Insignia LCD no picture/popping speakers

onetimer555
New User

Aug 2, 2015, 10:46 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1037 views)
Shortcut
Insignia LCD no picture/popping speakers Can't Post

Hi all,

TV model is NS-L55260A13 (55 inch Insignia LCD, 2 years old)

Several months ago the picture went out while using the TV and it started making a strange popping sound. The buttons on the TV became unresponsive. I had to unplug the TV to make it stop.

After powering it back up, it was fine for several months. A couple weeks ago the same thing happened. However now when I power the TV back up, it only lasts 30 seconds or so until the same thing happens. TV works just fine for 30 seconds, then picture goes out, popping noise starts, buttons become unresponsive.

The backlight is working just fine. I have confirmed that the popping noise is coming from the speakers, and it accelerates over time. If the TV menu is on screen, it will remain on when the problem occurs. Anything else, and the screen goes completely blank (backlight stays on!)

I have opened up the TV and all the capacitors and both inverter boards seem fine, in my very amateur opinion. Wondering if main board or T-con board might be the problem, but I would like to have a better idea before I start buying replacement parts.

Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 2, 2015, 11:48 PM

Post #2 of 4 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onetimer555] Insignia LCD no picture/popping speakers [In reply to] Can't Post

Check caps on the power supply too (NOT just for domed tops). A bad cap can 'look good' to the eye.

-------------------------

onetimer555
New User

Aug 2, 2015, 11:59 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Insignia LCD no picture/popping speakers [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your response, I have a few follow up questions...

1) When I said I checked the capacitors, I just gave them an eyeball test and looked for bulging. If I am going to test them further would I need a voltmeter or similar tool?

2) The TV works fine for 30 seconds before going haywire -- does that show that the problem is almost certainly a capacitor somewhere?

jts1957
Veteran

Aug 3, 2015, 12:29 AM

Post #4 of 4 (1014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [onetimer555] Insignia LCD no picture/popping speakers [In reply to] Can't Post

1) A Capacitance Meter for value and something to check ESR Equivalent Series Resistance.

2) That's why it's called Troubleshooting. Visual checks first, then voltage? It's NOT an exact science.

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.22 s on (CGI/1.1)