IC1706, 1707, 1708 on far left side of D board that are attached to heatsinks, in schematic as VR-OUT, VG-OUT, VB-OUT.

Ron.M
Veteran

Jan 17, 2011, 12:47 AM

Post #10 of 22 (5010 views)
Shortcut

jts1957;.....

IF memory serves , IC1706, 1707, & 1708 would be the red convergence output IC, green convergence output IC & blue convergence output ICs & not necessarily in that order....Correct ?????
And NOT for vertical deflection ....Correct ????
Since (Again , IF memory serves) the vertical windings are connected in series , then another IC would be the "Vertical Output IC".....Correct ????
Since I do NOT have the manual for that set , I & he are relying on your expertise....
jts1957 , THANKS....Wink...

Later....Ron.M....Cool....
Veteran & Retired TV technician

jts1957
Veteran

Jan 17, 2011, 1:33 AM

Post #11 of 22 (5008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Sony Videoscope KP-53S55 no picture, but has sound [In reply to] Can't Post

CYM

You tell me?

Nagamitsu
New User

Jan 17, 2011, 1:58 AM

Post #12 of 22 (5002 views)
Shortcut

Here's D board with the particular ICs in question showing.

Tim

(This post was edited by Nagamitsu on Jan 18, 2011, 12:47 AM)

Nagamitsu
New User

Jan 17, 2011, 2:39 AM

Post #13 of 22 (4995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] Sony Videoscope KP-53S55 no picture, but has sound [In reply to] Can't Post

I am starting to think it's not vertical IC, covergence. I found (Sony related) some info about the continuous blink on the timer light:
  • Continuous blink once a second, no pausing - No reply from the jungle IC301 (data bus is busy, shorted to ground, or held high), IK video path is defective.

• Info I find about vertical IC, I should typically see a line in the screen. (I have black screen, with maybe the faintest of a bit of light at the top, barely see it with my eyes)
    So jungle IC, IK?

Tim

jts1957
    Veteran

Jan 17, 2011, 2:55 AM

Post #14 of 22 (4992 views)
    Shortcut

If you reread this thread you are the one who mentioned: "Was thinking maybe no high voltage, meaning the guns are getting power, but not enough? Vertical IC needing replaced, may produce same symptoms?" and I've been shooting each one down.

O.K.
    This set has no self-diagnosis. This set has the service menu button on the back panel.

Nagamitsu
    New User

Jan 17, 2011, 4:02 AM

Post #15 of 22 (4986 views)
    Shortcut

I do greatly appreciate your input/guidance. I'm not a TV repair guy, but I can find my way through electronics and replace components. I'm just finding in my searches, a few possibilities to what is producing the symptoms, and trying to pinpoint it down.
    Jungle IC is on the E1 board, IC301 chip. E1 board looks like it should just pull from the A board, but seems permanent. I don't mind replacing several things to resolve it, if that means replacing the vertical ICs (which I'm only assuming are IC1701, 02, 03) and the IC301 jungle on E1.
    Tim

jts1957
    Veteran

Jan 17, 2011, 5:00 AM

Post #16 of 22 (4981 views)
    Shortcut

You say your set has sound and "there is a very faint bit of display (just light) on the top of the screen."

Let's try this: Locate the focus/screen control assembly. MARK each control in such a way that it can be returned to its starting position, if desired. Now pick one and slowly rotate it clockwise (increase) while observing the TV screen/CRTs. What, if anything, happens?

Nagamitsu
    New User

Jan 17, 2011, 9:52 PM

Post #17 of 22 (4968 views)
    Shortcut

In Reply To
    You say your set has sound and "there is a very faint bit of display (just light) on the top of the screen."

Let's try this: Locate the focus/screen control assembly. MARK each control in such a way that it can be returned to its starting position, if desired. Now pick one and slowly rotate it clockwise (increase) while observing the TV screen/CRTs. What, if anything, happens?

For most part kept Red adjustment where it was, increased green and blue about an eighth of a turn, and I have picture now. Although a lot of "flipping" of lines in the screen, wavy basically. And not too clear.
    Tim

jts1957
    Veteran

Jan 17, 2011, 10:43 PM

Post #18 of 22 (4967 views)
    Shortcut

Does picture contain video?
    Does picture fill screen? or just "there is a very faint bit of display (just light) on the top of the screen."?

Nagamitsu
    New User

Jan 17, 2011, 11:17 PM

Post #19 of 22 (4964 views)
    Shortcut

Sorry. Yes, full picture, and picture quality is not too bad. Initially I was reporting the above while viewing static, so I hooked up cable, picture quality is pretty decent. A lot of curved thin lines through the picture from top to bottom.
    Tim

jts1957
    Veteran

Jan 17, 2011, 11:29 PM

Post #20 of 22 (4963 views)
    Shortcut

Screen controls too high?

Nagamitsu
    New User

Jan 18, 2011, 12:53 AM

Post #21 of 22 (4958 views)
    Shortcut

You are a genious! Well, you helped me fix this TV, that's for sure. So, I had turned up the adjustments on the focal block, there was a bit of a pop/crackle when the image started displaying more properly. I realize the lines I'm seeing are retrace lines. I backed off R, G, B to point where the lines disappear. This basically put the knobs back to their original position from before I had adjusted them. I have picture, and no lines now. Weird that it fixed it and is now ok?
    A couple after pics. May look red/orange, due to what's displayed and my camera being used with no flash. My son had immediately popped onto Sega to test out the TV. Thanks for your help, and if you ever need any assistance with computers, I can answer questions as such. Now I wonder if I should bother fixing the channel issue on my 50" Hitachi. Laugh
    Tim

jts1957
    Veteran

Jan 18, 2011, 2:01 AM

Post #22 of 22 (4955 views)
    Shortcut

You're welcome. Enjoy the set.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)