Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Leaking picture tube coolant, sparks from Sony 43"

fxrob
New User

Jun 10, 2003, 5:30 PM

Post #1 of 2 (2057 views)
Shortcut
Leaking picture tube coolant, sparks from Sony 43" Can't Post

Ok, I finally figured out the source of the arcing from my 43" Sony (KP-43T70). The picture tube has a clear/white goop that is running down onto the circuit board at the bottom. When you turn the tv on, it arcs from the 1 circuit board, and sometimes makes a hissing/squeeling noise. I have noticed that all 3 picture tubes have this clearish looking goop (almost looks like silicon sealer) on the circuit board, but only one of them is arcing. Are all 3 picture tubes going to need to be sealed up and refilled with coolant? The picture looks fine when it's not arcing, but I've stopped watching it since it's been happening more frequently. I'm hoping the hissing/squeeling noise is not a seperate problem. The tv is only 3 years old, and doesn't get more than 3 hours a day of use on average. I'm a bit dissapointed in Sony on this one. If I need to have all 3 tubes resealed, how much am I looking at? Thanks for any help.

fxrob
New User

Jun 11, 2003, 1:45 PM

Post #2 of 2 (2050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fxrob] Leaking picture tube coolant, sparks from Sony 43" [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I just got an estimate for fixing it...all 3 tubes are leaking coolant and need resealed. $775!!!!! I only paid $1300 for the tv. What do I do now? I can get a brand new HD ready one for $1500. Any advice?

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)