Sony KDL-40S2010 irritating input issue

djdaveinpa
New User

Oct 27, 2015, 7:11 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Sony KDL-40S2010 irritating input issue Can't Post

HELP!
I have this TV with an issue I'm sure can be fixed by replacing a board (guess).
Firstly, let me say I am not an electronics guru. I am an electrician by trade, and did quite a bit of soldering (not smd) in my day, so please consider me a novice.

The problem:
TV works fine for an undisclosed amount of time, then the video and sound go out like you changed input. Screen is black, with clock display showing. If I go into the menu and change back to my current input all is good until it happens again. There is no set time. can be 3 min. or an hour later. I do not own a scope, nor do I know how to operate one properly.. but I do have a good DIMM.

If someone knowledgeable could walk me through what to check, or clean, ore anything it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I did a factory reset with no result. Also, I have not opened this tv yet.

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 27, 2015, 9:45 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [djdaveinpa] Sony KDL-40S2010 irritating input issue [In reply to] Can't Post

Crack it open. It may have something to say.

-------------------------

djdaveinpa
New User

Oct 27, 2015, 10:22 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jts1957] Sony KDL-40S2010 irritating input issue [In reply to] Can't Post

I opened it up. Quite clean other than a few bug carcasses. I cannot find any apparent burnt components, or loose connections.

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 27, 2015, 10:36 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [djdaveinpa] Sony KDL-40S2010 irritating input issue [In reply to] Can't Post

Puffed wheat electrolytics, prior technician's notes, flashing LED indicators or stays on correct input with keypad disconnected?

djdaveinpa
New User

Oct 28, 2015, 7:29 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1100 views)
Shortcut

The back was never opened before.
Checked for puffy electronics, cant find a one. Unplugged the power/vol/chan/menu keypad and still malfunctioning. I'm surprised no one on here has run into this issue with a sony. The LED indicators are all acting normal. No code flashes at all.

jts1957
Veteran

Oct 28, 2015, 10:53 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1099 views)
Shortcut

http://imgur.com/r2NyR0C

djdaveinpa
New User

Oct 31, 2015, 6:13 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1081 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for your help. I bit the bullet and bought another identical tv that wouldn't turn on for parts. After trial and error, and some pcb swapping my issue was resolved The QS board was the culprit.

Search for (options) - Page loaded in: 0.21 s on (CGI/1.1)