Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: Projection TV Forum:
rca ctc195 chirping

RBen
New User

Dec 20, 2004, 7:49 PM

Post #1 of 3 (3313 views)
Shortcut
rca ctc195 chirping Can't Post

I have a RCA ctc 195 series model p46921 that died so I replaced the flyback now all I get is a chirping sound when plugged in. What other possible components could be the problem, and how would I identify them?

RJA20
New User

Jan 1, 2005, 3:58 AM

Post #2 of 3 (3286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RBen] rca ctc195 chirping [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, My rca had the same chirping sound. You replaced one of the reasons why it is chirping. Most of the time it is the horizontal transistor that is causing the chirping. You need to locate the horizontal transistor which is located near a heat sink. Not to far from the fly-back. I am not sure on your model, but it should be strapped to a Heat sink. The transistor will measure a short. Hope this information will be of help. Good luck. Crazy

hometown elect
New User

Jan 3, 2005, 1:17 AM

Post #3 of 3 (3278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RBen] rca ctc195 chirping [In reply to] Can't Post

The Horizontal Output Transistor is shorted. The reason for this, on this chassis and the CTC197 one, is cold joints from the driver transformer to the base of the HO TR. Especially the small coupling coil, it always has bad joints. This causes the HO TR to fail and the SMPS goes into protect mode...Chirping sound. Change the HO TR, and solder! Your original flyback maybe ok?

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.14 s on (CGI/1.1)