Crumbtrail TV Forums: TV Equipment: TV Repair Forum:
RCA 36 inch F36648 dead

Calphool
New User

Sep 22, 2004, 10:09 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2526 views)
Shortcut
RCA 36 inch F36648 dead Can't Post

I fell asleep watching my RCA 36 inch tv (model F36648), and when I woke up, it was completely dead, making a strange hissing sound, and smelled a little of ozone. A couple of weeks ago, it acted strange where it wouldn't power on, but the standby LED would work (it responded to the power button). After an hour or so, it spontaneously started working, so I didn't think anything about it. Now it's totally dead, and any time it is plugged in, it makes a hissing sound. It doesn't respond to the power button at all.

Any ideas?

mel
Veteran

Sep 22, 2004, 11:34 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Calphool] RCA 36 inch F36648 dead [In reply to] Can't Post

The hissing and ozone smell denotes high voltage arcing and RCA seems to have a high failure rate on their flyback transformers. The catch is that this shouldn't occur unless the set is turned on. In any case, it looks like shop time for this set because I think that is the only way that someone will be able to pinpoint the failure. Good Luck

Calphool
New User

Sep 23, 2004, 1:30 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mel] RCA 36 inch F36648 dead [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the post, Mel. I had someone come over and take a look at it, and they confirmed that both the flyback and some transistor are bad. Unfortunately after labor, replacing the flyback and this transistor will cost over $300. That's too much for a TV I paid $600 for a couple of years ago (it's only 23 months old, if you can believe that! No more RCAs for me.) Anybody need a boat anchor?

So, since I'm going to be replacing this lemon, does anybody have any advice on purchasing another 36 inch standard TV? I don't want to get another lemon. Overall, who seems to have the most sturdy product on the market right now for standard TVs?

dvm
New User

Sep 23, 2004, 4:06 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2491 views)
Shortcut

Go to http://www.partsolver.com . Provide the brand and model number, and the result will be the most popular replacement OEM part numbers and rather high prices.

go to http://www.electronix.com/catalog/ . Insert the OEM part number to get a lower price than the web site above. For example an RCA flyback transformer #237506 is only U.S. $8.00 ; and horizontal output transistor #237470 is only $0.99 .

See other threads to learn how to do it. Look at "36" TV died and chirping" or "RCA Flyback Transformer"

mel
Veteran

Sep 23, 2004, 11:02 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2480 views)
Shortcut

My personal favorite is the Panasonic but I usually say any MAJOR brand that best suits you personal preferences except RCA, Zenith definitely not; Philips/Magnavox questionable; Sony (in my opinion) a good set but overpriced and doesn't usually last as long as some of the other brands

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.19 s on (CGI/1.1)