Help with horizontal lines on Samsung UN40D6000SFXZA

jat255
New User

Jul 5, 2015, 8:09 PM

Post #1 of 9 (2499 views)
Shortcut
Help with horizontal lines on Samsung UN40D6000SFXZA Can't Post

Hello,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me diagnose a problem that I've been having with my Samsung TV. This set has had some issues ever since we first bought it, and had a main board, speaker, and panel replacement (all under warranty) within the first year of ownership. Things more or less settled down, and now, about 3.5 years into ownership, a new problem has developed.

Problem:
There are thin (single pixel) horizontal lines at the top of the screen that are visible whenever something is illuminated anywhere farther down the screen. They remain stationary, and only change depending on what is displayed on the screen (i.e. they change color based on what else is being displayed on the screen). Here are two photos of them in action.

In the first, you can see that they are visible above the information panel (at the very top of the screen and photo), even though nothing else is being displayed on the screen:
https://goo.gl/...os/BywGXZmbxKdybwvx7

In the second, I took a higher magnification photo of the lines in action at the very top of the panel:
https://goo.gl/...os/uNy2TtcvFJhTy9XSA

I haven't noticed any real changes in the lines since they started (i.e. more lines, more intense, moving of lines, etc.) but they are always consistently there.

I have also noticed sporadic "flickering" of the overall brightness of the panel, but that seems inconsistent and has actually seemed to resolve itself, but I would not be surprised if it came back.

Troubleshooting:
As for trying to figure out what is going on, I've tried a few things based off of my layman's knowledge of electronics/what I have seen on Youtube. I've tried squeezing around the panel edges (to no avail). I took the back cover off and inspected the main, power, and t-con boards. I did not notice any particularly bulging or leaking caps or anything out of the ordinary (to my eyes). I unplugged and re-seated all the cables that I could immediately access, but nothing that I tried has made any difference in the problem(s).

My hope is that someone here more knowledgeable than I might have some ideas of what I could do next to troubleshoot and recommend any repairs short of replacing the whole panel. The TV originally cost $800, so a replacement of the panel would likely be silly at this point compared to buying a new TV, but if I can save this one for a few $100 or less, that would be ideal!

Thanks,
Josh

(This post was edited by jat255 on Jul 5, 2015, 9:57 PM)

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 5, 2015, 8:37 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jat255] Help with horizontal lines on Samsung UN40D6000SFXZA [In reply to] Can't Post

May want to look at that number again. Other than lines 'picture' is normal?
What were symptoms for the warranty repair?

IF does same on ALL inputs ...

Possibilities in ascending cost order:
1) Dirty ENDS on flat ribbon cables attached to TCON (Horizontal lines are very rarely the TCON)
2) TCON board (Horizontal lines are very rarely the TCON)
3) Main board (Unlikely, but IF you can get one cheaply, may be worth a try.)
4) Panel

-------------------------

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jul 5, 2015, 9:58 PM)

jat255
New User

Jul 5, 2015, 9:12 PM

Post #3 of 9 (2493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Help with horizontal lines on Samsung UN40D60000SFXZA [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply, jts. I'm certain that the part number is correct. It is a 40" 2011 series Samsung UNXXD6000 TV purchased from Paul's TV (on Amazon).

Other than the lines, the TV behaves totally as expected. The picture looks fine, the sound works fine, etc. This problem exhibits itself on all inputs, and like I showed in the pictures, even when there is no input at all (just showing info panels on the screen).

The original warranty repairs were (I think) unrelated. We initially called them in for problems with bleed-through on the panel during dark scenes that was quite distracting. They replaced the panel, but then immediately after the repair, one of the speakers began crackling, and the TV would power-cycle (never shut off) if you turned it off using the touch panel on the bottom of the set (although it worked fine using the remote). We called them in again, and they replaced both the speaker and the main board, which fixed the sound problem, but the power issue persisted. In the time between these two repairs, the set went out of warranty (1 year post purchase), and Samsung wanted another $200 or something to continue the warranty or they wouldn't pay for the guy to come out again to fix the power issue. We just decided we could live with that problem, since it worked fine using the remote.

Last week when I had the back of the set, I discovered that the connector from the touch panel controls to the main board looked all torn up and not fully seated, and that one of the pins on the receiving connector (on the touch panel board) was bent and touching another pin. I delicately tried to fix it, but ended up breaking the bent pin. Coincidentally, the touch panel now works fine, with the exception that the red power LED does not light up.

From the looks of it, it looks like a lot of these secondary problems arose from a "less than careful" repair technician. I'm beginning to think that if we had just lived with the bleed-through on the panel, we wouldn't have had any of these problems! Unsure

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 5, 2015, 9:54 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jat255] Help with horizontal lines on Samsung UN40D6000SFXZA [In reply to] Can't Post

Samsung UNXXD6000 TV

Compare with what's in YOUR subject.

(This post was edited by jts1957 on Jul 5, 2015, 9:58 PM)

jat255
New User

Jul 5, 2015, 9:56 PM

Post #5 of 9 (2489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Help with horizontal lines on Samsung UN40D60000SFXZA [In reply to] Can't Post

Touche... The 60000 series is the gold-plated special edition, of course!

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 5, 2015, 10:00 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jat255] Help with horizontal lines on Samsung UN40D60000SFXZA [In reply to] Can't Post

Pure platinum.

jat255
New User

Jul 5, 2015, 10:19 PM

Post #7 of 9 (2482 views)
Shortcut

In response to your possibilities, is it your gut feeling that this is a panel problem, rather than a board problem? Most of what I have read online seems to indicate that horizontal lines are almost always an indication the panel is on its way out and that only a replacement will save it.

I'd be surprised if the ribbon cables were somehow dirty, given that the problem just sort of randomly popped up, but I suppose I could give cleaning them a try with some isopropyl.

jat255
New User

Jul 5, 2015, 10:28 PM

Post #8 of 9 (2480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jat255] Help with horizontal lines on Samsung UN40D60000SFXZA [In reply to] Can't Post

If it helps as well, here are photos of the boards inside the set that I took while I had the back off. I don't have tons of electronics experience, but I can do basic soldering and such. I didn't see anything immediately that looked suspicious, but perhaps another pair of (infinitely more experienced) eyes might have another opinion.

Power: https://goo.gl/...os/3S3oShEmkxgQ5mbz8
https://goo.gl/...os/VNQngLFaEDo3Tesp8
Main: https://goo.gl/...os/8vdTM3h6ooJ2wQh67
TCON: https://goo.gl/...os/64oiK8McaAS3jc5F9

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 5, 2015, 11:02 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2474 views)
Shortcut

Not high enough res to inspect. I believe it's panel anyway.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)