Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
42" No Screen but has sound

09Challenger RT
New User

Jun 18, 2010, 10:32 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1403 views)
Shortcut
42" No Screen but has sound Can't Post

I have a Digital Design's 42" bought from HSN Worked great for 2 years. Last time I turned on I heard a pop and smelled a burned electronic smell. I have sound and when I turn it on the Digital Design is displayed bright and clear across the screen and then it goes black.
I tore it down hoping to find a popped capacitor or something obvious like a black chared resistor or wire. I found nothing at all but I do see 7 boards. I replaced 1 for $30 (no luck) and ofcourse the rest of the boards are more expensive. This TV was $1,100 2 years ago and now they are like $600. I don't want to replace 3-4 hundred dollars worth of boards. I just want to know which one it is.
I am leaning toward the LC420WU5 BACK LIGHT INVERTER boards but there is a master and a slave board. I found both on ebay for $150. If I am wrong I will be out $180 now. Or I have seen these boards sepparate for about $60 but which one do I get or do I not need them at all?
I did notice the Master board has a bright blue light that turns on for a few seconds and goes out the slave does nothing. Is that light supposed to stay on or is the slave board supposed to have the light to?
Help

darstr
User

Jun 25, 2010, 4:32 PM

Post #2 of 2 (1373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [09Challenger RT] 42" No Screen but has sound [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy You might be on to something with the inverters. I would get both, but inspect them very close first. If you can't find anything scarred or popped from the loud pop that you heard, I would be weary in buying them. Typicaly if you your backlights never turn on then you have inverter or power supply issues. If the turn on for a sec and then shut back off, that is normally a bad ccfl (or lamp) which would mean you have a bad panel. Good luck my friend

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)