Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
philips magnavox ptv910/55p8288a

Jabo77
New User

Feb 28, 2013, 5:14 AM

Post #1 of 17 (4561 views)
Shortcut
philips magnavox ptv910/55p8288a Can't Post

I just changed the fluid in the c r t's. All of the following is with the front screen off and the back cover off, so I could see if there was any smoke.lol. I plugged up the set and You could see the white light on the blue and green c r. T 's come on. Not the red. Then I pushed the power button on again the blue and green c r t 's white light came on as if they were about 2 fire Up. But instead, the set powered off. And it is blinking a number 2 flash code. Blink blink pause.. Blink blink. Can some one please tell me what I may have broken. Please! My wife said I was goin 2 destroy it and I can't let her be right! Thanks

Ron.M
Veteran

Feb 28, 2013, 8:46 PM

Post #2 of 17 (4546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jabo77] philips magnavox ptv910/55p8288a [In reply to] Can't Post

Jabo77;.....

How much electronic/TV repair background experience do you have ????

2 blinks indicate a problem in the vertical circuit...
Could be a connector loose or not seated all the way...
Could be something wrong in the vertical output circuit...
Without further diagnosis , it's a crap shoot...
Please answer my question & we'll go from there...
THANKS...Wink...

Later...Ron.M....Cool...
Veteran & Retired TV technician

Jabo77
New User

Mar 1, 2013, 7:09 AM

Post #3 of 17 (4537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron.M] philips magnavox ptv910/55p8288a [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Ron, thanks 4 the speedy response. As for your question goes, I have little to no exp with electronic circuitry. I am however a journeyman level electrician. Not that that means much with this. But I can read a meter if need be and i'm not scared 2 get elbow deep inside the set if you need me to. Now let me tell you a few more things bout my situation. When I powered ur the first time, all 3 c r t 's fired up and all 3 emitted there colors as it should. But then it shut down. I fig I had screwed Up. And I had cris crossed the red c r t wire and the green c r t wires off the yoke on the focus adjuster thingy.?? I switched them 2 correct position on focus adjuster and turned set on. That's when only the blue and green white light at bottom of c r t 's lit Up. Then this white light went out on both g and b. I them pushed power button on and the blue and green emitted there colors for bout 5 sec's and the set shut down and blink's twice repeatedly. I decide to swap the blue and the red c r t 's because the boards on them say red or blue. So I figured it was ok. And them when I turned set on the blue didn't work and the green and red where workin. I have put everything back where its supposed 2 be now. I just wanted 2 make sure the red c r t wasn't broke is why I did that. Tryin 2 figure the problem myself. But you see how far that got me. I appreciate any guidance. Thanks

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 1, 2013, 7:52 PM

Post #4 of 17 (4526 views)
Shortcut

Jabo77;.....

Your lack of electronic experience will be a handicap for you with this problem...

I have a couple/three questions...
1)...When you see the "green white light at bottom of c r t 's lit Up" , where exactly are you looking ???...
2)...When the set does come on even for a second , can you look into the lens at the CRT face & do you see a rectanglar box on the face in green , red or blue depending which CRT you are looking into ???
3)...OR do you see a thin line going from left to right across the face of the CRT ???

Please post results & I'll try to help you from there...
Can you take & post pix IF needed ???
THANKS....Sly....

Later...Ron.M....Cool...

Jabo77
New User

Mar 2, 2013, 2:16 AM

Post #5 of 17 (4522 views)
Shortcut

Hey Mr. Ron, I am sorry for my lack of experience in electronics. But not to toot my own horn, I do have a lot of common sense. So I should be able 2 follow where you lead me, if you have the patience. To answer your question. 1- I am referring 2 the glass part of the c r t. Just above the connector of the c r t. Where c r t plugs 2 the yoke. 2- I only see lines from left to right. The are not stationary however the left to right lines move upwards to the top then start over at the bottom. Like rolling and sometimes wiggling. Looks kind of light lightning bolts, but still right to left. 3- and yes sir I can post pic. As far as I know. I have never really tried except on face book.

(This post was edited by Jabo77 on Mar 4, 2013, 1:42 AM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 2, 2013, 11:38 PM

Post #6 of 17 (4511 views)
Shortcut

Jabo77;....

Common sense is good...
I have a better than normal amount of patience...
However , I know when it's time to quit chasing geese...
That said;...

What is a "glass tad" ???
The "yoke" is on the neck of the CRT slid all the way up to the top...
The CRT panel is on the very bottom of the CRT & is pushed on to a socket...

Clarify this;...

2)...When the set does come on even for a second , can you look into the lens at the CRT face & do you see a rectanglar box on the face in green , red or blue depending which CRT you are looking into ???

When the set first comes on , do you see the rectangular pix/box lit up ???..
Be careful how you do this...
The CRT may be at a high briteness level...
Creep up slowly on the lens to allow your eyes to adjust to the briteness before you fully look into the CRT..
That is important info...
The box/pix should be colored red , green or blue , depending which CRT you are looking into...
IF the pix/box is at high briteness , please post...
Did you have this problem before you changed the coolant ???..

When you changed the coolant , how did you do it ???
I need detailed step by step info as to how it was done...
What wires/cables did you disconnect if any ???
Did you remove the CRTs one at a time from the set ???
OR did you change the coolant with the CRTs in the set ???...
Did you disconnect ANY wires from the focus adjuster "thingy" ???

The lines you mention , are they straight across the "screen" or are they slanted...

PLEASE answer ALL my questions...THANKS....Smile....Smile....Smile...

Posting pix here is relatively easy....
Different from FaceBook...
IF & when we need them , I'll tell you how to do it..

Later...Ron.M....Cool...

Jabo77
New User

Mar 4, 2013, 2:23 AM

Post #7 of 17 (4484 views)
Shortcut

Hey Mr. Ron. Hows your weekend been? mine has been busy busy. well to answer your q's, 1) i misspoke calling it a yoke. i am actually refering to the just above where the crt panel plugs up to the crt at the socket. inside the glass tube about 1/4 of an inch above the socket. 4)as far as the coolant change, i took all 3 crt's out and took out the plugs and drained the nasty fluid out. even the red one was a lil nasty. i didn't think the bacteria would get in them from what i've read on line, but it was nasty also. then i took each apart and cleaned them and reassembled each one sepperatly first blue, green then red. i then refilled each on to the rim of the drain hole, slap full. then plugged each and placed them back on the metal frame inside the chasis. I did take all the ground wires, all the big red wires, all the wires that plugged in to the focus thing, and all the wires that conected the crt panels. By the crt wires, i mean the wires that connected the crt panels to each other and the set of wires that connected the crt panels to the larger boards at bottom of the chasis. i also took the set of 4 big wires from each crt's "yoke" that connected the large circuit board right of center at bottom of chasis a loose. And finally i took the small set of 4 wires from the yoke and connected to the board on the far left on the bottom of the chasis a loose. i didn't know that the crt panel boards would sepperate from the the crts. hind sight being what it is i would have unplugged the panels instead. but in my mind i thought the crt panels had to come out with the crt as one unit. the only way to take out as one unit is to unplug all those wires I know when i first tried to hook up all the wires i had several wrong. and i tried to power up with them wrong. that's when trouble began. i got a online manual now and i have put all wires in appropriate places. last night i checked all diodes, resistors and capacitors with my ohm meter by checking for both continuity and checking the resistance of each. there wher about 10 different components that had neither continuity, nor showed resistance. i'm not even sure if thats even the correct way to check those components, but thats where i am sitting at this point. if thats not the way to check please tell me how because i'm sure i popped some things by criss crossing my wires into the wrong connectors. seems to me if i am write with my component checking that replacing and soldering the "broke" components would really help, if not eleviate the problems. Now are you impressed with my common sense or are you laughing your ass off at my ignorance of the whole situation?????Blush

(This post was edited by Jabo77 on Mar 4, 2013, 2:30 AM)

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 5, 2013, 8:45 PM

Post #8 of 17 (4456 views)
Shortcut

Jabo77;....

I APOLOGIZE for the delay in replying...
We had a nasty poster that had to be banned...

Now are you impressed with my common sense or are you laughing your ass off at my ignorance of the whole situation?????Blush

The jury is still out on the common sense issue...
I would NEVER laugh my ass off at someone else's ignorance...NEVER !!!..

On the focus block are some high voltages around 3,000~8,000 volts...
There is also a G2 voltage that is considerably lower...
IF you had these 2 wires reversed on the focus/screen block , you could have blown out a bunch of transistors etc on each of the CRT modules...
What I'd like to try is this;...
Disconnect/remove all 3 CRT panels at the bottom of the CRTs..
Grab each panel/module on the sides & gently rock it from side to side & pull on the panel till it slides off...
IF it does not move or come off , there may be a clamp holding the panel on the CRT... STOP there & post what it looks like...
IF you get all 3 panels off OK . swing the panels out of the way from the CRTs & ANY other wiring or metal grounds...
On the green CRT panel (Center CRT panel) , disconnect connector marked 1883...
That will be a 10 pin connector closest to the CRT socket.
Keep the wiring part that goes to the large board on the bottom of the chassis away from the CRTs...
Here's the fun part...
Turn the TV on...
Be advised that due to the nature of certain defects , you may hear or see some arcing , snapping or hissing noises...
IF you do , turn the TV OFF IMMEDIATELY !!!!
IF you do not , see if the TV will stay on...

PLEASE post results...

THANKS....Sly....

Later...Ron.M....Cool...

jts1957
Veteran

Mar 6, 2013, 3:16 AM

Post #9 of 17 (4443 views)
Shortcut

Be advised that due to the nature of certain defects , you may hear or see some arcing , snapping or hissing noises...

Forgot to mention seeing/smelling the fire & smoke.Wink

-------------------------

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 6, 2013, 4:26 AM

Post #10 of 17 (4436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] philips magnavox ptv910/55p8288a [In reply to] Can't Post

jts1957;....

Forgot to mention seeing/smelling the fire & smoke.Wink

YUP , I did....
Not much of a possibility , tho...
Might have been a brain fart....Unsure...

Thanks...Smile...

Later...Ron.M...Cool...

Jabo77
New User

Mar 6, 2013, 8:51 AM

Post #11 of 17 (4434 views)
Shortcut

Hey Mr. Ron, I did as you said. I got all 3 panels off and away from the c r t's. And disconnected 1883. I turned on the set and sure enough it was hissing and I could see the c r t panel boards surge protectors, 1702 on the red c r t board, pulsating blue. Like a spark plug. Very fast ark on and off. It also did it on the green board surge protector as well. But luckily NO FIRE!!! Or any smoke. Angelic Before I could get up to turn set off, It shut down and started flashin a 2 code again.

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 6, 2013, 9:45 PM

Post #12 of 17 (4428 views)
Shortcut

Jabo77;....

OK , THANKS...
We/I need to find out why it's arcing (Hissing) at those spark gaps , 1702 on the red CRT Panel , 1802 on the green CRT panel...
I suspect there is hissing going on the blue panel at 1702 also...
Leave everything as it was for the test you just did...
Meaning the CRT panels off the CRTs , connector 1883 disconnected etc...
On the red CRT panel is a smaller connector 1875..
Blue also will be 1875 & green will be 1001...
Those connectors will be close to the CRT socket...
They may be "spade lug" type connectors with a small release tab you'll need to press to get it disconnected...
Disconnect ALL 3 & hang them away from the CRT panel , the base of the CRTs & all other wiring & metal grounds etc...
KEEP your hands , etc , AWAY from ALL the hanging panels & wires...
Turn on the TV...
Once again , if you hear arcing , snapping , turn the TV off immediately !!!
IF it still hisses , try to see exactly where it is at (from & to)....
If it does hiss & it doesn't sound like it's going on at 1001 or 1875 , but you still can hear it , take a close (NOT physically) look at the ends of the wires that you took off 1001 & 1875..
You may be able to see a small blue corona coming from the ends of those wires..

PS:...
Just for the heck of it...
Can you take a close up pix of the wiring side of the focus/screen block & post it ??
Be careful when you handle the block after you run the above test..
There may be some residual voltages that will give you a wake up call...Shocked...
I would like to see (refresh my memory) on the wires & the connection location configuration...
THANKS...Smile...

Please post results...THANKS...Smile...

Later..Ron.M....Cool...

(This post was edited by Ron.M on Mar 6, 2013, 9:53 PM)

Jabo77
New User

Mar 7, 2013, 9:17 PM

Post #13 of 17 (4414 views)
Shortcut

Mr. Ron, I followed your instructions and took a loose the 1001 and 1875's and turned it on. Its still hissing but not as loud. I don't hear the blue surge protector hissing and the green and red ones are. The red is the loudest. I don't see any caronas from the 3 wires I just look a loose. I'm at work now so i'll have 2 take pic later. Also you'll have 2 tell me how 2 post them. Thanks

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 7, 2013, 11:38 PM

Post #14 of 17 (4410 views)
Shortcut

Jabo77;...
Am going to send you a PM with posting pix info....
Do NOT be scared off by the lengthy detailed info....
Basically , you take some GOOD , CLEAR pix , upload them & copy & paste them here...

Later...Ron.M....Cool...

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 12, 2013, 6:59 PM

Post #15 of 17 (4370 views)
Shortcut

Jabo77;.....

Well , it's been 5 days since you & I posted last !!!!...

You having a problem posting pix , give up on the TV or a problem with me ????....

PLEASE reply.....THANKS....Sly...

Have a GREAT day & week...Sly.....

Later...Ron.M....Cool....

Jabo77
New User

Mar 13, 2013, 2:57 PM

Post #16 of 17 (4346 views)
Shortcut

Hey mr. Ron, no sir no problems wid you at all nor have I give Up on the set. I've just had the stomach flu. As well as both my kids boy 3 and girl 6. Been a lil crazy. I'll get 2 it tonight or tomorrow. Sorry

Ron.M
Veteran

Mar 13, 2013, 10:27 PM

Post #17 of 17 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Jabo77;.....

NO apology neccessary...

Sorry to hear about you & the kids having the flu....Unsure...

Take your time & you & your kids GET HEALTHY !!!...

No rush....

Have a GREAT day & week...Sly...

Later...Ron.M....Cool...

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.18 s on (CGI/1.1)