Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
Zenith E44W46LCD

spdj
New User

Jan 13, 2005, 3:33 AM

Post #1 of 2 (2803 views)
Shortcut
Zenith E44W46LCD Can't Post

Purchased my Zenith E44W46LCD from Best Buy last week, and so far, I’m having a tough time with it. This is my third set I bought there. I started with the Panasonic 50” LCD but returned it due to the fact it was too big for my room and I was too close so the picture looked like crap. Then I went with the Toshiba 46” CRT but returned that because I couldn’t hook up my computer to it. Now I’m back to RPLCD.

What’s troubling me right now is that the set looked very comparable to the others in the store with a somewhat HD signal on it, with the exception of the SDE (screen door effect). Once I got it home that changed quite a bit. I don’t have HD and I have Dish Network. I did notice however, that having it hooked up to my Sony prog scan DVD player it looks pretty good, especially on a digital movie like Star Wars Ep II. It also looked pretty good on my Xbox with HD component on that. Now here’s what I don’t get….

Prog scan DVD only outputs 480p and my Dish is outputting 480i, so how do the pictures look so different. I have the Dish hooked up to the TV using Monster S-video, and it looks just as bad as RCA cables. The DVD is hooked up with AR component cables.

The other issue I have which I’ve heard about is the overall green hue of the picture. Now I can only see this when I’m watching SD on my Dish, don’t see it on Xbox or DVD. Also the complete lack of black levels. Again, this is only noticeable on the Dish. I’m having DISH come out this weekend to inspect the system, but I called Zenith tech support and they said that even if you’re watching SD on the set it shouldn’t be grainy or pixilated or blotchy which is what my picture looks like now.

I’m really in a bad spot right now. I can’t really afford to spend anymore on another TV. The only 2 I would remotely consider are the Sony 42” and the Samsung 46” but the reason I would like to keep the Zenith is that it gives me the ability to do PC P-I-P and PC split screen. Which you can’t do on any other TV in that price range.

Is anyone else having these issues and if so what did you do to solve them?

travis33
New User

Jan 14, 2005, 2:21 PM

Post #2 of 2 (2784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [spdj] Zenith E44W46LCD [In reply to] Can't Post

They look different becuse one is using 480p and the other 480i (worse). An s-video connection is not nearly as good as component connectons. Get component if your STB will support it (DVI is even better). Better yet, GET AN HD FEED! I only have about 10 HD channels, and I watch them about 99% of the time. The difference is amazing.

The green hue your getting is inherent in this set. One way to reduce it is to turn the brightness down (mine's at 73 for cable and in the 50's for DVD). This, of coarse, will reduce your black level definition, but at least it won't be green.

Good Luck.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)