Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Connect cable to TV without a TV box?

benrique
New User

Oct 7, 2015, 10:13 PM

Post #1 of 2 (1002 views)
Shortcut
Connect cable to TV without a TV box? Can't Post

I have comcast TV + internet combo service. But I didn't watch TV at all so I never bothered getting a tv box. The tv service is connected simply because the sales rep told me in this way my bill would be lower than internet only.

But recently I thought hey why don't hook up TV? So I used a cable splitter to split the cable connection and connect the cable to TV, but to find there is no signal when I switch TV to ANT/Cable mode (it was on HDMI mode all the time for computer connection).

Is there something wrong with my setup? Do I have to have a TV box between the splitter and TV?

Thanks for you time.

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 7, 2015, 11:37 PM

Post #2 of 2 (997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [benrique] Connect cable to TV without a TV box? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been awhile (2009). I think if you have set scan for cable channels with direct connection to cable may result in a couple of channels. Possibly just placards with instructions on how to obtain.

If you had TV cable service back then, they wanted you to connect their boxes (2 were given free to each customer) between your TV and the wall wire. This way the could deliver PPV, VOD as well as digital encrypted channels. Now they could tell what each and every item was recording/watching. No more cable ready tuning. Each VCR/PVR had to now have its own box to select station. Of course, for an additional monthly fee you could rent their PVR.

My mother had been paying for cable. She passed away and I didn't want to continue with it as I was getting my worldwide movies & TV 'shows' free via downloading as I still do. If I want to watch certain channels 'Live' and I an willing to go with sub standard quality I can, but unless it's a news event, I'll wait for the download.

So even with a now-a-daze TV you will probably need something additional from Comcast for an addition fee.

And remember they WILL tell you that all this is for YOUR convenience.

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Oct 7, 2015, 11:39 PM)

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.20 s on (CGI/1.1)