Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
WIERD PROBLEM

afterburner1
New User

Apr 9, 2009, 3:52 PM

Post #1 of 6 (1608 views)
Shortcut
WIERD PROBLEM Can't Post

OLDER TV, ANY OF HITACHI MODEL: CU 5001, CU5002, CU5003, AND CU4601 has developed the following problem:
The symptoms are: When the set, CU 5001, is turned on, the screen remains black for about two minutes or longer. It then developes an incomplete picture on the top of the screen that slowly, and in perfect sync, travels down the screen until the screen is completely filled. It is similar to somebody slowly drawing a shade down the screen that has a picture on it. During the period of a black screen there is sound. The TV will then continue to function perfectly for hours.

I know the TV will eventually fail, and would like to effect a repair before there is a total failure. Would appreciate some hand-holding on identification of the board and component, if possible.
Thanks
Afterburner

techchris
Veteran

Apr 10, 2009, 11:51 AM

Post #2 of 6 (1601 views)
Shortcut
Re: [afterburner1] WIERD PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

try changing all the electrolytic capacitors around the vertical scan ic and also resolder all pins on the ic as well

afterburner1
New User

Apr 12, 2009, 12:38 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1591 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] WIERD PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Chris; will breakout the old soldering weapon. I know the electrolitic caps dry up over the years. I just really like this set and want to keep it going! Thanks again
Afterburner

Thriftywife
New User

Feb 8, 2010, 2:37 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [afterburner1] WIERD PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a similar problem. I have a Hitachi rear projection TV model 46EX2K, Nov '92.
We had a freeze in our area, ever since then, the picture has that window shade effect, except mine "rolls up" half way turning to a black screen from the bottom. The top half is just fine.

Me being the walking disaster that I am, decided to take the back cover off and get out my blow dryer. I found when looking into the rear of the TV, in the lower left corner, there is a gold rectangular "box" with a whole lot of too many wires coming out. When I heat that "gold box" up, the "screen" immediately rolls back down to a perfect picture. Unfortunantely, it wont stay. As soon as it cools, maybe 1-2 minutes max, the screen "rolls back up" to black.

Does anyone know what kind of repair I'm looking at and an approximate cost?
Thank you in advance.

robertlanham79
New User

Apr 10, 2010, 8:18 PM

Post #5 of 6 (1325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Thriftywife] WIERD PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

i hope that by me responding this post will be put back at the top of the forum and MAYBE some one will reply something helpful[;)

Thriftywife
New User

Jun 22, 2010, 11:21 PM

Post #6 of 6 (1242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robertlanham79] WIERD PROBLEM [In reply to] Can't Post

Thought I'd update. Never figured out solution to this, so bought a new one. Put this out on curb (with remote and manual) and someone took it. Hope you had better luck After and Robert. Wink

(This post was edited by Thriftywife on Jun 22, 2010, 11:22 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.15 s on (CGI/1.1)