Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Zenith E44W46LCD Audio Problem

johnfrank
New User

Dec 29, 2004, 1:00 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3430 views)
Shortcut
Zenith E44W46LCD Audio Problem Can't Post

I have seen several posts on this forum concerning Zenith E44W46LCD variable audio out sound level problems. The responses do not make it clear to me if the condition is normal or requires fixing. I will attempt to describe my experience as follows:

I have a problem with the Variable Audio Output connection on the Zenith E44W46LCD TV. I want to use it to connect to my stereo amplifier to improve the quality of sound when viewing DVDs, CDs, VCR tapes, as well as TV. I realize that the intention of this connection is to allow control of the stereo amplifier audio using the TV volume control on the TV remote control. I have the TV Variable Audio Output connected to the Video input on my stereo amplifier (The other input is PHONO and is too sensitive).

#1 The problem is that I have to crank the volume of my stereo amplifier up to maximum or near-maximum in order to have sufficient sound come out of the speakers. I input to the video connectors on the stereo. The volume setting on the stereo has to be at so high a level that if I switch between modes on my stereo amplifier (from video to either co or tuner) I fear I will damage my speakers because the level is too high for the tuner or co. Conversely, if I want to set the volume level on my stereo amplifier at a comfortable level, then I need to turn of the TV speakers from the menu and crank up the TV volume to get sufficient output to the stereo. If I turn the TV speakers back on at this level, the load to the TV speakers is dangerously high.

Question: Is this condition normal?

#2 When I set the TV Audio Speaker menu settings to "Center", nothing can be heard from either the TV or audio out speakers.

Question: What should I expect to hear when the setting is set to "Center"?

I would appreciate any comments on your experience with audio and center speaker conrol on this TV as I am trying to decide whether to exchange it, have it serviced or return it and shop for another HDTV. I really like everything about the E44W46LCD and would prefer to stick with it if I can.

Av8torjim
New User

Jan 6, 2005, 5:38 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johnfrank] Zenith E44W46LCD Audio Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Johnfrank,

You're TV is fine. It's a great set. I bought one before Christmas because it was the only RP HD television that would fit the $3,000 entertainment center my wife insisted had to hide all equipment when necessary.

As for the variable output, there are two solutions. One is to turn up the volume of the TV itself. You'll need to go into the setup menu and turn off the TV's internal speakers so you don't get the TV's speakers competing with the external stereo speakers. The other option is to use the audio jacks below the Monitor Out (not the variable audio outputs. These are slightly above and to the right of the Variable Audio Out jacks). I believe that these are fixed outputs and should provide sufficient signal to the receiver to provide you with ample volume.

The center speaker setting is for using the internal speakers in the TV as the center speaker in a home theater setup. The TV won't drive the speakers when this setting is used. You hook the center channel preamp output from the receiver to the Audio Center Mode In input on the back of the TV. I don't recommend using the TV's speakers this way unless you don't have a center channel speaker. Even then, if you have good front channel speakers, try the receivers "phantom" mode to see how it compares. IMHO, the audio quality of the Zenith is its weakest feature.

Good luck!

Jim

johnfrank
New User

Jan 6, 2005, 7:17 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Av8torjim] Zenith E44W46LCD Audio Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Av8torjim,

Concerning the variable output problem - Although I had previously tried the audio jacks below the Monitor Out (not the variable audio outputs), I tried them again as per your suggestion. The results are completely satisfactory. I now control only the TV using the TV remote volume control, and use the stereo remote to control the more-rich stereo sound. This is preferable for me because, for casual TV viewing, I don't need the extra sound quality the stereo provides. Additionally, I can use the TV volume as a center fill without affecting the stereo volume.

Concerning the center speaker setting on the TV speaker menu - I don't have a home theatre system or other equipment that would use a center channel, so I will ignore this setting for the time being.

Thanks for your help. And I agree, the Zenith E44W46LCD is a great set.

johnfrank

johnfrank
New User

Jan 8, 2005, 9:09 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Av8torjim] Zenith E44W46LCD Audio Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Av8torjim,

Correction to my last post concerning the variable output problem - Using the audio jacks below the Monitor Out is not satisfactory after all, because only sound from TV, Video 1 and Video 2 are output. Component 1, Component 2, etc. (including DVD player and Cable Box) are not output through Monitor Out. Page 17 of the manual confirms this.

johnfrank

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)