Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
42' LG Plasma TV is it worth it?

11Bravo
New User

Dec 6, 2008, 11:14 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2386 views)
Shortcut
42' LG Plasma TV is it worth it? Can't Post

I found 2 42' LG Plasma tv's for sale in my area. Both tv's are broken...One is for sale by a pawn shop or something, for $110 they said they tested and it works fine, the screen is broken, was damaged at their store, and they offer a money-back guarantee on it.
The other tv is for sale by a private owner, she got it in 2005, she said one day it just wouldn't start, it appears to pwr up (white screen) but nothing else. She took it to a repair shop (that LG recommended), and they said it needs the following boards need replaced: y-sus main, y-drive up, y-drive down, she wants $100 for it.
I want to buy both of these and part the broken screen one out...I have a decent electronics backgroun, Biomedical Equipment Repair training, but since school haven't really done a whole lot of hands on electronic repair, also don't currently have any equipment and have never worked on a tv.
Is this something I should even try or am I just asking for trouble trying to do something w/these broken tvs???

TIA

techchris
Veteran

Dec 6, 2008, 11:33 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [11Bravo] 42' LG Plasma TV is it worth it? [In reply to] Can't Post

beware of LG.they often used different chassis in tv's with the same model number so you could end up with two different sets.Personally I would not touch this for anything.

rrobor
Veteran

Dec 7, 2008, 12:24 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] 42' LG Plasma TV is it worth it? [In reply to] Can't Post

A high proportion of Plasma tvs are made by LG and rebadged. As Chris says there are many variations in panels, some even look totally different but are direct replacements, others look Ok but are not interchangable. Its a huge risk and the chances are you will come to grief.

11Bravo
New User

Dec 7, 2008, 9:50 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rrobor] 42' LG Plasma TV is it worth it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm seeing a pattern here.....Ok what about just buying the TV with the bad boards
order the boards off Ebay, total would be about $200, and a repair manual??? Or am I still
just asking for more headache than it's worth....?

Paulpablo
Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2008, 11:23 PM

Post #5 of 7 (2360 views)
Shortcut

It is obvious that you are not paying attention! You just got good professional advice from professionals in this business, so take it and run with it!

11Bravo
New User

Dec 8, 2008, 12:27 AM

Post #6 of 7 (2356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Paulpablo] 42' LG Plasma TV is it worth it? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It is obvious that you are not paying attention! You just got good professional advice from professionals in this business, so take it and run with it!

I hope the rest of your contribution to humanity isn't as worthless...

rrobor
Veteran

Dec 8, 2008, 7:12 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2346 views)
Shortcut

I suggest you buy and try. Its obvious you dont want negative advice so go ahead and find out for yourself. I would love to be a fly on your wall when you do.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)