F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Starbucks to close all its stores for one day of ‘racial bias training'

yanlin
New User

Apr 18, 2018, 2:54 AM

Post #1 of 1 (2106 views)
Shortcut
Starbucks to close all its stores for one day of ‘racial bias training' Can't Post

Starbucks announced Tuesday that it will close all its U.S. stores for one day next month so staffers can take "racial-bias education" classes, as the java giant continues to face backlash over a racially-charged incident at a Philadelphia location. Nearly 175,000 employees from more than 8,000 Starbucks across the country will take the anti-discrimination classes on May 29, CEO Kevin Johnson said. Discount Marlboro Gold Cigarettes fast delivery The announcement comes in the wake of an incident at a Philadelphia Starbucks in which two black men were arrested after trying to use the bathroom. “I’ve spent the last few days in Philadelphia with my leadership team listening to the community, learning what we did wrong and the steps we need to take to fix it," Johnson said in a statement. "Closing our stores for racial bias training is just one step in a journey that requires dedication from every level of our company and partnerships in our local communities.” Discount Marlboro Red Cigarettes hot sale Starbucks to close all stores for ‘racial bias training' Protesters have descended on the Starbucks in downtown Philadelphia since cops cuffed two African-American men there after a manager called 911 when they tried to use the bathroom last Thursday. The female manager told a dispatcher that there were "two gentlemen" at the coffee shop who were "refusing to make a purchase or leave," according to a recording of the 911 call released by police. The unnamed manager has since been placed on leave, a Starbucks representative told the Daily News Monday. An African-American woman who manages a Starbucks on the Upper West Side said she was stunned by the Philly incident. Discount Newport 100s Cigarettes Free Shipping Starbucks employee denies black man access to restroom "Our store is not like that," the manager, who declined to give her name, told The News. "Our city is not like that. New York is a melting pot." Sana Gaspard, a Pittsburgh woman sipping a latte at the Upper West Side location Tuesday afternoon, said the anti-discrimination classes are "a great idea." "I was upset and disgusted by how they treated those two gentlemen," Gaspard, 36, said. "My goal was to never give Starbucks another dollar. I've tried avoiding them. But they're the only one with wifi." Johnson said the May 29 classes will focus on how to promote inclusion and prevent implicit biases. "While this is not limited to Starbucks, we’re committed to being a part of the solution," he said. The Thursday arrest was caught on video, and the Seattle-based coffee company's previous apologies have done little to calm the protesters. "Starbucks coffee is anti-black," about two dozen protesters chanted as they crowded into the Philly location Monday morning.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)