Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
Panasonic CT-32HL15, red-orange picture, turns off spontaneously

04TSX
New User

Apr 24, 2007, 3:42 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2235 views)
Shortcut
Panasonic CT-32HL15, red-orange picture, turns off spontaneously Can't Post

I bought my Panasonic CT-32HL15 in July of 2005. It's a 32 inch flat-screen CRT HDTV.
A few weeks ago I turned on the TV and everything seemed to be fine. I went to another room for a minute and when I went back to the TV, it had turned off by itself. The power indicator was flashing (I think 5 flashes then a pause). I tried to turn it back on, but it wouldn't turn on. I unplugged the TV for a minute then turned it back on to find that the picture had a fuzzy red-orange color to it with lines horizontally. The TV again turned off by itself after a few seconds. I tried a few more times and it kept doing the same thing.
Any ideas on how this can be repaired? How difficult would it be for me to repair it myself and how much would it cost me?
I wish I had purchased the warranty, but I really didn't think this TV would have any problems this quickly. Is it normal to have such problems in less than 2 years?
Thanks in advance.

techchris
Veteran

Apr 24, 2007, 7:20 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [04TSX] Panasonic CT-32HL15, red-orange picture, turns off spontaneously [In reply to] Can't Post

suspect tube faulty,internal short circuit on red gun.Or if you are lucky maybe bad solder joints on the crt base but thats unlikely on panasonic.get a local tech to estimate first.if it is the tube then the cost will be more than the tv is worth.and yes its quite normal for failure under 2years old.

04TSX
New User

Apr 24, 2007, 1:24 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [techchris] Panasonic CT-32HL15, red-orange picture, turns off spontaneously [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, it sounds like it might not be worth getting it repaired. I tried looking with the SEARCH feature on this forum and some people with somewhat similar problems mentioned replacing the fuse. Is it worth trying to replace the fuse to see what happens?
I've never had major problems with any TV's in the past. I still can't believe I spent over $800 on this TV less than 2 years ago and I might just have to throw it away now.
Do Panasonics specifically have a bad reputation for things like this? I've been looking into getting a new TV -- possibly a SONY flat-screen CRT 34 inch HDTV. Should I purchase the extended warranty if I buy the SONY? Is it likely that I will have problems with that TV within the first several years?
Thanks.

shadetree
Veteran

Apr 24, 2007, 5:39 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [04TSX] Panasonic CT-32HL15, red-orange picture, turns off spontaneously [In reply to] Can't Post

most crt's have a 2yr warranty you would have to pay labor

04TSX
New User

Apr 24, 2007, 8:32 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2218 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadetree] Panasonic CT-32HL15, red-orange picture, turns off spontaneously [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately, my Panasonic only had a 1 year warranty. I had someone take a look at the TV, and he gave me an estimate of $175-200 to fix it. I'm not sure if it's worth it considering the fact that there is no guarantee/warranty on his repair and I could get a new SONY for less than $600 right now.

shadetree
Veteran

Apr 24, 2007, 9:22 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2213 views)
Shortcut

with the estimate he gave you it must not be the crt that would be more

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)