Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
LG Keeps Restarting

igendreau
New User

Jul 5, 2015, 2:33 PM

Post #1 of 2 (963 views)
Shortcut
LG Keeps Restarting Can't Post

I have an LG 42LK520 LCD television. It will work for a bit, then will just restart itself over and over. If you turn it off for a while and then turn it on, it will work for 20 min or so, then start it's auto-rebooting circle.

Suspecting overheating, I popped off the back. Then I turned it on while aiming a box fan at the back of it to try and keep it cool. TV has been running with no issue since then.

So the question is, how do I cool it? Is it most likely the processor? Mine has a small metal thing to dissipate heat. I saw a youtube video of a guy installing a processor fan in his, but didn't include very much detail of how he made that happen. I have lots of experience custom building PCs, so I'm familiar with CPU cooling devices... but not so much on the TV side of things.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jts1957
Veteran

Jul 5, 2015, 6:32 PM

Post #2 of 2 (955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [igendreau] LG Keeps Restarting [In reply to] Can't Post

Try a CPU fan over each suspect board, or wait until starts to cycle and gently spray suspect parts with freeze spray. Pushing gently on heat sinked parts may also help show defective board (I'm sure you are familiar with BGA ICs but could also be a good old-fashioned cold solder joint.).
Once located, see if you can obtain a GOOD replacement board. (Or see about mounting a CPU fan onto / over suspect board / part.) P201 has 5V and I believe 12V pins.

-------------------------

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)