Free Games TV Forums

Main Index FORUM
HOME
Search Posts SEARCH
IN
Rules & FAQ RULES
F.A.Q.

Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
philips 50pl9220d/37 TV has picture issues, need help!

blondebandit
New User

Jul 12, 2013, 3:01 PM

Post #1 of 10 (5388 views)
Shortcut
philips 50pl9220d/37 TV has picture issues, need help! Can't Post

Hi y'all!

I appreciate any help in advance from you generous experts out there sharing your knowledge. I have this philips 50pl9220d/37 TV that I got from someone for cheap and I am worried that the repairs for it may be more expensive than I anticipated so give me the brutal honest truth please:

When I first turn on the TV, the picture and color is fine for the most part but as a few minutes pass, the quality of the color and images on the TV get worse and the picture begins to flicker. I was guessing that the lamp needs to be replaced but then I was thinking that if that was the case then the TV just wouldn't turn on. The previous owner said the light came on for the lamp to be replaced, but I have not noticed any such light.

Thank you all very much, for any help!

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 13, 2013, 10:08 PM

Post #2 of 10 (5366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blondebandit] philips 50pl9220d/37 TV has picture issues, need help! [In reply to] Can't Post

blondebandit;.....

Go here;=>....
http://www.retrevo.com/...ual/id/633ag422/t/2/
Click on user manual #1....
Scroll down & enter captcha number...
Download manual ..(5.08 MBs)...
Go to manual page 6 , pdf page 14...
Lamp indicator is to the left of Power/Standby Button...
It may/may not be lit....
Different symptoms for bad lamps include your problem , & no pix , just has sound &/or set will not turn on , etc...

I suspect you have a bad lamp...
My suggestion would be to get a "NEW" Philips replacement (NOT A CHEAP GENERIC , they almost always cause problems) , from a reputable parts supplier....
Ask them about a refund policy in the event the lamp does not fix the TV before you buy it...
Most reputable dealers will give a refund in the event the lamp does not fix the TV....
I found one , see below....

It's easy to change the lamp...
You just need to use care in handling the new lamp...
Get the complete lamp assembly with the housing & NOT just the lamp by itself...
IF you think you can replace the lamp without touching the face of it , I found a lamp for $75.95...

This is the lamp ONLY...
PHILIPS DLP BULB
100% ORIGINAL REPLACEMENT
NOT A GENERIC KNOCK OFF
For;=>...
50PL9220D/37

Let us know....

Good Luck.....Sly.....

Later...Ron.M....Cool..
Veteran & Retired TV technician

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Jul 14, 2013, 11:50 PM)

blondebandit
New User

Jul 14, 2013, 8:59 PM

Post #3 of 10 (5353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] philips 50pl9220d/37 TV has picture issues, need help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, thank you very much i could not open the link to the manual and find it that would be very helpful to take a look at. Also, where did you find that replacement lamp?

Thank you

-also I have been reading alot about light engines or color wheel problems do you suspect it could be one of those things?

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 15, 2013, 12:10 AM

Post #4 of 10 (5347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blondebandit] philips 50pl9220d/37 TV has picture issues, need help! [In reply to] Can't Post

blondebandit;....

I just checked the link & it IS working , albeit , the manual DISAPPEARED !!!!....
Try this new link for the User Guide;=>...
http://www.retrevo.com/...ual/id/633ag422/t/2/
Scroll down past "Specifications" to "User Guide" & download that one...
It will be a 5.09 MB file....

-also I have been reading alot about light engines or color wheel problems do you suspect it could be one of those things?

I'm not that familiar with light engine or color wheel problems , so IF it's one of those , you'll have to wait for one of our more experienced techs to happen along & try to help you....

But , from what you said initially;=>...

When I first turn on the TV, the picture and color is fine for the most part but as a few minutes pass, the quality of the color and images on the TV get worse and the picture begins to flicker. I was guessing that the lamp needs to be replaced but then I was thinking that if that was the case then the TV just wouldn't turn on. The previous owner said the light came on for the lamp to be replaced, but I have not noticed any such light.

That IMHO does not sound like a " light engine or color wheel problem"....

Just for drill , look to the left of the Power on button on the front of the TV.....
Turn the TV on & wait & see if a LED lights up to the left of the Power on button...
Please post results.....THANKS....Sly...

The lamp is here;=>.....
http://www.ebay.com/...61a70cb#ht_991wt_884

That is eBay....
The seller has a verrry high rating (98.7%) which is excellent...
The seller is located in Miami , Fla & NOT China or Hong Kong , a VERRRY big plus !!!
The seller is giving you a 14 day warranty , which is plenty of time to try the lamp & if it does not fix the TV , you can send it back for a FULL refund...
You will need a PayPal account which is FREE & EASY to open up..
PayPal also guarantees your money in the event you have a problem with the seller ...

I highly recommend both this seller & PayPal.....

I would love to know how you make out ....
So , if you order the lamp & install it , PLEASE post results...THANKS....Sly...
IF you do the work yourself , a word of advice;.....
Do NOT touch the bulb part of the lamp with your fingers...
The oil from your fingerprints can cause the bulb to explode ....
The bulb gets VERRY hot when it is on....

Good Luck....Sly....

Later...Ron.M...Cool...

blondebandit
New User

Jul 15, 2013, 9:09 PM

Post #5 of 10 (5332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] philips 50pl9220d/37 TV has picture issues, need help! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much for being so responsive I appreciate it! There is no light coming on should I still order the lamp and try it out. The seller seems like a very good one thank you for the hookup!

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 15, 2013, 11:30 PM

Post #6 of 10 (5328 views)
Shortcut

blondebandit;.....

I suspect the lamp....
My suggestion would be to try the lamp first......
IF it doesn't work , you send the lamp back & get your money back....

Remember;...
It's your TV.....
It's your money.....
It's YOUR call....

BTW:....
If you are female & lack the knowhow on how to do this , I'd also suggest you bring the replacement lamp along with the original to a reputable , honest & reasonably priced TV repair shop & let them do the swap...

God Luck...Sly...

Later...Ron.M....Cool...

blondebandit
New User

Jul 18, 2013, 11:51 PM

Post #7 of 10 (5311 views)
Shortcut

Ok, thank you very much! I contacted the ebay person you recommended and they do not do refunds, only exchanges. This being the case, should I get the generic brand or is that just a bad idea?

I definitely do want to try this option out though.

Thanks!

Ron.M
Veteran

Jul 19, 2013, 5:08 PM

Post #8 of 10 (5306 views)
Shortcut

blondebandit;.....

This being the case, should I get the generic brand or is that just a bad idea?

NO , I do NOT recommend you get a generic lamp & YES , it IS a bad idea !!!

I contacted the ebay person you recommended and they do not do refunds, only exchanges.

They HAVE to give you a refund upon request !!!!
Below is a pix of part of their listing;=>....

Take notice that he/she says in their listing "14 days money back or item exchange"
IF they refuse to give you your money back , there is a way to easily & quickly get your money back..
Either eBay OR PayPal WILL refund your money....
Provided , of course , you send it back UNdamaged , by registered mail within the 14 day period...
IF he/she causes ANY BS he/she can be reported to eBay & they will take his/her listing down.....
Here is the link to the pix;=>....
http://imageshack.us/a/img843/8244/41iv.jpg
Try & send him/her that link & tell them that IF they dont give you a refund should you need it , you WILL take action with eBay &/or PayPal...

PLEASE keep us posted on results...THANKS...Sly...

Have a GREAT day & wekend.....Sly....

Later...Ron.M....Cool...

Ron.M
Veteran

Aug 3, 2013, 5:06 PM

Post #9 of 10 (5253 views)
Shortcut

blondebandit;.....

Remember this;=>...

PLEASE keep us posted on results...THANKS...Sly...

It's been over 2 weeks now & no follow-up on what you did or didn't do....
We gave you some advice on what may be the problem & now it would be courteous , decent & nice of you to let us know how you made out...
THANKS...Sly...

Have a great day & weekend....Sly...

Later...Ron.M....Cool...

blondebandit
New User

Aug 3, 2013, 5:42 PM

Post #10 of 10 (5250 views)
Shortcut

We actually decided to go to a local place to be sure we were doing it right and we bought the brand name lamp for a little extra money to be sure. They tightened up a dmd cable and I think that is what the problem was because they said they didn't think it was the lamp. It is working fine now but the contrast of the shading is still messed up a little.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.16 s on (CGI/1.1)