Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Audio connections not working

jabo1
New User

Nov 15, 2015, 5:48 AM

Post #1 of 12 (1699 views)
Shortcut
Audio connections not working Can't Post

Just found this site and probably not in right forum, but I need help. Last week I bought myself a NEW tv/Samsung 40 inch LED (non smart) and like it very much. My old Sony 27" flat screen of 15 yrs was replaced. Previously I had my Aiwai stereo plugged in the back with RCA cables red/white and was able to listen to tv through really nice sounding speakers.
Here's where I'm lost, my new tv has RCA as well as HDMI connections on the rear. The RCA has red/white audio connections, so I thought I would hook them up just as before for 15 yrs. WRONG, nothing happens, no sound even with spare cables. When I did a google search on this, I found this was a SAMSUNG PROBLEM from reading about others who had bought like I did.
DID I BUY THE WRONG TV???????? Please help a senior citizen out.
David g. Smile

jts1957
Veteran

Nov 15, 2015, 11:05 AM

Post #2 of 12 (1690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jabo1] Audio connections not working [In reply to] Can't Post

RTFM? ALL TV connections and operations are there, explained

You provide US no means to look it up for you.

-------------------------

Repair man
Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2015, 5:27 AM

Post #3 of 12 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Hi David, yes this is the right forum, I'm sure we can help.

If you read the label beside or near the RCA jacks on your TV, see if they say 'audio out' or 'audio in', you may be connected to an audio input. Many of the newer TVs don't have RCA audio out jacks, instead they use either a digital optical jack or a 3.5mm jack. If you give us the model number of your Samsung we can maybe look it up & let you know the proper cable to use.

A second option you could try is to run your audio straight out of your cable box (or satellite etc. or whatever you're using for your signal source) & go directly to your stereo; if they have RCA audio out jacks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Nov 20, 2015, 5:25 AM)

jabo1
New User

Nov 16, 2015, 5:56 AM

Post #4 of 12 (1673 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repair man] Audio connections not working [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info, in looking @ the back of tv, the two RCA plugs doed not say in or out, but looking above that, there is a audio connection marked audio out. I believe it said optical. Will the digital to analog audio converter I saw on ebay correct my problem ? I have not even thought about looking on the back of my Dish receiver to see if it has RCA connectors. The cost of the converter is not expensive, question is will it solve my proble?
David g.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2015, 6:31 AM

Post #5 of 12 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Yes a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) will work, it's exactly what you need (I get mine from eBay too for around $10-$20). You will need an optical cable as well (sometimes called a toslink cable) or maybe the one you saw on eBay will come with the optical cable.

When you get optical cables they generally come with little protective caps over the tip that has to be removed before inserting them into your optical jack on the TV & the Digital to analog converter. We get TVs in the shop all the time where people don't realize this & the protective tip gets stuck in the optical jack. The optical cable is also shaped to only fit in one direction.

To connect you would plug the optical cable in the back of your TV then from there to the digital to analog converter then your RCA cables from the converter to your stereo. The digital to analog converter will need power but will probably come with a small power supply (some eBay vendors don't supply the power supply) .

If your dish receiver has RCA audio out, this will also work & you won't need the D to A converter although if you use the D to A converter method then you should be able to vary the volume with your TV remove whereas if you connect from your satellite receiver to your stereo you have to use your stereo remote to adjust volume.

Let us know how you make out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you (or anyone reading this post) have any further questions or need clarification please feel free to contact me direct; you can find my email address by clicking on my user-name.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Nov 16, 2015, 6:36 AM)

jabo1
New User

Nov 16, 2015, 5:44 PM

Post #6 of 12 (1661 views)
Shortcut

You have made my day if this works. My dish receiver has both RCA and the OPTICAL cables. Would it be easier for me to use the connections on my Stereo RCA connectors, too the RCA on the Dish Receiver, then too the Audio RCA connectors on my TV. Will this be the best ? You don't possibly have a diagram do you ? At 74, I'm just not as sharp as I once was. I waited 15 yrs for this new TV, I just want it to work.
David g.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2015, 3:26 AM

Post #7 of 12 (1638 views)
Shortcut

David, I received your email, not sure if you got my reply? I can draw a wiring diagram for you. Could you send me the model number of your dish receiver & your TV & I'll look them up to see their inputs & out options. Or are you able to take a picture of the back view of both the dish receiver & TV & send that? Either way will work for me so I can see exactly what I'm dealing with & I'll draw the diagram accordingly.

Dan

Learn Plasma TV Repair

jabo1
New User

Nov 18, 2015, 8:40 AM

Post #8 of 12 (1633 views)
Shortcut

Dan :
Sorry for the late reply. I will try and get some photo's of each tomorrow. OK if I send them to email??
BTW, I ordered the box/cable 3' with charger from Parts W/Hse, should arrive Thursday. I think that's best and easiest for me. Optical from TV to Box, RCA R/L to stereo. I have an Aiwai A/M, F/M, CASSETT, CD, & AUX settings, with a lot of base/treble, which makes for a really nice sounding system. It's @ least 20 yrs old.
David g.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2015, 8:56 AM

Post #9 of 12 (1621 views)
Shortcut

Yes, feel free to email direct. I just got a shipment in of the Digital to Analog converters too (I sell them in our retail store / repair shop). By the way you've described in this last post you seem to have it figured out the best way to connect, it's exactly the way I'd connect it; this will give you better audio control because you can basically leave your Aiwia amp set at a fixed medium volume level then control the volume on your TV up or down & it will vary through your amp... Let me know how everything works out for you.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

jabo1
New User

Nov 20, 2015, 2:52 AM

Post #10 of 12 (1605 views)
Shortcut

Dan, it does not work. I hooked it up per instructions, just like you suggested, I've double/triple checked and it still does not work. Is it possible I got a DUDD ?
David g.

jabo1
New User

Nov 20, 2015, 3:15 AM

Post #11 of 12 (1602 views)
Shortcut

Dan, All is well after I took the optic cable and swapped ends of tv and converter. I had no idea that there is a beam of red light going through cable. My how electronics have changed for my knowledge. Good thing I found you, than's again.
David g.

Repair man
Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2015, 5:18 AM

Post #12 of 12 (1599 views)
Shortcut

That's great news, although swapping ends of the optical cable should not have had any affect? Maybe one of the ends was not inserted far enough the first time but the main thing is you have it working.

Yes, that red light is really something isn't it (no wires, just a light beam; a fiber optic cable) it's carrying the digital optical information from your TV to the converter then it's changing into the analog signal that your amp needs.

I hope that anyone else having the same problem that stumbles on to this post will be able to figure it out too through our conversation.

Learn Plasma TV Repair

(This post was edited by Repair man on Nov 20, 2015, 5:20 AM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.23 s on (CGI/1.1)